Stainless Steel Wheel Bolts

Beanoir™

• Founder

Reaching out to all the engineer types who might have a view on this.  

One part of any Porsche I've owned that pisses me off is the wheel bolts, they're just crap in the way they look unfinished when new and gradually look worse and then rust.  I was looking at buying some new bolts and came across the Design Tek ones at Design911.  The idea of a stainless bolt is great for aesthetics and longevity of the finish, but correct me if I'm wrong but I thought stainless of most grades is not suitable where there might be a high shear stress (or whatever the correct terminology is) on the bolt?  Hence why advice is normally to not use use stainless bolts on suspension components etc.  

Am I missing something?  

The other option is a set of titanium wheel bolts, they look flipping lovely...only £270.... 

The Shear strength of stainless is terrible - ref: "stretch (and promptly snap) bolt" almost. Although Porsche wheel bolt torque isn't high (relative to many applications). ***I had to have a course on a piece of machinery fairly recently to enable me to do some bolts up to between 1500 and 2000nm......

But i still just wouldn't.

Besides which. The Ti bolts do look sooo good. Not to mention all those ounces you'd save..... 🤣

• Thanks 1

Stainless steel is actually very soft and a poor use for high tensile applications. 

I like you hated the scabby wheel bolts so went with a set of titanium ones. The weight difference is staggering.

BCD76A17-ECC9-4661-8DB4-44E061B1EECC.jpeg

Edited by Frayz
Added pic of pretty hardware 🙂
  • Like 1

• Founder
3 hours ago, Frayz said:

Stainless steel is actually very soft and a poor use for high tensile applications. 

I like you hated the scabby wheel bolts so went with a set of titanium ones. The weight difference is staggering.

I never thought I’d be so taken by a bolt, but that is a thing of beauty!! 

I’m seriously tempted...

3 hours ago, Frayz said:

Oh Frayz, would you stop it with the expensive mods......... Where can I get these from, I need them in my life.

• Haha 1

• Founder
3 minutes ago, Budflicker said:

Oh Frayz, would you stop it with the expensive mods......... Where can I get these from, I need them in my life.

D911 - and a bit of OC discount ;) 

I’m sticking an order in for them tomorrow, and some RSS engine mounts, gearbox bushes, wheel spacers, and...well, some other shizzle that I can’t even remember.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Budflicker said:

ACER Racing in the US.

• Founder
8 minutes ago, Budflicker said:

Hi Nick

Nice, i think I might need some as well. 

I had a quick look but couldn't see a thread on your 996?

Tell me more???

Hey mate, 

Yes, decided I fancied a bit of a project car, something to tinker with as they say.  And never had a 911, so a bit of an experiment too! 

• Like 1