On the hunt for a Cayman

s_robinson91

Hi, I'm Sam from Northamptonshire. I've just sold my Audi TTS and I think a Cayman is the next car for me. Although I'm not 100% sure. So I'm wondering if you all could share some of your advice and knowledge. Now I'm only 25 so think I'm looking at a 2008 2.7 with tiptonic mainly for insurance but also because I've heard they are more reliable (don't really fancy a £7000+ engine rebuild :/ ) The one I have looked at today had 43,000 on the clock. What things should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance...

Hi Sam

Go with your gut feel when choosing what YOU  want. 

Dont be put off about engines. Read this before you make your choice. 

http://philipraby.co.uk/porsche-boxster-996-and-997-engines-the-truth/

My Prefernce will always be a manual gearbox. But that's me. 

Im not so sure PDK / Tiptronic offer the fun you think they will compared to manual. 

• Founder

Caymanwhite is right, always make your own choice.  No harm in asking for others experience though, plenty of it on here.  The 2.7 is a more reliable engine that is true, but not necessarily the 'best' choice and the failure rate in any event is so low it wouldn't put me off any of the engine choices on a Cayman.  Depends what you're seeking? 

Tiptronic is a very different proposition to PDK though, the latter being very very good the former being an automatic gearbox.... Was your TT DSG or manual? 

Edited by Beanoir

Thanks for replies guys. Tiptronic was only cuz the one I saw today was tiptronic. Think I would prefer manual, my TTS was s-tronic box and that was bloody awesome. Does this site have a for sale section atall? Would much prefer a forum members car.

45 minutes ago, s_robinson91 said:

Thanks for replies guys. Tiptronic was only cuz the one I saw today was tiptronic. Think I would prefer manual, my TTS was s-tronic box and that was bloody awesome. Does this site have a for sale section atall? Would much prefer a forum members car.

My TTS (prior to my Cayman) was s-tronic and bloody awful!... in comparison to a PDK box.

Hey, if you're near, why don't you come along to the Super Sausage on Sunday and pick our brains? See: 

• Founder
37 minutes ago, s_robinson91 said:

Most near me seem to be tiptronic. Is it that bad of a gear box? 

You should try a manual, and the tip and see how you feel about it.  

If you're coming from an S-Tronic (which is an electronically controlled dual clutch manual gearbox) then you may find the Tiptronic a bit dated in its operation.  The Tip is a conventional torque converter automatic with a manual gearchange facility.  Porsche didn't introduce the dual clutch box similar to the S-Tronic until the gen2 Cayman, called it PDK.  

• Like 1

Having driven all types,  PDK is awesome, quick, smooth, everything you'd expect from a modern Porsche.

Tip is dated and you'll feel that right away ( All as Beanoir says above) 

it is personal choice, I'm manual all the way. But thats because I'm a weekend driver, I like hooning on empty? roads early in the morning before every other selfish so a so wants to join me!!

However if I was a daily driver in traffic and commutes then I'd probably go for PDK. 

So, perhaps your considerations could be based on your proposed use for the car?

All said and done you will NOT be dissapointed withers heart Cayman yiu choose. 

Good luck with it. 

• Like 1

I'm afraid I couldn't help you much. I have only had my Cayman S for 6 months and don't know, first hand, about the maintenance . I have never heard that the Cayman base was more reliable than the S. I would be more concerned about the treatment that it has had in the past. Records and Carfax. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Not too much to worry about with Cayman engines IMHO, the IMS bearing is still there in the gen 1 but a more robust version than in 986 Boxsters or 996s for example. Some people say the 2.7 is a safer bet than the S engine, because there's less stress on the bearing. Others say that if an IMS is going to fail it usually happens in the first 40 000 miles. But I really don't think we have to worry with the IMS bearings fitted in Cayman engines based on what I've read, the chances of failure aren't zero, but they seem to be tiny. I used to read about it a lot when I had a 996 with 100 000 miles on the clock! But it had never needed an IMS in its life, like the vast majority of those engines.

If you have a gen2 please ignore the above, you don't have an IMS to worry about. Boring really:D

I'm in a similar situation as you, I bought my Cayman back in July just as I turned 22. My Dad currently has a 2008 TTS and I've driven that quite a bit as well. I ended up going for a 2.9 Gen 2 base Cayman, after battling with myself on whether to stretch to the Gen 2 S model for a few months. I'm not disappointed with the decision at all, but what I would say is that the TTS feels quicker in a lot of daily driving scenarios, mid-range acceleration is a lot better in the TTS than the base Cayman, the Cayman can feel sluggish between 3-5k, something rectified by having the S version. The Cayman like most Porsche really does come alive high in the rev range, which means it's great fun on a dedicated drive out on a nice road, definitely a huge improvement on the TTS in terms of feel and handling. Another good thing about the Cayman is the ownership experience, even though mines 7 years old now and not worth as much as most of the new cars on the road, people still think you're a baller for having a Porsche, and it does make you feel special :P 

On the decision between Gen 1 and Gen 2, there's probably about an 8k price difference between like for like base models, and even more for S models. I was put off the Gen 1 by engine horror stories, but I think a lot of that is unjustified, I think you just need to be more careful about getting the necessary checks done before purchasing. An 8k price increase for 20bhp, slightly different radio and some new lights is a lot of money!

In terms of insurance, it obviously depends on your situation, location, etc. but I found it to be ridiculously cheap, and I'm 3 years younger than you. My insurance is 700 quid and there was no difference in premium between the base and an s model. Might not seem cheap to others, but bear in mind that my little 1.4 Abarth was 650 a year.

Like everyone else has said, you really just need to drive each model and make your own mind up. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have you managed to drive a 981 with PDK?

I do agree that the 2.7 has to be driven a bit harder to enjoy, but enjoy it I do.

The Cayman S would certainly give you more low down torque. It depends on your driving style though

• Founder
9 minutes ago, s_robinson91 said:

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm delighted to say I am now the proud owner of a 2007 2.7 Manual Cayman. I know it's not on the same level as most of your cars but I'm completely in love with it. Totally different to my TTS but in a good way. Defo more of a drivers car and you really have to work it to get some power out but it rewards you for doing so. And as said it just makes you feel special. :)

IMG_1408.JPG

Congrats matey!! :) 

A Cayman is a Cayman, they're all great cars so don't feel it's any lesser than another.  

• Like 1

There are few "old model" cars which hold their looks and status. E-Type; DB7; AC Aceca (only just heard of it 'cos there was one on car SOS!); some would say the older 911's (not me!), but the 987 will be one of the long-time classics in my opinion. I'm hoping the 981 will also, and I see no reason why not.

I looked at the 987 two years ago and still love the look of them. So you can be justly proud.