Clay bar

Just given it its first proper clean pre winter,. Snow foam, pressure wash/shampoo, CLAY BAR and wax.

honestly, if you've never clayed before do it. Once or twice a year and it isn't a big job. You'll be amazed what it picks up and the 'squeaky clean' is satisfying. I use one of these http://www.bilthamber.com/waxes-polishes-and-clay-bars/auto-clay

• Like 1

Hi, I'm wanting to do this having never done it before.  When you use the clay bar do you have to spray some lubricant on at the same time?  When finished do you then wax or polish or both and if so in what order?

7 minutes ago, Caymanr said:

Hi, I'm wanting to do this having never done it before.  When you use the clay bar do you have to spray some lubricant on at the same time?  When finished do you then wax or polish or both and if so in what order?

I've only done it twice before on my old car. Some need a special lubricant I believe, the one I linked too just needs water sprayed on with a cheap plant sprayer. I just gave a quick rinse after, chamois off dry then wax. The paint is in good nick, no obvious swirls etc so didn't bother polishing, not tried polishing before actually. The idea of using something even mildly abrasive worrys me as an amateur. 

Claying is is well worth it and not a big time investment once or twice  year.

I used Bilt Hamber on the wife's new BMW along with a hose spraying water (as you can with BH). It picked up a small amount of dirt on a one day old car. Easy to use but I can't say if simply polishing would have given the same result?

Don't want to use the clay on my Cayman as I'm aware it had a paint protection system from new and the clay may well strip this off.

After claying the X1 I cleansed, polished, and waxed with Autoglym tar remover, SRP, and GT wax. Next wash I used AG Aqua Wax which is really good stuff and I'm using that on the Cayman too, to top up whatever base system it has. Spoke to AG technical first to make sure it's OK over any paint protection product.

5 hours ago, DJMC said:

I used Bilt Hamber on the wife's new BMW along with a hose spraying water (as you can with BH). It picked up a small amount of dirt on a one day old car. Easy to use but I can't say if simply polishing would have given the same result?

Don't want to use the clay on my Cayman as I'm aware it had a paint protection system from new and the clay may well strip this off.

After claying the X1 I cleansed, polished, and waxed with Autoglym tar remover, SRP, and GT wax. Next wash I used AG Aqua Wax which is really good stuff and I'm using that on the Cayman too, to top up whatever base system it has. Spoke to AG technical first to make sure it's OK over any paint protection product.

yes, I think its for cars that have seen a few miles. If its very new and regularly cleaned/waxed etc I suspect it would not have much contamination to pick up. Worked for me, especially noticeable on my old car that was much more tired.

11 hours ago, Porker said:

yes, I think its for cars that have seen a few miles. If its very new and regularly cleaned/waxed etc I suspect it would not have much contamination to pick up. Worked for me, especially noticeable on my old car that was much more tired.

You'd be surprised. It depends on what has happened to the car before its arrived at the dealership, it may have been sat for a while at the factory, the docks, the unload site etc. I regularly find new cars with lots of fallout that either need claybar or more likely a liquid like iron-x to decontaminate before prep and protection stages

3 hours ago, Trickle said:

Always wise to polish whenever you've used a clay bar on your paint! 

3 hours ago, Trickle said:

Always wise to polish whenever you've used a clay bar on your paint! 

I may try that next time. is it a major faff? can you do it with a cloth and elbow grease? don't fancy buying an electric polisher. Presumably you do mean a polish and not a wax. I waxed, I think people use polish and wax interchangeably when they are two different things.

Still, looks nice and shiny now but will be covered in London traffic grime in two weeks anyway. I hate other people.

Clay bars are great at getting the crap off that washing leaves behind, but essentially, they're for preparing the paint for some other treatment, rather than a treatment in their own right.

Also, some are abrasive as they're used to prepare the surface for machine polishing, whereas some are not. Just make sure you buy the right one. For goodness sake though, if it says you should use a lube, do so! I forgot I had refilled my bottle of lube with water and I made a right mess of my paintwork on a previous car. Thankfully, a proper machine corrected it.

Guys like Trickle said should really polish after, Clay Bars will pull dirt out of the paint work that washing does not get, this dirt depending on how much can leave little makes in the lacquer.

If you get your car detailed properly they will use a Clay Bar before polishing! Or they should really! 

Once you have essential corrected the paint might wanna think about protecting it i.e. Wax or now Ceramic products! 

3 hours ago, briggy said:

Clay bars are great at getting the crap off that washing leaves behind, but essentially, they're for preparing the paint for some other treatment, rather than a treatment in their own right.

Also, some are abrasive as they're used to prepare the surface for machine polishing, whereas some are not. Just make sure you buy the right one. For goodness sake though, if it says you should use a lube, do so! I forgot I had refilled my bottle of lube with water and I made a right mess of my paintwork on a previous car. Thankfully, a proper machine corrected it.

Yes, mine specifically states that water is fine and is a 'mild' one that can be used pre wax. Selected it more by luck than judgement though! Thanks for the tip.

• Founder

Wouldn't bother with wax these days either, great for a few weeks but why bother when a ceramic product lasts many many times longer?! It's a no-brainer unless you enjoy polishing and waxing all day Sunday once a month.  Personally I have other things to be doing...like driving the car instead :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Wouldn't bother with wax these days either, great for a few weeks but why bother when a ceramic product lasts many many times longer?! It's a no-brainer unless you enjoy polishing and waxing all day Sunday once a month.  Personally I have other things to be doing...like driving the car instead :) 

That's where Autoglym Aqua Wax comes into its own. After washing just a couple of squirts on each panel spread with the supplied microfibre cloth then polish off with the 2nd microfibre cloth. Takes no more time than drying with a chamois. It's designed to top up their wax products such as GT Wax. 

4 hours ago, DJMC said:

That's where Autoglym Aqua Wax comes into its own. After washing just a couple of squirts on each panel spread with the supplied microfibre cloth then polish off with the 2nd microfibre cloth. Takes no more time than drying with a chamois. It's designed to top up their wax products such as GT Wax. 

:4fvgdaq_th:

7 hours ago, Trickle said:

:4fvgdaq_th:

Whassup?

Cayman: Unknown paint protection product, check with AG, apply Aqua Wax.

BMW: Clay, cleanse, polish, GT Wax, top up with Aqua Wax after washing.

Old fashioned = proven.

;)

• 3 weeks later...

my mate Conrad was Autogyms field expert for years, did all the Royals and Aston Martins flagship cars amongst many. I will try and get hold of him to get some insider advice. I'll post as and when. he's not easy to get hold of lately