Gearbox/Transaxle Oil Change - S1

Mavrik

Looking at changing my gearbox/transaxle oil in my S but can anyone that's done it confirm the quantity of oil required?

I gather the capacity should be 2.8L but I've read somewhere else that I'll need more than 3L ??

Looking at using the full synthetic Gulf Syngear 75w/90...

Edited by Mavrik

Did mine last year, 3 litres gave me a drop left, I’m not sure you could overfill it either unless your car was massively unlevel when you filled it.  

• Thanks 1

I changed the gearbox oil in both the Gen 1 S cars we owned back in the spring.  I used  exactly 3 bottles of Redline 75W90NS in each, at 1 US Quart or 946 ml each, so a total of 2.838 litres nominally.  I carefully leveled the cars on axle stands and in both cases, they were slightly overfilled from new as oil ran out when I removed the fill plug.  I probably ended up getting around 2.8 l into the box, allowing for dregs in the bottles and fill pipe and this just about brought the level to the overflow point so pretty much perfect, being between the level quoted in the workshop manual and what had actually been installed at the factory.

Make sure the suspension is not loaded when you remove the rear subframe braces for access to the drain plug.  Also, I bought a length of plastic pipe so I could stick a small funnel in the end and secure it in a static position alongside the car and simply pour the three bottles in, standing up.  This seemed a lot easier than laying under the car using my oil syringe to fill it up.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Peopleandcars said:

How many miles on car? When recommended?

For the Gen 1, it is 12 years or 120k miles IIRC.  One of ours was around 95k, the other around 77k miles.  

Edited by Woodhouse
Extra detail added.
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 08:49, Woodhouse said:

For the Gen 1, it is 12 years or 120k miles IIRC.  One of ours was around 95k, the other around 77k miles.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine is on 64k but for my peace of mind it isn't that expensive to ensure it's done imo.

Im debating whether to remove the subframe braces or just drill a suitable sized hole!?!

Edited by Mavrik

• 1 month later...

@Bushman ... Cheers for the heads up re drilling the access hole... That'll be my plan when I also put my GT3 master on... Alas, I'll be doing it all on stands/jacks on the blinkin road!!

I'll be using Gulf Syngear 75w/90

• Like 1