Nurburgring hot lap in the wet! 8:51.

Dougle_turbo

Absolutely wicked, well done!

On a more boring note, do you get any insurance for it, or just take a chance?

Ring is definatley on my bucket list.

3 hours ago, GlosRich said:

Absolutely wicked, well done!

On a more boring note, do you get any insurance for it, or just take a chance?

Ring is definatley on my bucket list.

Thanks! It's an awesome place. Like a mini road trip and track day rolled into one.

I insure the car with Morris for track days, 10 per year costs around £650 and they cover international circuits. (inc trackdays organised at the ring).

You can't get (I don't think) insurance for TF laps.

23 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

“...Steadeeeeeee...” 🤣🤣🤣

Lovely drop into and free of traffic line around Karussel - nicely done. 👍🏻

😅  Involuntary noises! You wouldn't believe how slippery the wet sections were, like ice!

2 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Thanks! It's an awesome place. Like a mini road trip and track day rolled into one.

I insure the car with Morris for track days, 10 per year costs around £650 and they cover international circuits. (inc trackdays organised at the ring).

You can't get (I don't think) insurance for TF laps.

Cheers for the info. I got a quote for one track day from them, £180, about 1% of the value of the car, as they say. But I guess its cheaper to have an annual policy for 10 days if you do a lot of tracking.

That was with Circuit days I guess a closed session?

Yeah the TF days sound like the wild west!

2 hours ago, GlosRich said:

Cheers for the info. I got a quote for one track day from them, £180, about 1% of the value of the car, as they say. But I guess its cheaper to have an annual policy for 10 days if you do a lot of tracking.

That was with Circuit days I guess a closed session?

Yeah the TF days sound like the wild west!

I have track day cover with A-Plan (who are amazing) and it costs £200 per year for 5 days. I don't know whether it covers international circuits but worth a look.

When I went to the ring back in 2010 we just risked it but I no longer have the courage/stupidity for that. Speaking truthfully, I'd actually be a bit scared to really push it on the ring these days - it's a pretty mad place and I've had enough tank slappers on UK tracks with plenty of run off to make me realise that I probably don't have enough talent for a fast lap of the ring (when I first went it was my first real "track experience" so I a) didn't know better and b) wasn't really pushing the car...although I didn't know that at the time).

In light of all of the above... massive respect for the lap @dougle_turbo!!

• Like 1

Manning regular car insurance includes for 10UK trackdays per annum, so long as the trackday / track is operated by an ATDO member (eg MSV, javelin etc). Your XS just increases to 10% of the insured value of the car for the trackday. 

I presume they’d charge some sort of premium to extend the cover to the Ring, and perhaps only then for a dedicated track day, not an open ‘tourist’ day 🤔🤷‍♂️

I went to the Ring in 2006 in a Mitsubishi FTO GPX and thought I was ‘givin some’ (which of course I wasn’t at all really), until a family of 4 went hurtling past me in a Merc CLS500 with the kids blissfully ignorant on gameboys in the back! 🤪

The ring is fantastic, cant wait to get back out there and get a td done with the Cayman. Its amazing how much the conditions change around the circuit, bright sun in some parts and anything from heavy fog/snow/rain in other parts, keeps you on your toes for sure.

There are some great companies out there offering all sorts of track insurance. However if you are getting into insuring for track days just be a little bit carful with the small print.

The policies that offer road cover and X track days are great value but unless something has changed on the last 12 months none of them will cover you at the ring as part of the X days.

Another major point is that if you bin it on a joint policy, it will affect your road going insurance.

what I like about Morris is that Spa and the Ring are covered, and it’s a stand alone policy. Sure it costs a little more, but it works for me. 

I should also add that as far as I’m aware no one will cover to for Armco damage at the ring. So that could get expensive quickly with a big off!

All that said, the Ring is a pretty safe place to drive around, especially on a TD. Treat it as you would a B road and it’s safer than driving on the road. Traffic is all heading in the same direction, and there aren’t any cyclists, sheep etc to hit. It’s a little different if you’re starting to push, but even then it’s a place the rewards familiarity with the track, and building speed up over time. This was my third visit, so I have done around 40 laps now (inc around 9 TF laps - different leaguer of crazy when busy!)

If you want a real riot, hire some of the Ring Swifts. A few of us did it last month, and it was hilarious fun. Highly recommended.

Needless to say, I love the place and am absolutely hooked.