Drivers side wiper not working

Foolishly flicked on the wipers this morning with a frozen screen. 

Passenger side wiped, driver side frozen solid. 

Now the drivers side moves a little and completely out of sink with the passenger side wiper. 

Im assuming I’ve stripped the tread off the shaft the arm sits on or something?

Anyone experiences the same?

is there a ‘quick fix’ - ie replace arm, or am I looking at replacing some internal linkages?

cheers, Jason

I’d probably start by taking the wiper arms off and having a butchers at the threads.  Hopefully it’s just the thread on the arm itself.  Difficult to diagnose without seeing really.  

You may have nakered the motor, which are not too bad to change tbh.  

This might help give you a mental picture...

BF4DEF00-1E2C-4282-A0D4-2EBAFB41EB0F.gif.0f67ed203a06a96e74db2fd3f62892ed.gif

It’s just the arm (thankfully).

All the splines have been stripped off the inner (aluminium?) insert in the arm attachment point. 

Have swapped the passenger side to the drivers side as a temporary fix so I can at least clear rain / spray water whilst driving. 

Now need to order a new arm from design911 for a ‘mere’ £74. 

At at least I’ve not FUBAR’d the motor or it’s drive shaft. ?

• Like 1

So my new right hand (drivers) side arm has arrived from design911 for my right hand drive car and...

its longer than the existing one by a couple of inches (and we all know that can make a difference!). 

Ive checked the code on the bag, seems correct. Will fit tomorrow in day light, can’t see it it being a problem as I already have the longer passenger side arm swapped over to drivers side as a temporary fix, but am curious why the new one is different?

could someone measure their drivers side arm length from the hinge to the ‘kink’ Near the end and let me know the length in mm please. 

Either, the design has changed slightly?

or I’ve received the wrong part in the (genuine) Porsche part bag?

or the existing (broken) one is a wrongly fitted (replacement) item?

cheers, Jason

• Founder

How odd...  

I’m sure somebody can measure up for you and work out the score.  A couple of inches will make a difference though, surely the wiper blade would foul on the screen edge if it’s that much out...?

It’s the wrong arm. 

Going through the design911 site presented me with an arm that supposedly fits 986, 987, 996 and 997, which is what I bought. 

So ive received a 997.628.28.00 arm, which is (clearly) for a 997. 

The original arm, and replacement that I need is a 987.628.28.00 arm, which 35mm shorter. 

(Another) new one now on its way - but lesson for the future, physically check part numbers before ordering as website selector may not provide you with the exact correct part. 

ive just measured my arms and they are: from centre of drive spigot ( not hinge) to the apex of the crank in the arm; drivers side= 330mm, passenger side = 390mm. hope this helps.

On 23/12/2017 at 14:59, Bushman said:

ive just measured my arms and they are: from centre of drive spigot ( not hinge) to the apex of the crank in the arm; drivers side= 330mm, passenger side = 390mm. hope this helps.

Thanks Bushman - bit late in responding, Xmas got in the way ??. 

It’s definitely the wrong one - it’s a 997 arm. 

Ive fixed the problem now with no need for replacing ??, and will send the 997 arm back for a refund. 

To be fair to the design911 guys I’ve spoken with, they’ve been very obliging and apologetic about the error on their website. 

The fix was simply to clean out the splines on the arm drive shaft (with a craft knife blade), and then simply refit the arm and retighten. Seeeeemples ?

Edited by Windymiller

don't be surprised if it starts slipping again sometime in the future Windy. all the material you scraped out of the splines on the drive spigot was the aluminium mating splines from the arm socket, as there is no pinch bolt to clamp up onto the remaining material, I would worry that the fairly violent direction changes ( especially on second speed setting ) will eventually broach the wiper arm socket out to an oversized tube and just slip regardless of the fixing nut on the top. My advice for what its worth, would be to ask for the correct arm instead of a refund.

On 30/12/2017 at 12:04, Bushman said:

don't be surprised if it starts slipping again sometime in the future Windy. all the material you scraped out of the splines on the drive spigot was the aluminium mating splines from the arm socket, as there is no pinch bolt to clamp up onto the remaining material, I would worry that the fairly violent direction changes ( especially on second speed setting ) will eventually broach the wiper arm socket out to an oversized tube and just slip regardless of the fixing nut on the top. My advice for what its worth, would be to ask for the correct arm instead of a refund.

Good points Bushman. 

However, the (incorrect 997) arm that was supplied did not have any corresponding splines in the ‘female’ end that fits onto the wiper arm drive shaft. 

It simply seems to be a ‘force fit’ of the softer alloy insert in the arm onto the splined drive shaft (thus ‘cutting’ corresponding grooves into the arm hole insert), and then nutted down to the correct torque of ‘2 white knuckles’.

i measured the internal diameter of the hole on the new arm versus the hole on my ‘stripped’ arm with some vernier callipers and there was barely 0.5mm difference (larger in my old arm). 

Hopefully it it will be ok, for some time at least ???

• Like 1