rear camera and radar

Bushman

I,ve found time to wash the car so I'm not now embarrassed to photo my wirelessly linked rear camera and reversing radar. I found a wiring route underneath the spoiler mechanism and though into the boot behind the lock trim. ( I found a manual lock release cable in there as well but have no bloody Idea where it goes to after it disappears under the nearside tail light cluster). wired into the RH loom that feeds the offside reversing light. the transmitter is clipped in next to the lock and is all hidden behind the trim panel. In the cockpit, I made a custom billet aluminium mount for a 7 inch flat screen multi media panel. this was screwed to the headlining panel and the panel clipped in. Power comes from the fuse box, up the RH pillar and across the roof lining. it has12v to 5v dropper and terminates in a mini USB to feed the receiver and screen. apart from the GPS, the unit has a Bluetooth link to my phone and a FM transmitter that transmits to the car radio. this means I can listen to  my playlists. ( although you do lose a lot of volume). I now have an automatically switched reversing camera when in reverse, happy days. total cost about £60.

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

• Like 1

Is that the camera obscuring the top of the 6 on your rear plate? Very neat screen install.

I had my first experience of reversing camera in a rental car in the USA a few weeks back. Takes a while getting used to "virtual eyes" I thought. I really didn't like trusting it to be showing the real world view.

Edited by DJMC

Hi DJ. if I had photo'd  it properly from the same level, it is just above the number plate, so legal. the camera housing is only about 23 mm high. I drilled two small screwholes on the underside of the recess to mount the camera with a third larger hole just above the number plate and hidden by the camera housing. big enough to get connectors through then sealed it with a split rubber grommet.

IMG_1544.JPG

• Like 1

Ah, that looks better.

Now, tell us more about what you can do/get with your screen, and what's the "radar" bit all about? Is that a rear parking sensor facility, or does it sweep for hot hatches up your rear end and then blast them off the road if too close?

yes DJ it is a single point parking sensor with a sweep or coverage of 120 degrees, don't know if it 'scans' like a proper radar that is what the sales blurb calls it. sounds better than parking sensor I suppose. camera works well though, even at night. the screen has 2 GPS programes , Windows CE, mediaplayer, games, mini sd card slot, Bluetooth, FM transmitter and a 10 hr battery. basically  its a 7 inch tablet. £32 off ebay. ( from China of course)

I take it the dash has no suitable aperture for a screen? Can't remember what the 987.1 looks like but I guess there were a couple of different layouts?

How reversible is the screen mount for when you want to sell?

I didn't want it on the dash for lots of reasons. too obvious and therefore steal able. looks messy and cluttered and I hate exposed wiring. in bright sunlight, seeing the screen is hard work.  Up in the roof, you cant see it till you get in, never gets 'flaired' by sun light, easy to hide wiring and easy to view for both driver and pax. when I need to ininstall it I will either leave the black aluminium base installed that the next owner could use for a phone mount or Gopro, leave the whole thing in as a selling point or completely removed, if you looked hard you might see two tiny screwholes after I made good.

Love the idea, nicely done too.  Not sure if the need for a reverse camera in such a small car mind you, I find it one of the easiest cars to park I've ever had.  

sometimes I get boxed in a bit and like to see a bumpers eye view, I ve bought a Jaquamond style rear spoiler, waiting to fit it when it comes back from the paintshop and when I mock fitted it, it hampered the rear vision a bit and as the GPS had the capability, for an extra £16, it seemed rude not to add the camera. much easier at night to park in a tight space.