Ceramic/glass type car polishes....any recommendations/opinions?

Hi all, have seen a few adverts recently for ceramic/glass/quartz type systems you can apply at home (with suitable preparation of the vehicle beforehand). Any experiences/opinions on these (versus normal waxing)?
Cheers
Craig

• Founder

They don’t last as long as the top of the range that can be applied by approved agents.  

I was going to go that route and decided on recommendation by a detailer I use to try this first, it’s brilliant! 

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/fusso-coat-dark-200g/prod_1730.html

I am a professional detailer.  Do not attempt to apply a ceramic coating at home.

They really are professional use products that need a stable environment and thorough application process.

Poor application can either stop the product from working but more seriously (and the thing we see most often) can react with the paintwork and require extensive wet sanding to repair.

My Facebook is www.facebook.com/pmgautocareni and you will see video of what can go wrong.

I don't know where you are based but look up your nearest Gtechniq Accredited detailer.  

It is the market leader, the longest established, the most developed and is tested in all climates.

A ceramic coating is a fantastic investment, even for how much time it will save you on maintenance alone.  The finish is far superior to any wax etc you will not regret it at all.

If you, or any of the members, ever have any detailing related questions I have over 15years experience in the industry and carry out product testing and development plus training for companies across the world

• Founder

I love the idea of a Gtechniq product but I was quoted over £1,000 by two different detailers. 

What options would you recommend (other what I use currently) for those of us that 1) enjoy cleaning our cars and 2) don’t want to spend quite that much Pete? 

...and for those of us with WHITE cars, please invent a wax which has a fly repellant in it!

You'd make a fortune! Only on white cars, the flies leave hundreds of tiny deposits which stick like glue!

36068350993_5bc173b495_b.jpg

36480500270_a6ae5608b6_b.jpg

A significant amount of that price will have been paint correction also I would imagine. I could do you a weekend break in NI and do the car for that as labour is much lower here :4_joy::4_joy:

There is no cheap way to do a ceramic but I would highly recommend Gtechniq C2V3 Liquid Crystal as a stand alone spray sealant. 

You get a lovely gloss, it's super easy to apply and remove plus excellent water behaviour too :)

Switch to a sealant @DJMC it won't stop it happening but it will make it much easier to remove. 

I had the Williams ceramic coating applied as my pre delivery prep. I don’t think the paintwork was particularly well detailed / corrected first, but the coating definitely makes cleaning (including fly goop removal - I have a white car) easier and seems to be shiny even when it’s dirty!

Supposedly has a lifetime warranty, as long as inspected every 5 years. Though not clear what ‘lifetime’ means. 

Cant comment on its longevity in comparison to Gtechniq. 

If / when I get the paintwork corrected and stone chips repaired I’ll consider a protective (clear) wrap. 

Edited by Windymiller

As Stated above, I wouldn't recommend trying ceramic coat unless you know what you are doing. There is a specific way it needs to be done and in a certain environment etc. Also there is not much point unless the paint has been corrected in the first instance or you will lock the swirls or scratches underneath the coat. 

Badly Installed Consumer ceramic coat can be removed by machine polishing but it would take time and would be expensive. Badly installed Professional Ceramic coat will require wetsanding to remove.

For DIY a good Sealant and wax will still do wonders, Will also have a filling affect to a point if you do not correct your paint first to hide or mask swirls but most of all it will ensure your paint is Protected.