Brands Hatch Indy - April 30th

Windymiller

Anyone at Brands on the 30th with MSV?

im there as part of a charity fund raiser for Muscular Dystrophy - there’s 5 of us, we’re running passenger laps for charity donations. 

I believe there’s another cayman as well as an M3, TTRS, mx5.

Jason

• Founder
5 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Anyone at Brands on the 30th with MSV?

im there as part of a charity fund raiser for Muscular Dystrophy - there’s 5 of us, we’re running passenger laps for charity donations. 

I believe there’s another cayman as well as an M3, TTRS, mx5.

Jason

I did Brands last weekend...round @Red Square Images place and it made me feel a bit sick...

7 hours ago, Beanoir said:

I did Brands last weekend...round @Red Square Images place and it made me feel a bit sick...

‘Place’, or ‘pace’?

is red square’s cooking not up to scratch...? ????

8 hours ago, Red Square Images said:

He didnt enjoy my rig. He had a little motion sickness,

Ah, have you got a VR race simulator I take it? Some sort of motion platform for it?

how accurate to the real tracks is it?

Brands in Assetto Corsa is perfectly modelled, laser scanned. Also in iRacing.

I am at castle combe on 1st may otherwise I might have been tempted to do Brands. But i'm kind of bored of the Indy having done so many laps of it over the years. I only tend to do the full GP layout now, which is awesome.

Edited by MJ

On 13/04/2018 at 14:14, MJ said:

Brands in Assetto Corsa is perfectly modelled, laser scanned. Also in iRacing.

I am at castle combe on 1st may otherwise I might have been tempted to do Brands. But i'm kind of bored of the Indy having done so many laps of it over the years. I only tend to do the full GP layout now, which is awesome.

I’ve never driven it before, but the Indy circuit does look a bit short and ‘samey’ ?

the GP circuit looks awesome, I don’t know if MSV ever have full GP days there. I know the PCGB do sometime this year. 

Im sure I’ll enjoy it anyway, and it is for chaaaaaarriiiittyyyyyyy after all ??

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at Brands tomorrow for the evening sessions.

There are a "few" full GP days through the year but the price is ridiculous imo...

• Like 1

Well Brands on the wettest day of the year (in a seemingly very narrow band of England) was ‘interesting’ . ?

Actually really glad I got to drive the car in a ‘spirited’ manner in the wet in a relatively safe environment (at least no ones coming in the opposite direction - or so I thought until I approached Graham Hill corner to find an Evo facing me.... ?).

Really interesting to find (and exceed) the limits of grip when/where overbraking / braking too late, and turning in with a light back end,  or trying to get power back down too soon. 

But it I found the car to be so incredibly correctable, it just seems so intuitive what to do when things starting going a bit squirmy. 

Also got some passenger laps in a TTRS (phenomenal 4WD grip in the wet, able to outpace the cayman through the bendies in the rain).  And in a 981 Cayman 2.7 PDK. I was so impressed with the pace of the thing, the PDK just always seem to put the car into the exact right band in the revs. 

There was nothing between us in the twisties (987S manual ‘vs’ 981 PDK), and I only had the edge down the long straight where the extra 0.7 ltr helped ?

The 981 felt so much more sure footed too (we were both on Goodyears).  But I do still like the ‘anologue’ feel of mine. However, another 1-2 years, and I think I could be looking at a 981 (fingers crossed a GTS if I can save some pennies?), but I think it would be a hard decision between manual and PDK then.... (opens endless mass-debating.... ???). 

I was getting ‘spanked’ regularly by 12 year old civic type Rs and Clio sports fully roll-caged etc. 

Nice Mclaren out in the rain on track (no idea which one - they all look the same to me, was a cross between the bat mobile and darth Vader’s helmet). 

And the 2 ‘quickest’ cars were a brand new civic type R (its an animal of a machine! ?) and a CLA45 AMG.  A 4 door saloon should just not be that agile.... ???

all in all a good fun day.  ??

Edited by Windymiller