Beanoir's Ford Fiesta XR2 Restoration Project

• Founder

Ok, so i'm not sure if I post this here on non-Porsche car chat, either way if mods want to move it go ahead.  I thought i'd post up and keep a running thread of a project near completion.  Anyway I thought i'd share with some petrolheads who might appreciate. 

My Ford Fiesta XR2 (Yep, thats right, an old Ford!) has been 90% restored but due to a spun bearing after just a few hundred miles into it's rebuilt engine it's been sitting in the garage feeling sorry for itself for the last 18 months.  

'PRU' is a 1988 XR2 I've had for 13 years, I bought her from an elderly lady down in Devon who'd had her from new (so i'm the 2nd owner). The car has been there with me through thick and thin and when I had the money I decided to bring here back from edge of a rust induced coma with a full restoration.  Everything except the bodywork was done by me pretty much, aside from some powder coating of a few parts.

I do have a detailed build thread on VAGOC but it's in the members area which requires signing up, but here are a few photos... 

IN the beginning...

IMG_1579.jpg

DSCF0094_zps1e7369b8.jpg

And then a few years of spannering to bring her back to health

79CE6D55-CEFD-4072-BC7D-B6C2B2BE408C_zps

MK3_8297_zpsa16e36ce.jpg

MK3_8290_zps97ab4d0a.jpg

MK3_8287_zps16df7806.jpg

MK3_0113_zps34651745.jpg

XR2_zpsa77be9db.jpg

A69BE563-81CE-4DB8-9360-57F320AC1C2B-595

F30F90A5-328C-4921-AB7D-EA900A5B899F-130

796d9886.jpg

Edited by Beanoir
  • Like 1

• Founder

The reason i've thought to resurrect a bit of a build thread is because I have finally found somebody who is interested in stripping the engine and has some engineering experience and can have the crankshaft re-ground, bearings to fit and and correct any other mistakes i've made in the process of building the engine.  

So next Wednesday, being picked up and taken away for a week or two, the excitement has returned now at the prospect of having it back on the road for the good weather this year :)  

• Founder

Cheers Guys! 

The engine is the original 1.6 CVH, I rebuilt it and replaced everything, bearings, rings, plugs, bolts, ancillaries (water pump, oil pump etc).  What I didn't do is measure crankshaft and bearings accordingly, I went for standard spec and that turned out to be wrong.  So it's being fixed this week hopefully.  

As for modifications

• Cylinder head has been ported and skimmed and matched to the new inlet manifold.  
  • Weber twin 40 DCNF Carbs
  • Kent fast road camshaft 
  • Kent vernier pulley
  • Magnex 4 branch stainless manifold 
  • Magnex full stainless exhaust system
  • Electronic Facet Red top fuel pump and uprated fuel filter

Its not mega spec, but it should be enough to give somewhere in the region of 125-135bhp which in a car weighing 850kg is enough for a bit of fun.  They're around 96bhp as standard.  

If I wanted mega power, then i'd have to go with a Zetec conversion which isn't expensive and north of 200bhp is pretty easy and that would be a fast car, but I wanted to keep the original engine and also mods that were of the era. 

Few more engine pics...  

IMG_0361-1.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

CylinderHeadComp.jpg

Edited by Beanoir
  • Like 1

• Founder
On 5 February 2016 at 08:58, Webdunk said:

A mate of mine has been involved with racing these at Knockhill :-)

5679528466_b0cfe8345e_z.jpg

Nice, I know a couple of guys in the XR circles racing them, who is it?  

12 hours ago, Beanoir said:

Nice, I know a couple of guys in the XR circles racing them, who is it?  

Hamish Smart - piloting the XR2 in my picture under his moniker Haggis.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founder

Ok so, a quick update.  

Car was collected on Saturday by the guy doing the work on the engine, he's an old school type mechanic and engineer with a background in racing bikes and supporting race teams, I liked him.  He said he'd pull the engine out over the course of the week and report back with his findings.  

Spoke to him this morning and the news is not too bad, but a couple of bits that need doing;

- one piston feels a bit lose on the bottom end which suggests a bearing has gone as we thought

- No.2 cylinder has had water ingress and nakered the bore

- inlet manifold needs attention 

- thermostat housing needs a new gasket and bung

So not a disaster, likely remedy is;

- Crankshaft re-grind

- re-bore all 4 cylinders with new pistons to fit (i'm guessing +0.5mm oversize) - i'm not looking for an over-bored block particularly or spending out on forged pistons etc. 

- Balance crankshaft and pistons

- rebuild engine properly!  

Edited by Beanoir

• 1 month later...
  • Founder

no...but I spoke to garage today and reminded them that the MOT ran out today. 

Good news is that it's up and running!  He will get an MOT on it for me and should (all being well) be back with me tomorrow...watch this space

On 03/02/2016 at 22:50, Beanoir said:

The reason i've thought to resurrect a bit of a build thread is because I have finally found somebody who is interested in stripping the engine and has some engineering experience and can have the crankshaft re-ground, bearings to fit and and correct any other mistakes i've made in the process of building the engine.  

So next Wednesday, being picked up and taken away for a week or two, the excitement has returned now at the prospect of having it back on the road for the good weather this year :)  

Might be worth putting new diff bearings in at same time as they were a problem with wear which used to stop the speedo working

• Like 1

• Founder

Went for a spring evening drive tonight :) 

engine now noticeabley better and revs nicely and pulls at 4K really well, can't rev it out much more as I need to bed the bearings in, seeks the camshaft is doing its thing though.  

All very retro! image.thumb.jpeg.73dd13c8b69cd38c9a8ba65

image.thumb.jpeg.e594f412226904b13c58bc8

• Founder

It's certainly a bizzare driving experience what with the tin can construction, offset steering wheel and windscreen an inch from your nose! 

Its perkier than it was for sure, it's not fast by modern standards, but then I'm not sure I'm keen on traveling all that fast in it to be honest.  Does handle surprisingly well though, very 'go-kart' like 

• Like 1

I thought I was doing really well when I bought a brand new 'sporty' Fiesta 1100S in 1980. The XR2 when it was launched could only be a dream for me. I did 'tune' my 1100S by fitting an anti-dive kit to the front suspension!

Fiesta_1.1_S.jpg.28375693f4701add6bbc332

Sorry to hijack your thread.

• Like 1

Seems like an old Fiesta was a right of passage for members of the club! 

First car was a 1985 1100 Ghia, with optional electronic boot release! 

This does make it a MK2, although I think some guys have a few years on me :sAng_stirthepot:

• Founder

A nice find on eBay this weekend, turned up today.  A new old stock fog light switch to replace the broken one in my car, very rare to find bits like this these days! 

image.thumb.jpeg.6c8ceb1c6cb40cabc38446e