Stone chips

Daz

Hi after some advise. My car is slow starting pick up small stone chips across bonnet and wings. Can these be touched in by a professional or do I need to have bonnet and wings resprayed. 

If you have the time, I have had great success with the chipex system. Costs around £45 and does a fantastic job if instructions are followed - even if you have lots of small chips.

I'll share my experience as an ex car detailer:  my car was basalt black, I did try chipex (also bought 2 extra clear coat touch up pens on eBay) and I would say it did work reasonably well to cover/fill up the stone chip marks, but I wasn't happy with the lack of gloss. 

It was a lengthy process indeed so make sure you have time on your hand.  Once all the spots had touched I did add drops of clear coat, then wet sanded and machine polished the whole bonnet for good measure.  I know not everyone has the nerves to wet sand their own car but it's relatively safe to be fair. 

If I intended to keep the car I would have re-sprayed the bonnet and wing and applied a PPF as a nice treat to a 10 years old car.

Guys thanks for the advice. I think I’ll wait until after the lockdown and get a local detailer in.

• 4 weeks later...

The chipex kits come with those little plastic sticks with small furry tip, which is excellent for touching in small chips.

If they are only small, once touched in they are a lot harder to see.

Cayman's are vulnerable as the front is so low, thats why a lot of people fit PPF,  but its a bog investment, around £1k to do the bonnet and wings, bumper.

24 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

The chipex kits come with those little plastic sticks with small furry tip, which is excellent for touching in small chips.

If they are only small, once touched in they are a lot harder to see.

Cayman's are vulnerable as the front is so low, thats why a lot of people fit PPF,  but its a bog investment, around £1k to do the bonnet and wings, bumper.

Yes, i've driven 3k miles since Jan now and its beaten up the front so much :(

Edited by jaketame

28 minutes ago, GlosRich said:

Rear arches don’t fair much better either. God knows what it must be like after widening track with spacers.....