sevenfourates 987.1 Meteor Grey Cayman.........

sevenfourate

On 26/03/2020 at 17:58, sevenfourate said:

The modern World has meant the P-car has taken a slight back seat in recent weeks. I've been designated as a key worker (Lead Engineer in a Port - which is a key transport hub for food / medicine and the Government have said must stay open / working). So in the short term no money worries. Just the 'having' to go out amongst "everything" day in and day out and risk my health. Self-sufficient at work recently and not in contact with anyone else - but will be re-considering if / when that changes. Not easy......

Anyway. Car was supposed to be getting back on the road 1st April - after some interior work / re-finishing, last of the exterior paintwork niggles and new rear main seal fitted too.

But understandably things are a little behind. The only in-progress pics i have are of the centre console. Which my paint-man says was an absolute nightmare in terms of removing  the rubberised finish - and then painting in body colour. He actually said that his tennis days are over; and that i owe him a new elbow from all the rubbing / prepping work 🤣

vcIl2D5.jpg

And after primer, paint, lacquer etc:

ftfNkk2.jpg

vDo2Xi9.jpg

***Will update as i get pics in the upcoming days.

Take care of yourselves and those around you folks 👌 See you on the other side.........

Loving the centre console, I've been on the look out for a white one for a while. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tozerman said:

Spooky.  I also changed my bonnet badge recently.  Got a standard one from OPC for about £90-100 I think 🤔 

Only got one because the old one broke trying to remove it to clean the bonnet 🙄

"World's most expensive bonnet clean" 🤣

What a shame; i believe mine was replaced with a Brand New item when it had a major service in May last year. Very few miles from me last year / garaged all the time; and still in like new condition. You could have had that.......🤨

Edited by sevenfourate

1 minute ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Loving the centre console, I've been on the look out for a white one for a while. 

Thanks.

Yes finding one would be an awful lot easier / cheaper. The man-hours that went into the stripping off the rubberised finish and prepping alone is going to make it quite a bill per-se i think.

White would look fantastic in yours / a White car......

3 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

"World's most expensive bonnet clean" 🤣

What a shame; i believe mine was replaced with a Brand New item when it had a major service in May last year. Very few miles from me last ear / garaged all the time; and still in like new condition. You could have had that.......🤨

😭😭

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of updates 🙄

The not so small job of new IMS and RMS seals:

g4Cn1e6.jpg

Along with new g/box oil whilst "in there":

b0rw9f5.jpg

Centre console re-finished in body colour instead of the stock black rubberised finish:

e5G6QFY.jpg

8D4saAL.jpg

Along with having either side 'scuff plates" on the inside above the sill inside refinished / re-painted to retain the slight original texture (Forgot to take pics fitted):

MgNi1VZ.jpg

My talented sprayer also blended in / sympathetically repaired 2 marks on the drivers rear arch, a "rock-ding" in the roof: and a slight lacquer peel under the drivers lower window seal along with some chips / marks / scratches on the drivers door handle and surrounding trim:

POYbxZj.jpg

He also painted my grilles in contrasting Satin Black instead of body colour:

Ge6gi7M.jpg

And removed and re-painted the exhaust trim set into the bumper, in a very slightly brighter silver - and a gloss finish to replace the standard satin affair:

BEFORE:

aqDiEU2.jpg

AFTER:

NXXMkGW.jpg

He also fitted my new bonnet badge in Black / Silver; to fit in with the keeping of the "colour scheme" of the car:

Standard:

jbKQB8X.jpg

And now:

xB7ulvF.jpg

And as the battery seemed like it was getting suspect sitting around my 

talented mechanic / sprayers garage......and i really didn't want to get into the scenario of being unable to get in / the back-up cable giving us issues getting to the frunk; so an uprated Bosche item was fitted:

yzo07nM.jpg

So just waiting for this to clear UK Customs from Puerto Rico (In Black though !)........

80Y2XZS.jpg

VIDEO OF THE ABOVE ITEM:

Along with a new BMC air-filter:

YTRXqzy.jpg

......and i'll then collect and get overall pics pronto. Can't wait now. Its all taken quite some time to get this lot together.  I just want to enjoy it in some decent weather now. It will be getting used for work !

Thanks for checking-in 😎

Edited by sevenfourate

Wow...…… @sevenfourate read your entire blog today!  Mightily impressed with your passion and the robustness of your marriage and wallet!!

Lots of inspiration too for when I get my car.  The usual low level changes in mind, like many I guess, it's when they are done and the fever takes hold I guess I need to be concerned.

Initial preparations ahead of getting my car include the garage, halfway through that  already, then I am still researching best method for the trickle charger (already got one on my trail bike) in terms of direct battery link or via lighter socket and how to run lead through closed door or bonnet so car can be left locked and finally indoor car cover.  How have you found yours now that you have had it for a few months?

