Short shift kit

Ben

Hi all, has anyone got an opinion on the OEM short shift kit for the 987? I'm considering it as a potential next upgrade, as it looks reasonably easy to fit. Does anyone have one and is able to comment on the ease of fitment and the impact on the shift quality? 

Thanks! 

On 04/11/2018 at 18:15, Ben said:

Hi all, has anyone got an opinion on the OEM short shift kit for the 987? I'm considering it as a potential next upgrade, as it looks reasonably easy to fit. Does anyone have one and is able to comment on the ease of fitment and the impact on the shift quality? 

Thanks! 

Unfortunately I can’t comment on your post Ben, but like yourself it’s a mod I’d like myself ( my list of “ must haves” unfortunately is growing month by month :( ) so I’m interested in any feedback too. Have you considered any other non OEM aftermarket options ? As there seems to be a few about.

5 hours ago, Ben said:

Thanks all, yes I had looked at some of the aftermarket options, which seem to range from worryingly cheap eBay stuff to the expensive such as Numeric.  I think the OEM kit may be the sweet spot for me as although perhaps not as effective as some some of the top end stuff, it looks pretty much 'plug and play' to fit, based on some of the YouTube videos I've seen anyway! Had a quote of around £290 delivered for the part which I thought wasn't too bad.  Will probably be the next thing I do after the Carnewal GT exhaust in January!  

Ok Ben, let us know how you get on fitting shifter as I’m interested in how easy it is to do yourself, and a good choice of exhaust. Heard a lot of good things about them, this is defo on my to do list but won’t be until later on next year :( 

1 hour ago, Mavrik said:

Maybe the price says it all, it does seem a little on the cheap side, but then again it might be perfectly ok. I think, personally I’d give it a miss. Just my opinion though. 

They do look remarkably similar! I've read on a US forum that the ebay kits can cause trouble when fitting though. Not sure if I'd want the hassle tbh! It's what attracts me to the OEM kit, albeit at a fair bit more cost. 

4 hours ago, Woodhouse said:

I fitted the Porsche short shifter to one of our two Gen 1 Caymans, with the other left stock.  Owning two at the same time allowed for side by side comparisons over the 3.5 years we owned both together.

The shifting action was one of several noticeable differences between the two cars.  The car that I fitted the short shift to always had a stiffer gear change, particularly when cold so my advice would be to only fit the short shifter if you are completely happy with the current shift action.  The short shifter will make it stiffer.  I actually preferred the lighter, though longer, shift over the shorter, stiffer one if I'm honest.

Thanks Woodhouse, good side by sid comparison, lucky chap to have two Caymans to choose from :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ian, that's really useful. I think my desire for a shorter shift stems from my previous cars - the mk 1 mx5 I once owned for example had a fantastic rifle bolt action. 

On 20/11/2018 at 00:18, Ben said:

Thanks Ian, that's really useful. I think my desire for a shorter shift stems from my previous cars - the mk 1 mx5 I once owned for example had a fantastic rifle bolt action. 

If you are after rifle bolt action, which the OEM short shift doesn't provide, you'll need the Numeric shifter cables. 

Edited by jdavis8361

11 hours ago, jdavis8361 said:

If you are after rifle bolt action, which the OEM short shift doesn't provide, you'll need the Numeric shifter cables. 

Yes I've looked into that and you're right, it does seem the cables help with the shift feel - the only issues I hear being they are tricky to fit and can cause noise from the transmission to enter the cabin?  But another possible future upgrade to add to the list!

• 8 months later...