Broken Cayman S

Hi all,

just sat waiting for the car to be recovered to Jasmine Porsche!!!! the other day my Mrs was using the car and was close by and rang to say the coolant water light had come on, I said as long as the temp stays the same should be ok. 5 mins later she rand to say there was a rubbing/ tapping noise but it had stopped when she stopped but she said temp was still on normal.

I said should be ok and your only 2 miles from home so keep coming............ When she got her it sounded like 2tonne of hardcore in a washing machine on full spin, water was dripping from under the middle of the car but not a great deal. I did a quick google search and it sounds like the water pump noise.

But the water leak Jasmine have said that could be the coolant hoses that run from front to back, has anyone had any issues with these and replacement costs? I Will keep you in formed, the cost of the water pump is £135

https://jasmine-porschalink.co.uk/?s=water+pump&post_type=product&dgwt_wcas=1

Thanks for looking and let me know if you have any input.

Cheer's Dean

Edited by FLAT STICK

Hi coolant hoses are quiet common problem. There is a big bundle that run across the front of the car. I believe the end sections are rubber and the middle are metal. If they need to replace the complete bundle it’s £450 for parts and £400 labour. You also have to have a geo check as the sub frame has to be dropped about £180 ish. 

Hopefully it’s only a single rubber end which are £30 each.

Yeah, I got my lower coolant hose replaced just today. Just the hose is £25 but at the end the all job done VAT included is £200...

Hi all,

Sorry for the late update but had a lot on, well as thought it was the water pump that failed!!! They checked all the hoses and although they showed singes of corrosion there were no leaks or drips. They  said to budget £1000 for the job or replacing all the pipes?

Dean

Not to put a downer on things but make sure the water pump going hadn’t effected the head gasket or the head itself. This can happen if the car overheats. 

Remember also that the temp gauge doesn’t tell the actual water temp. 

Anyway hope it’s all ok for you. 

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 21:45, Kai said:

Not to put a downer on things but make sure the water pump going hadn’t effected the head gasket or the head itself. This can happen if the car overheats. 

Remember also that the temp gauge doesn’t tell the actual water temp. 

Anyway hope it’s all ok for you. 

Hi, Ye all is fine the car lost about 1lt of water and was close to home when it failed and Jasmine Porsche said it had no leaks or drips from the hoses but if they do need changing need to budget about £1000, but lets hope that does not become an issue.

Dean

Sorry to hear that. The price sounds right for pipes.

My front pipes went “catastrophe” and dumped coolant on the drive. Just to give an idea I was charged £950 all in by Porsche in Belfast. I was in a mega rush as moving house the day after so couldn’t wait to get it booked in anywhere else and they pulled a blinder and put it to the front of their to do list to help me out.  Although a fortune on the face of it for pipes it’s a bigger job than it would appear on first glance. I was chuffed at the price as seems to be very similar to a lot of Indis and they’re top lads who work at that opc so know it’s a pucker job. That included full laser alignment as front sub frame had to come out.

Oh, not preaching to the choir, just  passing on advice that was given to me  that might save the wallet in the future. If you ever have anything to do with cooling in these, get off the road and turn it off immediately. No trying to make it home or down the road. These engines with their high compression ratio are sensitive to cooling and apparently it can go wrong very quickly. That OPC I went to had a guy had very similar to you, a light and some noises and rang Porsche. They said to not run the engine and get it trailered in. He ignored them, drove the two miles to the OPC then the pump gave up and it marched into the red and he didn’t catch it. It goosed the engine in those two miles.

Luckily I had this in my head so when the local breakdown trailer guy turned up and wanted to drive the car on to the trailer (there was coolant everywhere on the floor).  I refused and insisted it was winched. If it ever were a water pump that had failed you also don’t want to turn the engine over anyway until the sump can be checked for fragments. 

Hope it gets fixed soon and rides again in no time! 😀

Edited by Buggyjam