PDI - Porsche Design Innovations Custom parts

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andrea! I've spoken to you quite a lot on Instagram over the past months (987_percent) and loved reading here that you're using your skills for your passion as well now! I hope that everything is a great success for you, we desperately need some sensibly priced options.

Have you considered getting a patent done for that ducktail? I can see it being a big hit and it would be a shame to see someone copy it after all your hard work...as you know my Getty RS wing base has been the closest thing to a ducktail I could get hold of a few years back and I'm definitely aiming to sell that and change to your ducktail this coming year.

The 997 and 981 market would definitely be good to capture as well due to the 997 selling in much larger volumes and barely anything available for the 981. There's more competition in the market for the 997 but again prices are stupid.

Edited by Spykee

On 13/12/2020 at 12:43, Spykee said:

Have you considered getting a patent done for that ducktail? I can see it being a big hit and it would be a shame to see someone copy it after all your hard work...as you know my Getty RS wing base has been the closest thing to a ducktail I could get hold of a few years back and I'm definitely aiming to sell that and change to your ducktail this coming year.

Patents (in the UK, Europe) are granted for new and inventive technical ideas. A design (which protects the appearance of a product) would be much more suitable - and much cheaper.

While we're on the topic, for anyone who might ever want to protect their ideas: talking about it could stop you from having protection at all, if done too early. It's safest to apply for the patent/design and THEN publish it to the world.

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, eponymoose said:

Just wondering whether the wheels in this render were based on a retail product?

The look like they are inspired by the Campagnolo wheel from the 70s. I'd love a set of Campagnolo style wheels for my Cayman.

Also, are you likely to bring the .2 front inlets with LEDs to market? They're a very nice bit of design.

Thanks.

It was my modern take on the Campagnolo wheel. I later found out there is a company in the States that make something similar for 997/987 but I can't find them. I know group4 in UK makes replicas for older 911....maybe they can point in the right direction?! 

Not sure yet, that part being injection moulded would cost £££££££ to make so it's something to carefully consider...

On 09/01/2021 at 19:14, eponymoose said:

Just wondering whether the wheels in this render were based on a retail product?

eddd82_e19e7c627bd44ab7a348de1480520720~

The look like they are inspired by the Campagnolo wheel from the 70s. I'd love a set of Campagnolo style wheels for my Cayman.

Oz make a similar style wheel, obviously not totally the same.  Have them on my Cayman, see my members car thread if that helps.

On 10/01/2021 at 09:54, Andrea said:

Not sure yet, that part being injection moulded would cost £££££££ to make so it's something to carefully consider...

You could consider custom casting them, still has a tooling cost but nowhere near as expensive as injection moulding with far lower volume required to enable payback. 

1 hour ago, TritonII said:

Oz make a similar style wheel, obviously not totally the same.  Have them on my Cayman, see my members car thread if that helps.

Which model you refer to please? 

1 hour ago, TritonII said:

You could consider custom casting them, still has a tooling cost but nowhere near as expensive as injection moulding with far lower volume required to enable payback. 

Sadly numbers are so low that most likely won't justify the investment. Ducktails are selling well since they both work for gen1 and gen2 :)

4 minutes ago, TritonII said:

I am told the wheels on my car are "Oz Alleggerita HLT 5F Titanium Tech" but I am definately no expert.

Cayman 20.06.20 v1.jpg

Yes they are, but they look nothing like the Campagnolo wheel 😆

unnamed.jpg

On 15/01/2021 at 17:12, eponymoose said:

What about 3D printing and then apply some kind of finish? Maybe matte paint or even gloss paint?

Not sure what the quality of 3D printing currently is...

The problem is such parts need to withstand rain, sun, heat, all sorts of atmospheric conditions and stone chips.

One thing is doing a one off for myself, one thing is to put a product on the market that fails and ruins the business reputation......

12 hours ago, eponymoose said:

Was vaguely aware of those Augment wheels. Don't think they've got the design quite right. Plus, as far as I can tell they'd be getting on for £5k landed and VAT and duty paid in the UK.

Group 4's Campy wheels get the design dead on and go for about £250 a wheel plus VAT I think. But sadly only available up to 16 inch, I think. I might give them a ring as there was talk a while back of 17 and 18 inch versions...

Don't think they ever materialised. I'd love some 17-inch Campy wheels for my Cayman.

Group4 doesn't make them for the 987/997 platforms, reason is simple: it's impossible to make them look good/like the old Campagnolo because modern cars have positive offset where old cars have negative offset. That design/spoke shape only works with negative offset I'm afraid....

• 1 month later...

Slight tangent on this topic:

How many people have installed one of these duck tails?

...and... 🙂  Does anyone who has installed said ducktail therefore have the upper part of the rear spoiler going spare please?  987 504 619 00

I managed to stand on mine - doh! 

Any colour will do - Meteor Grey would be amazing.

Cheers,

JR

13 hours ago, Justin said:

Slight tangent on this topic:

How many people have installed one of these duck tails?

...and... 🙂  Does anyone who has installed said ducktail therefore have the upper part of the rear spoiler going spare please?  987 504 619 00

I managed to stand on mine - doh! 

Any colour will do - Meteor Grey would be amazing.

Cheers,

JR

Many sold and installed yes but I doubt people would give their oem spoiler away. They are £105 new on DeRoure or Teile....

• 2 weeks later...

How were String Theory? At some point I’d like to get a check and set up, so they would be closest to me but also heard a lot of good for Spires in Leamington and obviously further afield the well renowned Center Gravity. 

14 minutes ago, Blissya said:

How were String Theory? At some point I’d like to get a check and set up, so they would be closest to me but also heard a lot of good for Spires in Leamington and obviously further afield the well renowned Center Gravity. 

Heard good thing about Spires but I can't recommend Ben at String Theory enough! Simply an amazing person to deal with, incredibly knowledgeable about Porsche and he went above and beyond! 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...