5mm Spacers

Ben

Hi all, need to get new wheel bolts for my 987 as they are pretty corroded, so thought I might as well look at getting spacers at the same time.  I've read lots of different opinions on the looks v handling of different widths, so wondered if I would be better off just sticking with the OEM 5mm such as that sold by Gert @ Carnewal:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/987/p96034/5-mm-Spacer-Set

Has anyone got this setup, and if so does it make a noticeable difference to looks/handling?

Any advice gratefully received! 

Cheers

5 minutes ago, jdavis8361 said:

Had 5mm spacers installed on my 987.1.  Couldn't see any difference.  The only difference I could feel was that my wallet was considerably lighter.

😁  That's what I was fearing! 

How do these cars fare with spacers on the front, pretty fat rear arches and stones being thrown up from the front onto the paintwork on the rear arches ? 

I’m sure it’s ok with only a 5mm front track-width increase - but has anyone noticed an increase in stone chips with any wider front spacers ?

What is the ‘common’ trend with spacers ? Has anyone gone like 5-8mm in the front and perhaps 10 or 12mm on the rear ?

3 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

How do these cars fare with spacers on the front, pretty fat rear arches and stones being thrown up from the front onto the paintwork on the rear arches ? 

I’m sure it’s ok with only a 5mm front track-width increase - but has anyone noticed an increase in stone chips with any wider front spacers ?

What is the ‘common’ trend with spacers ? Has anyone gone like 5-8mm in the front and perhaps 10 or 12mm on the rear ?

It seems that 7mm at the front and 15mm at the back is a common setup, looks wise at least.  Not sure of the impact on handling though?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ben said:

It seems that 7mm at the front and 15mm at the back is a common setup, looks wise at least.  Not sure of the impact on handling though?

I had 7mm front and 12mm rear for a while, looked good but I didn't like how it drove as made the car understeer as it gave the car too much rear grip over the front.

These cars drive best imo with front spacers only as this increases front track and improves turn in but doesn't look as good as rear wheels look tucked in by comparison.

Currently running 5mm all round which is a good compromise for feel and aesthetics, when on track I ditch the rear spacers to make the front more planted and the rear end a bit more mobile.

Front spacers do throw up stones also and increase chips to the rear sadly.

Edited by crafty1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ben said:

Thanks for this - kind of reaffirms what I've read elsewhere.  Thinking that I may go for the 7mm/15mm setup purely for the aesthetics, with the knowledge I can remove them if needs be for more spirited driving!

##Car will look great Ben. And when you get your geo redone afterwards, they should be able to help any changes  in handling that the wider footprint might create.

On 21/09/2019 at 09:36, Craiglm68 said:

##Car will look great Ben. And when you get your geo redone afterwards, they should be able to help any changes  in handling that the wider footprint might create.

Thanks Craig, have just ordered the 7mm + 15mm spacers plus longer bolts from Gert @ Carenwal.  Yes, coupled with the H&R lowering springs I've just ordered I will definitely need to sort out the geometry!  Thinking of having a chat with Regal Autosport in Southampton about that.  

• Like 1

ive also fitted H&R -35mm springs.. and 7mm front 15mm rear spacers. I've drove over 10k miles since fitting with no issues or tire wear.. looks just right. just how it should've left the factory , low and mean.

• Like 1

On 25/09/2019 at 08:49, Gazwaz said:

ive also fitted H&R -35mm springs.. and 7mm front 15mm rear spacers. I've drove over 10k miles since fitting with no issues or tire wear.. looks just right. just how it should've left the factory , low and mean.

Sounds good!  Could I ask if you fitted the springs yourself, or took to a garage? I'm trying to work out how much it's going to cost me in labour - estimates seem to vary wildly on the forums, from 2 to 6+ hours...! 

4 hours ago, Ben said:

Sounds good!  Could I ask if you fitted the springs yourself, or took to a garage? I'm trying to work out how much it's going to cost me in labour - estimates seem to vary wildly on the forums, from 2 to 6+ hours...! 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Unless you have access to a lift you'll be looking at 6hrs I'd say... I changed the springs on my 350z GT & it was a bit of a bitch doing it with just jacks & stands!! You'll also require decent spring compressors (3 are better than 2!!) ... I've heard that it can take longer if the rear arms are seized! ... Also a good time to inspect the top mounts... They are a known "weak" point on the Cayman I believe...

Edited by Mavrik
  • Thanks 1