Freezing side windows

Has anyone found a good way to stop the side window glass from freezing to the window rubbers? When opening the doors this week there is a clunking noise caused by the winder mechanism trying to drop the windows a few mm, but unable to do so because they're stuck to the rubbers along the base of the windows. When this happened last winter it eventually broke the mechanism on the driver's door and it had to be replaced. I want to try to avoid that this year.

i can pour warm water on it when outside the house in the morning or squirt with de-icer if I've remembered to leave the de-icer in the house, but when coming home from work at night I've no warm water or de-icer with me to unstick the window. Is there a magic non greasy substance I could put along the rubber seal which would last for a week or two?

I have not used the product that Beanoir recommends, but a rubber conditioner / protectant of some kind would do the job. I have used 303 Aerospace Protectant and Gyeon Q2 Tire - 400ml - Tyre Dressing and Rubber Sealant both seem to work with good results.

wish I'd done something, my drivers window cable has snapped due I think to being frozen ( and I had done the rubbers, seals and guides with pledge too) n the week. spent 4 hours outside, freezing my bits off with a torch and a laptop, learning how to take the door cards etc off, then the inner steel cover to get to the regulator and unravel the broken cable so I could pull the window up. I bought a replacement cable but don't fancy trying to install it, I would have a go if I had time and a well lit, warm workshop to do it in. Anyway, I'm told its an arsehole of a job to set up correctly. looking for some help here guys please.

• 4 years later...

Sorry for reviving an old thread, particularly with my first post here (hi!) - but the frozen window issue is something that I've also just discovered. Bought my 987.2S earlier this year, and with the lack of commuting recently, I haven't really used it on frosty mornings, but any decent frost freezes my windows.

My dumb question is this - do I need to remove the window seals in order to treat them with the Gummi stuff, or will it work well enough if I just treat them in situ?

On 17/12/2021 at 11:55, el_gringo said:

Sorry for reviving an old thread, particularly with my first post here (hi!) - but the frozen window issue is something that I've also just discovered. Bought my 987.2S earlier this year, and with the lack of commuting recently, I haven't really used it on frosty mornings, but any decent frost freezes my windows.

My dumb question is this - do I need to remove the window seals in order to treat them with the Gummi stuff, or will it work well enough if I just treat them in situ?

I've always applied it in situ, and never had a problem with the window sticking.  Its a bit like a pritt-stick, you apply a thin layer around all the exposed rubber seals.