VIN Build Sheet

Stephen Auty

I recently bought a 987 Cayman S   

When I went to view the car I was going through the paperwork and thought it prudent to check the colour code in the service book was Speed Yellow...well it wasn't , it was Arctic Silver and the VIN number didn't match....I was concerned and quizzed the owner about it. He hadn't noticed..why would he? He had hardly driven the car in 9yrs.

To cut a long story short I worked out that when the car went in for its first service in 2009 (9961miles) the technician must have stamped the wrong book and handed it to the owner of this car. Whoever the Artic Silver one belonged to probably got the book from my Speed Yellow Cayman.  There is a proper Porsche invoice for that service with miles, VIN no. and reg no correct for my car to prove that they had made the mistake.

It an easy mistake to make I suppose.

I got in touch with Porsche Reading that day as the owner was struggling to understand what had happened and was quite concerned. Anyway they didn't want to admit it was their error and have since done nothing about providing me with my cars build sheet and a letter request to explain what has happened, so if I sell the car in the future it will be a lot easier to explain to the new owner .  The car was bought new from Reading I think.

There is no build sticker under the bonnet either and was told by Reading they stopped doing that approx 2006.

Does anyone know who to contact so I can obtain the build sheet for this car using the VIN number.?

I'm going to keep hassling Reading but it doesn't look like they want to admit they made the mistake back in 2009 when they clearly did. We sent scanned images of the book we have and the invoice so they can see everything..it's black and white but they can't see it or don't want to.

Regardless of this and the lack of any records of service history since 2010 I bought the car (at a much reduced price from advertised) as it was a peach....heart over head I think it's called. 

Edited by Stephen Auty

I haven't yet, that would be Edinburgh. I'll do that thanks, not sure why Reading is being so difficult.

I'm thinking of taking it in for a service just to get some up to date paperwork for it. It's only done 19k miles.

• Founder

Reading aren’t always as helpful as you think they should be.  If you can strike up a relationship with your local OPC they will be more likely to assist.  

Porsche used to issues certificates of authenticity and then later Certificates of Prodcution (which confirmed the factory spec) but I don’t think they do any more which is a shame.  

• Founder
23 minutes ago, Daz said:

I believe PCGB offer vehicle authenticity certification as part of membership.

I believe Porsche stopped issuing them at the end of last year Daz under the auspice of ‘data protection to the original owner’ 

PCGB members were up in arms about it as it was a club benefit they feel they paid for. 

4 hours ago, Beanoir said:

I believe Porsche stopped issuing them at the end of last year Daz under the auspice of ‘data protection to the original owner’ 

PCGB members were up in arms about it as it was a club benefit they feel they paid for. 

Thanks for the info, I was about to email PCGB about this as I couldn't find the reference to it on their site anymore. Won't bother now!  Shame, as it seemed like a good perk. 

Am I right in saying Porsche Reading is now the official HQ for UK?

I really don't know what to do as they aren't helping at all. 

I mean I know what options I think the car had but it would be nice to see it on official Porsche paper of some sort.

I suppose I might have to write to Germany and see if they can help.

Stephen have you tried to use one of the web sites where you can check the build from the vin. I have done it in the past and it seemed pretty accurate. 

Not sure which one one I used. Here is a link to one site.

http://www.kindel.com/porsche/options.asp

I can't try it to see if it works, away in Northern Finland. 

My brother sent me a link to one in the US    https://vinanalytics.com/unavailable/?vin=WP0ZZZ98Z8U770681 but it is unavailable...maybe because it's a non US car.

I couldn't find one in the UK, the one you kindly sent is to decode the option codes, only I don't have them.

I emailed Reading again today and they have been responded and said they'll do whatever they can (next week now)

• 2 weeks later...