First Post! - My Gen 2 Cayman S (with pics)

Thanks all. It's been relatively trouble free; I had an issue with a leaking power steering pump at around 75k, so that got replaced by Porsche (has done nearly 95k now). Aside from that, just the standard servicing schedule and plenty of tyres! It was all main dealer history when I bought it and I've kept all work done at the Porsche dealer, so not sure how much of a difference that has made.

It's been a really reliable daily driver and perhaps the fact that I have used it daily and added a fair few miles, has helped with the reliability!

Oh and the spec:

Sports Chrono

Bose

Xenons with the direction thingy!

Extended leather (one of my personal favourite options)

19" Turbo alloys

PCM 

Bluetooth

And a couple of boring ones: 

Parking sensors

Hill start assist

Hi Adam, and nice to see someone else doing "average" miles and enjoying their Cayman rather than sticking it away in the garage for sunny weekends.

It will be interesting to see how yours fares as it tips over 100k miles. Apart from things wearing out and needing replacement (suspension, brakes, hoses, etc) I see no reason why yours and mine shouldn't live on forever? Although some of the parts are expensive, it may be more expensive ditching a £20k 100,000 miler and buying a £50-60k new car, especially if it's a retrograde step engine-wise? Depends if you see your car as a "classic" or just another car I guess?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DJMC said:

Hi Adam, and nice to see someone else doing "average" miles and enjoying their Cayman rather than sticking it away in the garage for sunny weekends.

It will be interesting to see how yours fares as it tips over 100k miles. Apart from things wearing out and needing replacement (suspension, brakes, hoses, etc) I see no reason why yours and mine shouldn't live on forever? Although some of the parts are expensive, it may be more expensive ditching a £20k 100,000 miler and buying a £50-60k new car, especially if it's a retrograde step engine-wise? Depends if you see your car as a "classic" or just another car I guess?

Yeh, I certainly hope so. I think using the car on rare occasions would bring more issues with things going wrong. I get through the usual consumables faster than doing lower mileage, but it's worth every penny! I've no plans to sell currently, but I do have a significant soft spot for the 981 Cayman and the lovely picture of yours in the footer of your post isn't helping matters!

The 987 really is one of those timeless models where, when I see one, I think "Nice Cayman" rather than "Ah, that's looking old now". It's the same with a lot of Porsche models: 911 (going back to the 964 perhaps, and even the 996 now!); 928, 944. And of course other marques too.

So, no need to upgrade to the 981 really? I almost bought a 987 Gen2 in 2014 but for the slightly cramped cabin, but at that point I could quite easily find reasons to prefer it to the 981 - curvier rear wings, not so "Panamera-ish" rear hatch line. They're both good looking and will be classics for sure.

Some other "Classics" I've owned (and kind of wish I still had!): 1964 Mini; 1971 Ford Capri 1600GT; 1988 BMW 325i cabriolet; 1997 Aston DB7 (DON'T wish I still had this one!); 2003 BMW E46 330ci cab. But (obviously) I've not liked them well enough to keep them. Actually... Mini - wrote off on day 3; Capri - wrote off in Spain; 325i - 3rd car, SOLD; DB7 - leaked pints of water over my ankles (fixed twice, 3rd time... BYE!!!); E46 started costing money, but not economic to keep it going. Debatable if the E46 will become a "Classic"?

Rambling on now so I'll stop...

Dave, great reading  your car history, we all have skeletons in the cupboard somewhere, so you are not alone. Yes I would still have my Cayman 2.9  Gen 2 had I not gone abroad with work and decided to sell at time. That said I like my 981, the rear end and overall balance, interior is more to my liking, then again I'm a sucker for the latest tech and looks. I asked my new Alexa dot gen 2 what is a Porsche Cayman and she responded with a great description and history of the car.. Just goes to show even tech gizmos have class.

Now for for the confession, but not as glorious as your car history.... Here goes"...... First car Red DAF44 variomatic, 55 mpg, all

Aluminium  no rust, but crawling  about underneath every weekend to tighten the belts, not exactly fun, Volvo 66 was the evolution of the DAFF. Then onto better things, Fiat Strada Abarth 2.0 twin cam, Lancia Delta 1600 GT, along came marriage and an Astra GTE, children followed more sensible choices, Vauxhall Cavalier, Mondeo, Rover 400, then back to Something more exciting Saab 9-3 Aero, BMW 5 MSport, then my first Porsche Cayman.....etc.... Back where I started enjoyment reborn..... Now I'm rambling on just like you... Happy motoring.  Andrew

pS: Adam, got carried away responding to Dave's message I forgot to say welcome nice looking car, great wheels. I only  have 3900 miles on the clock, therefore  I've got a big of catching up to match your mileage, but good to hear it's been virtually trouble free, sometime you get mixed messages when reading reviews about Porsche ownership with some models. Best Wishes Andrew

21 hours ago, DJMC said:

The 987 really is one of those timeless models where, when I see one, I think "Nice Cayman" rather than "Ah, that's looking old now". It's the same with a lot of Porsche models: 911 (going back to the 964 perhaps, and even the 996 now!); 928, 944. And of course other marques too.

So, no need to upgrade to the 981 really? I almost bought a 987 Gen2 in 2014 but for the slightly cramped cabin, but at that point I could quite easily find reasons to prefer it to the 981 - curvier rear wings, not so "Panamera-ish" rear hatch line. They're both good looking and will be classics for sure.

Some other "Classics" I've owned (and kind of wish I still had!): 1964 Mini; 1971 Ford Capri 1600GT; 1988 BMW 325i cabriolet; 1997 Aston DB7 (DON'T wish I still had this one!); 2003 BMW E46 330ci cab. But (obviously) I've not liked them well enough to keep them. Actually... Mini - wrote off on day 3; Capri - wrote off in Spain; 325i - 3rd car, SOLD; DB7 - leaked pints of water over my ankles (fixed twice, 3rd time... BYE!!!); E46 started costing money, but not economic to keep it going. Debatable if the E46 will become a "Classic"?

Rambling on now so I'll stop...

Wow, that's quite a history!! Mine isn't quite as long (or exciting as yours), with a BMW Z4, Renault Clio and *cough* Nissan Micra *cough* preceding the Cayman!

19 hours ago, AndrewL said:

pS: Adam, got carried away responding to Dave's message I forgot to say welcome nice looking car, great wheels. I only  have 3900 miles on the clock, therefore  I've got a big of catching up to match your mileage, but good to hear it's been virtually trouble free, sometime you get mixed messages when reading reviews about Porsche ownership with some models. Best Wishes Andrew

Thanks Andrew! Yes, if you're waiting for some nice summer days to drive it on, I fear it will be 2020 before you break the 4000 mile mark!