Ducktail project

Andrea

I was also thinking about a better tail than the factory one.
I like your idea but i would like to see a smaller version as well, just double the factory size.

I could help with prototyping, not sure about production though.
There is a carbon fiber guy in my city, maybe i can get him to build a few of these things.

Edited by morghen

1 hour ago, morghen said:

I was also thinking about a better tail than the factory one.
I like your idea but i would like to see a smaller version as well, just double the factory size.

I could help with prototyping, not sure about production though.
There is a carbon fiber guy in my city, maybe i can get him to build a few of these things.

There is already a ducktail that is "double the size" of the stock spoiler, but I don't really like it. You can easily find it on internet...

53 minutes ago, Andrea Frasky said:

There is already a ducktail that is "double the size" of the stock spoiler, but I don't really like it. You can easily find it on internet...

hm, could not find anything :o

Your design looks great as well, but i think a front lip needs to be added, otherwise you may get nose lift at higher speeds.
Do you plan a nose lip design as well?

23 minutes ago, morghen said:

hm, could not find anything :o

Your design looks great as well, but i think a front lip needs to be added, otherwise you may get nose lift at higher speeds.
Do you plan a nose lip design as well?

s-l300.jpg

When using a wing or ducktail you need to increase the rake angle of the car to generate downforce at the front. I could design a front lip but eventually..

34 minutes ago, Craiglm68 said:

Agreed, the version up top looks good. A few US crowds are making versions thereof.

Yes but problem is all the other designs are just too flat on the side walls and not a true Porsche style ducktail in my opinion. 

I could get the Getty one which I like as well, but I prefer mine....

How would your design attach to the car?

Would it be on the place of the factory lifting wing or on the hatch?

If its fixed on the hatch, do you plan to design a cover to fill the space created by removing the factory lifting wing?

Because your ducktail wing looks like it needs the factory wing gone, and if you open the hatch there will be a hole where the factory wing was.

It does not look like your design can be fixed on the factory mounts and still be able to open the hatch.

Can you please clarify?

Absolutely love it. I really looked into a ducktail last year but shelved it as didn’t like what was on offer. The current ones look like a beaver’s tail which is redilcuous.  Nothing like an RS tail.

i like your design.  The 987 always looked to me sort of like a baby retro 911 when debadged. Even more so with that. 

Edited by Buggyjam
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Buggyjam said:

The 987 always looked to me sort of like a baby retro 911 

Thanks, and that was my thought and aim as well.  All I need to do now is to try and make one out of fiberglass, but it would be my first time! 

• Thanks 1

Agree with mentioned above looks like your design will need to be fixed to the tailgate as it impedes the shut line. It’s why the current “beaver tail” ones look so wrong. Not just as they’re thin flaps and wrong angle but they sit on the current spoiler line which is slightly too rear and shallow in depth for a proper duck tail 

yours looks right on and good depth, but suspect you’d have the issues mentioned above?

This design must be fixed on the hatch but must also rest on the place where the factory wing seats.

So a support device must replace the factory wing and the ducktail must rest on that support device.

Regarding actually making the part, if you would send me the model to scale, i can 3D print it in 4-5 pieces, do an assembly trial and glue it together, then give it to a carbon fiber expert to make a mold.

Just a slight bit of feedback. It’s only a minor point, but I think it could do with being slightly less tall. As in not stick up quite so much. Slightly shallower perhaps. But that’s icing on the cake stuff and only after I looked again.

Great design! Really impressed. Hope you can get round the mounting issues

• Like 1

have you guys thought about a split design where the majority is mounted on the rear lid but the rear half is a separate moulding that either covers the original elevating spoiler ( with the motor unplugged) to form the complete ducktail profile or is a separate moulding that completely replaces the spoiler but uses the actuators inside to move an active airbrake built into the ducktail. this could be triggered by a signal from the brake lights. below 55mph when the spoiler would normally be down, an airbrake would have little effect anyway so it would just look like a 911 type ducktail.

just a crazy thought.

have you guys thought about a split design where the majority is mounted on the rear lid but the rear half is a separate moulding that either covers the original elevating spoiler ( with the motor unplugged) to form the complete ducktail profile or is a separate moulding that completely replaces the spoiler but uses the actuators inside to move an active airbrake built into the ducktail. this could be triggered by a signal from the brake lights. below 55mph when the spoiler would normally be down, an airbrake would have little effect anyway so it would just look like a 911 type ducktail.

just a crazy thought.

This ducktail wing is all the air brake you will ever need, more air brake you can get only by opening a parachute 😁

Edited by morghen