Keep up the good work :91_thumbsup:

• Like 1

All looks good mate, very impressed with the results. 

I think now stop fettling it and drive the thing 😁

Oh wait 🤔 perhaps soon hopefully.. 

TritonII check my thread for how I connected my charger. 

• Like 1

On 29/04/2020 at 18:23, sevenfourate said:

Couple of updates 🙄

The not so small job of new IMS and RMS seals:

g4Cn1e6.jpg

Along with new g/box oil whilst "in there":

b0rw9f5.jpg

Centre console re-finished in body colour instead of the stock black rubberised finish:

e5G6QFY.jpg

8D4saAL.jpg

Along with having either side 'scuff plates" on the inside above the sill inside refinished / re-painted to retain the slight original texture (Forgot to take pics fitted):

MgNi1VZ.jpg

My talented sprayer also blended in / sympathetically repaired 2 marks on the drivers rear arch, a "rock-ding" in the roof: and a slight lacquer peel under the drivers lower window seal along with some chips / marks / scratches on the drivers door handle and surrounding trim:

POYbxZj.jpg

He also painted my grilles in contrasting Satin Black instead of body colour:

Ge6gi7M.jpg

And removed and re-painted the exhaust trim set into the bumper, in a very slightly brighter silver - and a gloss finish to replace the standard satin affair:

BEFORE:

aqDiEU2.jpg

AFTER:

NXXMkGW.jpg

He also fitted my new bonnet badge in Black / Silver; to fit in with the keeping of the "colour scheme" of the car:

Standard:

jbKQB8X.jpg

And now:

xB7ulvF.jpg

And as the battery seemed like it was getting suspect sitting around my 

talented mechanic / sprayers garage......and i really didn't want to get into the scenario of being unable to get in / the back-up cable giving us issues getting to the frunk; so an uprated Bosche item was fitted:

yzo07nM.jpg

So just waiting for this to clear UK Customs from Puerto Rico (In Black though !)........

80Y2XZS.jpg

VIDEO OF THE ABOVE ITEM:

Along with a new BMC air-filter:

YTRXqzy.jpg

......and i'll then collect and get overall pics pronto. Can't wait now. Its all taken quite some time to get this lot together.  I just want to enjoy it in some decent weather now. It will be getting used for work !

Thanks for checking-in 😎

I've not found one pice of debris in my filter housing since de-snorking, probably a fluke mind.

4 hours ago, TritonII said:

Wow...…… @sevenfourate read your entire blog today!  Mightily impressed with your passion and the robustness of your marriage and wallet!!

Lots of inspiration too for when I get my car.  The usual low level changes in mind, like many I guess, it's when they are done and the fever takes hold I guess I need to be concerned.

Initial preparations ahead of getting my car include the garage, halfway through that  already, then I am still researching best method for the trickle charger (already got one on my trail bike) in terms of direct battery link or via lighter socket and how to run lead through closed door or bonnet so car can be left locked and finally indoor car cover.  How have you found yours now that you have had it for a few months?

Keep up the good work :91_thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoyed ! The car / my ways aren’t everyone’s cup of tea - but either way it’s my interpretation of perhaps what you might call an OEM+ version to some degree; where I’ve tried to keep things kind of original / how Porsche might have done it; with most of the ‘alterations’ / cosmetic changes in keeping per-se as opposed to screaming ‘modified’ at you......

I didn’t want to go the accessories socket route ref a trickle charger. Instead choosing to use a battery harness with a connection then eminating outside the car. The charger end of mine then hanging down from the garage rafters so then when I park up it’s a couple of inches above the final connection point at the bottom of the windscreen.  A little ‘more hassle hooking it up and having to open the frunk; but keeps it all tidy, doesn’t require leads running over seals / through the door / leaving windows ajar etc; and as it’s only a weekend car - the 20 seconds it takes to connect / remove isn’t a problem..

How is the indoor cover ? It fabulous. Especially for 30 odd quid. I’ve used this exact cover on a few cars: and a couple (?) here also purchased on the back of my ‘review’. It’s breatheable, good looking, washable, stretchy / extremely soft and 100% kind to paintwork. I don’t know what more you’d want ?

Best of luck in your search and pre Porsche prep  !!

3 hours ago, Tozerman said:

All looks good mate, very impressed with the results. 

I think now stop fettling it and drive the thing 😁

Oh wait 🤔 perhaps soon hopefully.. 

TritonII check my thread for how I connected my charger. 

Thanks Tony ! All the plans i had when i layed it up in Dec have just about come to fruition. Just awaiting for the de-snork mesh to land on my door-mat; so  can install that and then only have to re-fit the freshly painted grill once.

Then i'll be taxing it early next week and using for work on a nice day. I've layed up cars for longer over winter. but this feels to have gone on forever. So looking forward to driving the thing now.....

Cheers.

