sevenfourates 987.1 Meteor Grey Cayman.........

sevenfourate

Most of my day today has been spent doing some PPP (Pre Porsche Prep).......😁

C-Tek trickle charger - which i already used; has now been moved - and screwed in a suitable place for the Cayman - onto the garage wall. And i've purchased a new harness part needed to make a permanent connection to the cars battery. Looks neat with the  'Traffic light' warnings - to give you a visual heads-up on battery condition.

And although no actual car for me until i collect it next Saturday i have now taxed it, insured it and sorted out ownership (Online) with the DVLA. So as soon as the V5C arrives back [Mid week fingers crossed !]  i can transfer my private number to it right away; and be 100% read to collect the car at that point.

Also had a complete tidy-up and clear out in the front end of the garage, cut down some storage units at the rear, turned a workbench around etc; in order to maximise the space available that Persimmon homes generously 'give' you 😎

Could be a long week this week.......

ELNSzJF.jpg

6uaF8eD.jpg

gmES3DM.jpg

On 23/07/2019 at 07:09, Liongolfer said:

Great color!

I've got the same ctek charger which I use once a quarter for my CS.  Porsche batteries are not the best from my experience.

Thanks. Colour is very 'professional looking' without being OTT i think.

C-Tek is about as good as it gets i think for a trickle / maintenance charger.

Can't imagine my 2007 is on the original battery now !

Edited by sevenfourate

43 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

Bet you can’t wait!! 

P.S. loved your build thread on Clio197 - all 143 pages!! 👍🏻👍🏻

Arghhhh....

197/200 fan, avid reader or stalker ? 😂

Edited by sevenfourate

Car looks brilliant. When I was looking the only other colour I would consider was a grey one if I couldn't find a red one. 

Any way very very nice looking Cayman.. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tozerman said:

Car looks brilliant. When I was looking the only other colour I would consider was a grey one if I couldn't find a red one. 

Any way very very nice looking Cayman.. 

The irony being: i'd have had a Guards Red in a heartbeat if the right car had of been local.....!

That's a lovely car , congratulations! And I have a similar sounding golf ball dent on a rear wheel arch, did you see how the paintless repair chair took it out? I need to find someone local to do the same.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Craiglm68 said:

That's a lovely car , congratulations! And I have a similar sounding golf ball dent on a rear wheel arch, did you see how the paintless repair chair took it out? I need to find someone local to do the same.

Thanks Craig.

Oh dear. Mine was miniscule. But anyway: Far as i gather some / most of the metal rear arch is double skinned. So 'you' can't roll / work it out from underneath as you can't physically get to it.

So typically the dent guys actually temporarily glue something right above the affected area on the paintwork itself - then connect a slide-hammer to that - and tease the dent upwards and outwards. Then carefully heat / remove the glue !!!! 

Ad no i didn't get to see him do it. The supplying dealer sent me the photo of the dent man at work. I'd have liked to have done though !

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MarkGTS said:

Congrats! Looks lovely in Seal Grey.  Are you coming to the breakfast meet on Sunday? 

Thanks very much Mark.

I did see the meet. (Unusually) i'm already committed this Sunday - and wasn't sure if i'd have the car or not this soon.

But i'd love to join you guys in the future if that's ok ?

• Like 1

Some people see a clean, original Cayman. Mainly at the moment i just see 'grime'. Not much of it per-se and i am ultra anal about a (My !) cars cleanliness. But certainly grime. And it's not even my grime 😮

So at the moment this coupled with a few odd items / areas i'd like to renew / tidy-up etc means that i shall be doing something, organising something or perhaps purchasing something every single day; to make the car mine; to put my mark on it and to get it up to my high standards.

So as the forecast was for some grotty weather today; i left in it the garage, fired the radio on and started cleaning / tidying up in the boot. Not too bad in there apart from a tiny few coolant spots on the carpet - which easily came off - and a couple of hours detailing later and everything was well in my World.

Under the bonnet was a different story. I started to remove some cover panels and the years of dirt, debris, decaying leaves etc in there was obvious. I was in my element ! 🤣

So after removing the plastics:

aDWePqZ.jpg

......i washed them all thoroughly in the sink with a detailing brush and a little APC. And then treated them all with a few coats of Satin finish Armorall; which i left to cure / dry.

I then set about the scuttle panel, battery tray area, under the actual bonnet itself etc - cleaned it all up, protecting the plastic under there with the same Armorall protectant, and gave all paintwork a couple of coats of Sonax BSD QD spray. Also conditioned all of the rubber seals with Aerospace 303 rubber / seal conditioner:

FUCr2Xp.jpg

Little by little i worked around the scuttle panel, the storage areas upfront, had the tool kit out and cleaned up in there etc etc. I then started putting it back together:

m0VtmFt.jpg

Once to this stage:

04kQ3wV.jpg

I took some time out from cleaning-up; to install the direct-to-battery wiring; to enable my C-Tek charger / conditioner to plumb straight into the car......

CYutmNC.jpg

Had a thorough hoover, quick last wipe over of the plastics - and job done:

rKHfFNh.jpg

8 hours down today for under bonnet and boot. Interior tomorrow if the wet stuff stays away.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2019 at 19:48, MarkGTS said:

Nice job!! Looking really clean 👍🏻

Thankyou very much Mark. Starting to make an impression on it now....

Managed to get outside for an hour tonight and finish off cleaning the exhaust tips outside and in. But mainly a purchasing day today:

Matt Black 'Porsche' lower door decals

Matt Black rear Cayman badge

Sebro Rear discs and Textar pads

Booked in Friday for brake fitting, fluid change and handbrake adjustment

Booked in Monday onwards for Machine polishing / light correction work, sealer and then wax

Booked in Thursday for decal fitting

Thanks for checking in......

With no thanks to Euro Car Parts 😖 a "Brake service" was eventually completed today.

They managed to send two completely different rear brake discs, and also despite saying they had 2 litres of ATE Type 200 brake fluid in stock and put aside for me earlier in the week; actually didn't. (With my car on the ramp and in bits): a lot of last minute rushing around got the me another Sebro Disc and 2 litres of the higher boil point fluid i wanted; and all then duly fitted / adjusted up.

My mechanic was on his own today - so once all done; the car then got a few miles on the rollers to check all was ok:

5OJP3za.jpg

So new Sebro rear Discs, new Textar pads, complete fluid flush with ATE Type 200, handbrake adjustment along with a clean and lube of all calipers; and for cosmetics - a full set of new wheel nuts fitted and lubed up with the correct Aluminium based compound. Shouldn't need to revisit this area in the near future. Touch wood......

Monday is machine polishing day - which is being done by a local Detailing company, and my Porsche door decals, along with genuine Black rear Cayman badge and genuine stone guards are now all being fitted together on Thursday.

In between all that this week i'm also going to try to get a new oil separator fitted. It does puff occasionally [on start-up Leaving to tickover for 30 seconds before turning off seems to eradicate this trait ??] and i gather its nothing to worry over. I've also read this crankcase breather system is supposed to be changed every 3 years.....so is 'just' a service part per-se. For what it costs, and not knowing when it was last done i'm going to just get it done now.

Do i really need to use a genuine part or will aftermarket suffice: ??????

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-VAI-Crankcase-Breather-Oil-Trap-V45-0054-Top-German-Quality/401808924010

Are these like a charcoal canister or..........??? I take it they get clogged up over time and then don't do their job - allowing the puffs of smoke from oil lying in the cylinders burning off ?

Have a great weekend folks :95_v:

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 1