On the lookout for a Cayman...!

UKtom

Hey there!

Thought i'd introduce myself as I'm currently on the lookout for a cayman. Realistically it is not going to be until October-December, so the end of the year, but being a keen enthusiast I thought i'd join the forum early and do my research to make sure I know what to look out for and I am buying the right one for me.

I currently own a fairly modified VW Scirocco, some of you may have seen at shows, here it is:

85799A30-5B3E-49F4-9899-F59DA0834412_zps

DED78538-D7DC-479A-83C9-9BEBFDD76BEA_zps

07ABEC0E-AEC3-4EFB-9B1C-C3ED5380E418_zps

The intention is to replace the scirocco with a cayman at the end of the next year - and build another "showcar" over winter for 2018.

My question for everyone is - what optional extras do you love and/or what optional extras do you wish you went for?!

Tom

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beanoir said:

Welcome Tom :) 

ipod adaptor is the most used option, most hated is rear wiper!!!

Thankyou! At the risk of sounding stupid, are the adapters easy to retrofit? Also, are they generally for iPhone 5 or the iPhone 6 ports?

I only ask as the Scirocco has an iPhone 4 connector, but even with the connector adapters it still doesn't work on my iPhone 6 :( 

• Founder

They're not easy to retrofit no, but I have a 4 connection which has a Bluetooth adaptor so I can stream from my iPhone.  The factory fitted unit also has a USB which I use most with a permantly connected 200gb portable hard drive and all my music :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodhouse said:

Hi Tom,

Here's an earlier thread where I posted about options.

Thank you! That's super useful. I have narrowed down my requirements list to the following:

- 2.7 Cayman Gen 1 (a low mileage Gen 2/3.4 is too pricey for me on insurance and running costs :()

- Xenon headlights are a must

- PDK is a must

- Cruise Control is a must

I'd like:

- Sat Nav

- Bose Speakers

Let the search begin...

Tom

1 hour ago, UKtom said:

Thank you! That's super useful. I have narrowed down my requirements list to the following:

- 2.7 Cayman Gen 1 (a low mileage Gen 2/3.4 is too pricey for me on insurance and running costs :()

- Xenon headlights are a must

- PDK is a must

- Cruise Control is a must

I'd like:

- Sat Nav

- Bose Speakers

Let the search begin...

Tom

The SatNav is terrible, ive got PCM3 on a Gen2. I never use it, the iphone stuck on the screen is a pain but it works. I guess you can look to get an apple/android car head unit fitted? 

1 hour ago, Porker said:

The SatNav is terrible, ive got PCM3 on a Gen2. I never use it, the iphone stuck on the screen is a pain but it works. I guess you can look to get an apple/android car head unit fitted? 

Valid point - I agree, it's more so for aesthetics inside the car. IMO it looks sooo much nicer, but you're right - an aftermarket double din would suffice.

I previously had a 350z and paid through the roof for one with nav - never used it!

I was re-reading the other day an article in Evo about VW loading container boats with Sciroccos and dumping them out at sea in order to keep the factory going, keep jobs, etc.

Strange, but true?

On 6/3/2017 at 22:45, DJMC said:

I was re-reading the other day an article in Evo about VW loading container boats with Sciroccos and dumping them out at sea in order to keep the factory going, keep jobs, etc.

Strange, but true?

Really? I haven't heard anything! They are supposedly discontinuing the production of the Scirocco soon though...

2 hours ago, UKtom said:

Really? I haven't heard anything! They are supposedly discontinuing the production of the Scirocco soon though...

It was in the March 2017 issue.