Wanted a Gen 1-Looking at a car Saturday

Hi, 

I've sold my Golf R recently, before that a new RS3, and prior a 997 C4S, I'm hoping to get back in to a Cayman Gen 1, eyes wide open though. I've an extension to start, and its going to be a second car, so I've a budget and a small slush fund, I'm also thinking about an after market warranty to cover possible future engine failure.

The car I am looking at is 2007 36k miles, FSH, recent major service. Car has an after market exhaust, SatNav, Sport Design Alloys, Bose, cruise, and recent brakes at 16.500 firm, which is pretty good value, if the engine is good, and the clutch holds out a bit longer. I'd run as an occasional use car, and hopefully back at home after I miss my Gen 1 997 so much. I now can't face paying more than what I sold it for. So, firstly, no PASM, and its high-ish money for a non dealer car? But the service history is very good, and the guy is mid 60's, and has covered very little miles, and seems and looks very well looked after. Any comments? The car is on PH. I know the consensus is generally to go for a Gen 2 car, it starts creeping towards C2S money, then I can warrant more money, as there are three of us, and could then justify more money, if that makes sense as I could use it as a family waggon too :) 

So budget is 17k tops, and was initially 16k, but will pay more for the right car. Can't wait to get back in a car that feels alive again, and connected. I'll be fitting a short shift without doubt. 

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-s-3-4-57/7094758

Edited by keendean

Looks like a nice car and competitively priced too. Check small print for after market warranty though as I'm not convinced you would find one which will really cover for any potential bore scoring issues so might well be a waste of money, but others on here may know more.

Bad news is, I think it's sold, although a deposit has not been left, I can view, but it seems fruitless. Typical, colour and nearly a spec and price I'd be happy with. Finding one looked after at these kind of ages is a rare find too. I'll let you know how I get on, if not my search continues. 

I bought it - I just had to up my price. Yes, no extended leather, but I accept that my 997 cost me more than twice the price of the Cayman.  It's been tricky buying a decent car balaning spec and condition, and for me colour was the all important factor. 

If I like it it, I'll buy a Gen 2 next year. 

21 hours ago, Tom said:

Nice work, congrats and welcome :) 

Thanks Tom.  Its a whole new ball game, I can't believe how different its to drive after my 911 C4S. Its odd, some people love the looks or hate it :)

Congrats and welcome.

Had my 07 plate for 2 months now and love it has more miles than the one you have got.

We need a few more members over on the eastern side of the country.

Enjoy.

On 27/04/2017 at 11:17, SteveS said:

Congrats and welcome.

Had my 07 plate for 2 months now and love it has more miles than the one you have got.

We need a few more members over on the eastern side of the country.

Enjoy.

Thanks Steve, I'm based near Linton, so I'm enjoying the back roads, and slowly getting used to the Cayman handling traits :)