My Cayman Gen 2 and mods

Peopleandcars

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Beanoir said:

How does it drive with the new suspension?

Much more planted and reactive

Feel more of what's happening at the wheels

Just had a quick drive through Strines in peak District and  felt great

Will see how it feels on track!

The exhaust I think also is helping with quicker response from pedal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beanoir said:

Awesome! It’s a good combo you’ve chosen, I’ve heard good things about it.  

Where have your Fuchs gone??

Ah!

Fuchs are planned but not budgeted for this year - is north of £2800 fitted so will have to be sometime spring (just in time for my birthday >manmaths< )

Yeah I researched the suspension a lot, my previous experience being an M030 upgrade on a 986 S -- ultimately I wanted a no fuss more performant set-up without breaking the bank and this was a perfect fit... I supplied parts and with labor ended up short of £2200 all-in!

Found a lot of info from 996TT community and seemed very popular with them https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/381851-who-running-bilstein-b8-shocks-h-r-springs.html

I'm actuall thinking of doing it on the 996TT we have in Italy ?

Edited by Peopleandcars
typos

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Peopleandcars said:

Got some Numeric Racing shifter cables from US and arrived today

QBBCtYA.jpg

Will install these + new discs/pads and tyres and oil/fluids refresh

Have you got a short shift kit fitted / to fit as well, or do the new cables fit a ‘standard’ shifter?

what will be the benefits of the new cables (other than being new) - are they ‘slicker/smoother’? Do they have better attachments than the standard ones that sometimes ‘disintegrate’?

Am curious for intel in prep for ‘10 yr old refurb’ in the not too distant future.... ? 

Edited by Windymiller

7 hours ago, Peopleandcars said:

Got some Numeric Racing shifter cables from US and arrived today

QBBCtYA.jpg

Will install these + new discs/pads and tyres and oil/fluids refresh

Sound purchase there buddy! Bugger to fit but nice and direct feel to them.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windymiller said:

Have you got a short shift kit fitted / to fit as well, or do the new cables fit a ‘standard’ shifter?

what will be the benefits of the new cables (other than being new) - are they ‘slicker/smoother’? Do they have better attachments than the standard ones that sometimes ‘disintegrate’?

Am curious for intel in prep for ‘10 yr old refurb’ in the not too distant future.... ? 

Yes, cables fit on stock OEM units no issue as far as I learned.

I came across these as part of a 10 year old refurb plan as I want to run the car reliably for as long as possible

From what I read aside from virtually abolishing the breaking issue these also give a shorter throw and notchy-er, more mechanical feeling to the gear changes.

This is a good post with pics https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/314699-cayman-shifter-cables-installed.html

I am not interested in a shifter unit right now although the Numeric one looks like a serious piece of machinery, but is an expense that is not required for the purpose of my 10yo refurb plan so did not take priority. Maybe one day next year. With a Function First aluminium classic shift http://www.function-first.com/products/interior/classic-shift-knob

?

Edited by Peopleandcars
  • Thanks 1

I have been researching some options for AERO

Porsche used to make a kit (Tequipement code XAM) but is out of production. Cayman R look and about 150lbs downforce vs 66lbs downforce from the retractable wing at max speed. That translate to 10lbs more downforce vs stock at speed of 90mph...

The price of this was 2290+vat and bodyshop on top for paint. I have found some in US for exorbitant markup about $5200 for the part.

I called up Tech9 (Techart reseller UK) and asked about their kits.

They offer 2 options

Aerokit I

qu0Dpop.jpg

soU2AhM.jpg

Iqza7ah.jpg

Aerokit II

plN8rRI.jpg

rqRaiyE.jpg

1rbuD9q.jpg

I have asked for price and downforce specs for each.

For reference I found some prices from 2009  for the Aerokit I

front lip spoiler - $1,389
side skirts - $1,450
mirror inserts - $260
rear wing - $689
tailpipes, black - $999
lowering springs - $625

I think they both improve the look for the car so much more. The II being super aggressive and maybe a bit OTT for road., but in my opinion much better than Tequipment option

If those prices hold for Aero I it could be very good... esp because dont think I need tailpipes and springs since the car already has something there... I'll report back :D

Edited by Peopleandcars
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...