interior trim removal

any one pulled the trim off the A pillar on an 09 cay .....it looks like it just pulls off..... my head liner is sagging and i need to get access to it s i might try to re-glue 

• Founder
4 hours ago, extanker said:

just got an estimate from the dealer........4 to 6 grand....i do not know what that is in dr. who money but it is alot here 

Thats not just to remove the a-pillar trim I assume? The whole headliner remove and refit? 

Its a pig of a job to do, but still that’s a lot of cash for that job! Try somewhere else 

The A-pillar trim just pops off, metal clips behind it 

See you’re in NJ. Always seems to be Caymans in North America afflicted by this. Heard various theories that it’s humidity and heat. If yours has always been a NJ car then fairly similar climate to the UK. 

Have you tried YouTube? I do recall a couple of vids on there regarding trying to fix the failed headliner. Maybe there’s some that show A pillar trim removal.

EDIT- found this, not sure if any use?

Edited by Buggyjam

many thanks.......i just ripped and cut it out for now ...............ironic people would talk about how bad corvettes interiors quality is .I bought my po new and it has had its share of interior defects seat leather,trunk thunk,ash tray lid paint,dash rattle,inside door latch,hatch hinge ........my first po and last.....back to those cheap chevys 

On 03/07/2018 at 13:45, extanker said:

many thanks.......i just ripped and cut it out for now ...............ironic people would talk about how bad corvettes interiors quality is .I bought my po new and it has had its share of interior defects seat leather,trunk thunk,ash tray lid paint,dash rattle,inside door latch,hatch hinge ........my first po and last.....back to those cheap chevys 

Totally agree. Modern Porsche interiors really aren’t what you expect of a high end sports car.. I think they look look great on the 987. I really like the look, but the plastics develop more rattles than any car I’ve ever had. Some smooth plastic surfaces also easy to scratch and button surfaces wear away easily. Not a very durable build on the interiors. Chasing rattles is like finding a mouse. I’ve got one on the right side dash, I just whack it now and again. Sometimes works. Other cars passing by must wonder why I’m hitting my car ha!

Having seen the guts of a 987/981 and 997 turbo engine you’d be scared. They’re not very robust at all. Some components look scary thin. Lots of cheesealinium and very thin sections around bores, it’s all about cost and stressing parts to the max. Years before the air cooled motors were built like tanks because they didn’t have the computer modelling that could safely push components to the limits of durability so they had to build them tougher. Then having nearly gone bust, Porsche learnt how to do mass production, at the cost of durability. Still reliable cars but more stressed for sure.

Edited by Buggyjam

On 04/07/2018 at 23:38, Buggyjam said:

Totally agree. Modern Porsche interiors really aren’t what you expect of a high end sports car.. I think they look look great on the 987. I really like the look, but the plastics develop more rattles than any car I’ve ever had. Some smooth plastic surfaces also easy to scratch and button surfaces wear away easily. Not a very durable build on the interiors. Chasing rattles is like finding a mouse. I’ve got one on the right side dash, I just whack it now and again. Sometimes works. Other cars passing by must wonder why I’m hitting my car ha!

Having seen the guts of a 987/981 and 997 turbo engine you’d be scared. They’re not very robust at all. Some components look scary thin. Lots of cheesealinium and very thin sections around bores, it’s all about cost and stressing parts to the max. Years before the air cooled motors were built like tanks because they didn’t have the computer modelling that could safely push components to the limits of durability so they had to build them tougher. Then having nearly gone bust, Porsche learnt how to do mass production, at the cost of durability. Still reliable cars but more stressed for sure.

^ Agree +1... Same with the Mercs ?

Edited by Mavrik