PCGB Silverstone 24/08/20

Windymiller

Good luck, sounds good. I've only driven 3 laps of the national circuit in a Ferrari 360, on one of those experience days.

Definatley on my list when I have a bit more experience.

Is it the GP circuit or the National?

Driving Silverstone in a Cayman should be in every petrolhead's bucket list. Awesome experience.

I had the privilege of driving passenger laps for Mission Motorsport. Even though it was damp, I've rarely enjoyed driving so much as that day.

Enjoy!

18 hours ago, briggy said:

Driving Silverstone in a Cayman should be in every petrolhead's bucket list. Awesome experience.

I had the privilege of driving passenger laps for Mission Motorsport. Even though it was damp, I've rarely enjoyed driving so much as that day.

Enjoy!

I can’t wait Briggy - how did you get into driving for Mission motorsport?  Was that in your car or one of theirs?

It was through PCGB. They advertised it as a club track day and I just booked it. It was in my own car and the club had use of its own F1 pit garages. The idea was the event was heavily discounted, with the proviso that you gave passenger rides to our service men and women. As we were stopping for lunch, I had to drop someone off at the far end of the pit lane as that's where his group was. Clearly, you can't turn round, so I had to go out on my own - by that I mean no other cars on track. The whole circuit to myself!

We weren't the only club there, in fact there was McLaren Senna.

That’s a great story and experience Briggy - as ex service myself I salute you for your help to those who’ve sacrificed for their country 💂🏻‍♀️🤏🤝

it's an epic track, so much run off space, only problem is that being a longer track it takes a while to remember all the corners and braking zones etc (1st world problem admittedly). 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, peteslag said:

I can't wait for this, always wanted to do the GP circuit. Here is my attempt at taming the national circuit last year. I'll see you there @Windymiller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBqiVBuAfyw&t=21s

Nicely driven Pete, very smooth, you make it look easy 😉

be good to meet you there 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 06:35, Windymiller said:

Nicely driven Pete, very smooth, you make it look easy 😉

be good to meet you there 👍🏻

Yes, it will be good to meet you. 

Thanks for the kind words, I feel much smoother in the Cayman than any other car I've owned.  I think the car has made a huge difference, I can heal toe for the first time ever!

6 minutes ago, peteslag said:

I think the car has made a huge difference, I can heal toe for the first time ever!

likewise, it’s technique I’d never tried before in any other car, but the cayman pedals layout seem to lend themselves well to it. And I think made a little easier with the GT3 master cylinder mod as the brake pedal bit point feels ‘higher’, this aligning the pedal better with the accelerator. 👍🏻

im currently watching this video to try to gain some familiarity of the GP track lines before the day, having never driven it before - it certainly looks to be a fast circuit 😳

6 hours ago, Windymiller said:

likewise, it’s technique I’d never tried before in any other car, but the cayman pedals layout seem to lend themselves well to it. And I think made a little easier with the GT3 master cylinder mod as the brake pedal bit point feels ‘higher’, this aligning the pedal better with the accelerator. 👍🏻

im currently watching this video to try to gain some familiarity of the GP track lines before the day, having never driven it before - it certainly looks to be a fast circuit 😳

Wow,  he looks quick but that is a really aggressive approach, especially for a track day.  I'm not exactly slow but I look like "driving miss daisy" in comparison.

That GTR driver needs to book a lesson ASAP!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pete, I’m here and in garage 2A. 

They’re free to use, or you’re welcome to join me in ‘mine’ - it’s massive, so plenty of space 👍🏻

Look forward to meeting in person

Jason

Really nice to meet you Jason @Windymiller, I really enjoyed my first PCGB track day. I feel like the Cayman got it's legs properly stretched at Silverstone, it is such a fast circuit.  I got some great gopro footage today so I'll try and post it this week if I can. 

• 1 month later...