Shifter cable snapped!

Dougle_turbo

Hi Guys,

So I was at Bedford on Saturday - second warm up lap and I snapped the brown shifter cable! Testicals!

Has anyone on here changed the cables themselves? I'm thinking I might as well get the Numeric items, as I also have the short shift kit.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Sad 2

Do you know where it snapped Doug? At the gearbox end on the actual connector, or ‘midway’ in the cable somewhere?

i would envisage getting under it on a ramp would make the running of the cable   along the top of the GBx to the connector linkages easier. 

running through the cabin, bulkhead and over the top of the engine should be quite easy. 🤔

Nice one Doug, where did your cables snap was it at the gearbox end? Also I think there was an updated bracket by Porsche to change the angle and stop it from being an issue? 

On 22/06/2020 at 21:52, Dougle_turbo said:

Okay, so this was painful - but has now been resolved. Design 911 sent me the numeric kit, and it was very impressive looking - except for the fact that it was used! The ball joints and securing nuts all had heavy wear marks.

Having watched the video above I already had concerns that the Numeric kit wouldn't work with my IPD plenum set up - and I had a trackday booked 2 days later - therefore I decided to find a set of OEM cables and just instal those.

Actually very happy with the result. The gear change feels much sharper, and smoother, there must have been a lot of play in the old cable.

For anyone considering doing the job themselves - just do it! It was very easy - especially if you're familiar with removing the centre console.

Dough, so have you sent the Numerics back or are you still willing to try them on? I'm quite curious to know if the work with the IPD in the way.....I personally will (hopefully) buy a CAE shifter, especially if you track a lot makes more sense, but of course not cheap 😭

Shocking that D911 sent you a used product - presumably under the guise of ‘new’ 🤔

Were your new OEM cables the ‘new’ type that I believe come with some additional support bracket To fit somewhere along the cable route?  I think this was to remove stress / strain from some part of the cable to reduce breakage possibility. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Windymiller

On 24/06/2020 at 21:10, crafty1 said:

Nice one Doug, where did your cables snap was it at the gearbox end? Also I think there was an updated bracket by Porsche to change the angle and stop it from being an issue? 

Yep, it was the right hand cable snapped at the gearbox end.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2020 at 21:59, Dougle_turbo said:

Yep, it was the right hand cable snapped at the gearbox end.

My car still on the original cables so when I installed the SSK I also installed these at the gearbox end to stop them popping off but I guess if the cable or the end itself breaks then not much good!

http://www.function-first.com/products/engine-trans/shifter-cable-ends

17 hours ago, GlosRich said:

You can also get these for £75:

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod133484/Gear-Shift-Cable-Security-Clamps-PORSCHE-987--Cayman/

But as crafty1 says only protects against the cable popping off, not a cable breaking.

Or £70 inc VAT and free P&P from the place they’re made in the cotswolds. 

https://www.stuttgart-classica.co.uk/water-cooledparts/gear-cable-camps

As usual Design911 sell other people’s parts / products at a premium and then have the cheek to add (another) 20% VAT, and then charge you P&P 🤨

I fitted a pair last year - 15 minutes on your back under the car on axle stands. Bit fiddly, helps if you have smaller hands 😉

Edited by Windymiller

1 hour ago, Windymiller said:

Or £70 inc VAT and free P&P from the place they’re made in the cotswolds. 

https://www.stuttgart-classica.co.uk/water-cooledparts/gear-cable-camps

As usual Design911 sell other people’s parts / products at a premium and then have the cheek to add (another) 20% VAT, and then charge you P&P 🤨

I fitted a pair last year - 15 minutes on your back under the car on axle stands. Bit fiddly, helps if you have smaller hands 😉

Yeah they're not the cheapest, sometimes even an OPC is less, especially if you have PCGB discount.

Still think £70 for 2 little metal brackets is pricey, but I guess if it stops you getting stranded.

On 10/07/2020 at 09:27, GlosRich said:

Yeah they're not the cheapest, sometimes even an OPC is less, especially if you have PCGB discount.

Still think £70 for 2 little metal brackets is pricey, but I guess if it stops you getting stranded.

I agree with you on both counts Rich 👍🏻