Detailing - Pay for it or DIY? Where? How?

I'v never had it done. "Clay-ing"; "Crystal serum" - all new to me!

I've only used Auto Glym Super Resin car polish in the last 20 years, and their Shampoo & Conditioner. Does for me.

Who has used a detailing service, and would you do so again? Why? Why not do it yourself?

Discuss.....

Learn to do it yourself. 

(Super Resin Polish) SRP is full of fillers and just hides the scratches. Spend a couple of hundred quid on a DA polisher and compounds and spend some time. I did my Touareg before selling it. took 3 weeks to do head to toe but worth it. 

Always do it myself, SRP has its uses but remember it's just a polish and not a wax or a sealant.  

I quite enjoy buying new products and using them myself, and after spending a weekend or a day doing the car it's a great sense of achievement.  

Red Square is right about investing in your own equipment and DA polisher, I'd probably add that you should practice using it on something that doesn't matter much first, it's still possible to burn through your paint with a modem DA.  

Not bad stuff, but i've come to the conclusion there are better products for less money.  I think it's a case of paying for a name, or rather a high street brand.  

The Collimate wax and sealant products are often rated very well.  Dodo Juice also make some good waxes.  

Have a look on Polished Bliss website, they have all sorts of products on there, not just the stuff you find in Halfords.  

• Like 1

• Founder

Yep, try the Colinite 845 Insulator Wax, nice and easy to apply and lasts ages in-between coats.  

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-no-845-insulator-wax/prod_208.html

I think the general plan is to wash your car thoroughly and use a clay bar to remove contaminants, then a good polish or paint cleaner, then a sealant or wax.  

I've also had good results with Poor Boys EX-P on my grey and silver cars, or any metallics, really nice flake pop.   Use instead of a wax.  

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/poorboys-ex-p-sealant/prod_26.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beanoir said:

Yep, try the Colinite 845 Insulator Wax, nice and easy to apply and lasts ages in-between coats.  

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-no-845-insulator-wax/prod_208.html

I think the general plan is to wash your car thoroughly and use a clay bar to remove contaminants, then a good polish or paint cleaner, then a sealant or wax.  

I've also had good results with Poor Boys EX-P on my grey and silver cars, or any metallics, really nice flake pop.   Use instead of a wax.  

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/poorboys-ex-p-sealant/prod_26.html

Do both of those need some kind of surface prep before applying? looks like the 2nd one would?

I've been reading about decontamination of surfaces, and it seems to be some kind of alchemy!

Is just washing the car sufficient or does it need more than this?

Like beanoir said above...

1. Wash (cleans car)

2. Clay Bar (removes surface contamination)

3. Polish (removes swirls and scratches)

4, Wax (protects and shines)

Simple  

7 hours ago, PhilCS said:

Like beanoir said above...

1. Wash (cleans car)

2. Clay Bar (removes surface contamination)

3. Polish (removes swirls and scratches)

4, Wax (protects and shines)

Simple  

Ooo-er! O.o

Never used a clay bar, and does this polishing involve a machine?

I'm OK with 1 & 4 though!

I really wouldn't bother with a machine polisher unless you can see visible swirls in the paint, instead just polish by hand.  

Clay bar procedure feels a bit weird and almost as if you shouldn't be doing it (rubbing a piece of plasticine across your cars paintwork)  But as long as you lube up (ooh-er) then you'll be fine.  

Watch this...then give it a go

• Like 1

Yes, a little scared of going through the paint with a machine!

I liked the products Beanoir linked to, but which clay for a novice? And what do I use to lube with?

• Founder

Get something like a Meguires clay kit or Autogleam, they come with spray lube.  That's what I use.  It's only something you need to use a couple of times a year at the most, depending on how much you drive your car.  

• Founder

Again I've used Super Resin polish, or Meguirs or a variety of others.  Have a look on Polished Bliss website for polishes (not wax) and see what takes your fancy and matches your budget.

I would recommend using the foam pads for polishing on with, much easier than a cloth. 

1 hour ago, Beanoir said:

Again I've used Super Resin polish, or Meguirs or a variety of others.  Have a look on Polished Bliss website for polishes (not wax) and see what takes your fancy and matches your budget.

I would recommend using the foam pads for polishing on with, much easier than a cloth. 

You seem very knowledgeable in this area Nick. I think a video of you doing a complete detailing job on my car would add greatly to this thread. ;)

• Founder
31 minutes ago, DJMC said:

You seem very knowledgeable in this area Nick. I think a video of you doing a complete detailing job on my car would add greatly to this thread. ;)

Ha! Nice try ;) 

I'm not an expert by any stretch just like to know what I'm doing when it comes to my cars to make sure I don't cock it up. 

Im also a bit of a clean-freak :$