Full interior / boot / frunk LED set, driving light LED's, low beam LED's and number-plate LED's ordered last night thanks to the great info on here in numerous discussions.

Trying to picture / capture  the freshly finished centre console a couple of days ago with the car inside and the door courtesy lights on; made me remember and realise just how awful / yellow / ancient looking the lighting is. This should drag another of the Cayman's "olde" looking traits a little more into the current era.

And i'm a little disappointed to see i missed a 1200 mile old Stainless Remus Exhaust on ebay a few days ago that went for £800. And would have been £1400 new with the Satin tail-pipes / Carbon insert. Happened for a reason i guess and i wasn't actively searching as-such....... 😒

"I didn’t want to go the accessories socket route ref a trickle charger. Instead choosing to use a battery harness with a connection then eminating outside the car. The charger end of mine then hanging down from the garage rafters so then when I park up it’s a couple of inches above the final connection point at the bottom of the windscreen."

@sevenfourate Thanks for your reply and understand your objectives, my situation will be much the same.  I have the harness with the connector on my trail bike, which obviously doesn't have doors etc!!  So when you are hooked up on charge  assume the connectors mating the car harness to the charger lead are outside of the car, is the trunk then closed and the car locked with the lead running through the trunk seal?  Just trying to solve how to leave the car locked and the charger lead not being crushed.

Many thanks, and for confirmation of the performance of the indoor cover.

• Like 1

"TritonII check my thread for how I connected my charger. "

Thanks @Tozerman, I will have a look, I think I saw it the other day but so much information...…….  Loving all the ideas and the enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, TritonII said:

"I didn’t want to go the accessories socket route ref a trickle charger. Instead choosing to use a battery harness with a connection then eminating outside the car. The charger end of mine then hanging down from the garage rafters so then when I park up it’s a couple of inches above the final connection point at the bottom of the windscreen."

@sevenfourate Thanks for your reply and understand your objectives, my situation will be much the same.  I have the harness with the connector on my trail bike, which obviously doesn't have doors etc!!  So when you are hooked up on charge  assume the connectors mating the car harness to the charger lead are outside of the car, is the trunk then closed and the car locked with the lead running through the trunk seal?  Just trying to solve how to leave the car locked and the charger lead not being crushed.

Many thanks, and for confirmation of the performance of the indoor cover.

Mine is done so bonnet closes, connection is easily gotten to and car can be locked. I think this is what you’re also looking to achieve ?

If I haven’t got pics on file - I’ll take some and post here tonight.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

Mine is done so bonnet closes, connection is easily gotten to and car can be locked. I think this is what you’re also looking to achieve ?

If I haven’t got pics on file - I’ll take some and post here tonight.

Cheers.

@sevenfourate Exactly what I am looking for..... appreciate when you have time, no rush as the car still isn't imminent yet!

Thanks,

5 hours ago, TritonII said:

@sevenfourate Exactly what I am looking for..... appreciate when you have time, no rush as the car still isn't imminent yet!

Thanks,

@TritonII

So. I have the trickle charger mounted on the wall. And a long lead from that that runs up over the rafter above; and then hangs down a few inches above the battery area of the car (When parked) where it connects:

z05jmB3.jpg

xF9cYJe.jpg

When using the charger i pull in to the garage and open the frunk.

rKHfFNh.jpg

Two quick release clips; left and right - on the battery cover to remove - is standard factory stuff:

CYutmNC.jpg

***And you can see the connector point of my harness on the right of the battery (I got one with a battery condition indicator built in). I just pull that out and up toward bottom of windscreen and connect up [At this point i actually then pass it through a pocket i had sewn into my car cover]. Shut frunk. Lock car and go indoors 😆

**Think this was first time i fitted the cover and "pre-pocket" 🤣 But you can see the charger on wall, wires hanging down enough to get the idea !

gO1zAyh.jpg

***You could likely also pass the wiring harness in the car through the gap in the side of the battery cover / surroundng trim if you wanted to leave it "hanging out" all the time; or drill a hole / cut a very small slot somewhere in there for it to pass through. I just figure i've not hacked anything apart, no wires are risking being trapped - and perhaps it's no bad thing to go in the frunk, remove battery cover and check all is ok in there periodically anyway 👍

Good luck !

Edited by sevenfourate

I believe in my very first post - i used the word 'anal' . Well; the 'gripes' i had over this car are getting pretty darned scant now - because of changes i've made along the way. The lighting was one of them and something i've not tackled until now. Interior is very yellow' and dated. Exterior - reference seeing where you're going - is poor: and again looks very dated.

Every single interior inc trunk and frunk LED's just arrived, along with low beam and driving light LED's that should sort that. **I believe without a lot of faffing around the high beam isn't quite so straightforward in LED. May have to just upgrade the stock bulbs to something a little more modern..... (Thoughts anyone ???)

OfqTc3A.jpg