Urban myths exposed - Your experience?

Hi all,

After some reading through various posts across the forums online I have stumbled across a couple of "modifications" that intrigue me...

1. LH air intake DESNORKEL - You remove the baffle/diverter plate within the LH intake and insert a homemade mesh grille to protect the filter, etc from debris HOWEVER there is proof that no performance is gained, just a different or louder intake noise. Apparently the reason the for the plate is to protect the MAF sensor so I'm a little hesitant on carrying out this modification due to our climate.

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/cayman-performance-modifications/p29-porsche-desnork-part-2-cayman-example.html

2. Clutch Delay Valve - In the drivers footwell, at the rear face of the clutch pedal hinge you will find the "clutch delay valve" which isn't really a valve - it's a microswitch... People are taping or ty-wrapping the switch plunger closed to get smoother shifting between gears and eliminating throttle delay. I believe other manufactures employ similar systems to prolong the life of the clutch components and to prevent stalling.

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/105290-clutch-delay-switch-graphed.html

Do you have experience of either?

Please share your thoughts and/or any other modifications that may be out there!

Greg.

Wouldn't bother with the de-snork as it doesn't make any difference to performance or the way the car drives.  

Clutch switch mod does make a massive difference! I've jumped mine with a switch.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PhilCS said:

Wouldn't bother with the de-snork as it doesn't make any difference to performance or the way the car drives.  

Clutch switch mod does make a massive difference! I've jumped mine with a switch.  

Interesting, I'm guessing for the better? 

When end do you activate/deactivate your switch? 

I would say that if you are looking to upgrade to whole intake system, then the desnork id worthwhile. With everything else standard, not really worth it - apart from noise. 

With a race intake, gt3 throttle and race plenum, the extra air will get in and give gains in power/performance....

just my 2p ?

Kai 

I did the desnork with mesh and a EVO vflow intake, I like it, one needs more air in, hence why the 981 has 2 air intakes not just the 1, every little helps ;-)

while a few mods gets the 987.2 to about 360 bhp the 981 with twin air intakes gets to 385 BHp, it's the same engine  !  more air in wins

I just did the clutch switch mod, after a quick drive I prefer it but it's already showing this on the dash and the red warning light now stays on, anyway round it ?

20170311_115517.jpg.3b34e628e40fd88b29531b839e2044bb.jpg

Hi,

Can you fully clear the "drive off assistance failure" message and the exclamation mark or do they return each time you fire the engine up?

an OBD2 reader will clear all top level faults as well as read them. I am told that unlike BMW or Merc ecus, Porsche don't accumulate faults  then switch to limp home mode when they reach a factory set number. these simple PBD2 readers are on fleabay from £20. hope this helps.

• Like 1