Enhanced induction sound

duncan

From the small print in the 987.2 Technical Appraisal by Porsche see post in “Technical FAQ & How to” below :

. . “Air cleaner
All new Boxster and Cayman models are fitted with the same air cleaner as their previous models.
On the Boxster models only, the size and position of the opening to the Helmholz resonator (H) have been modified at the air cleaner output in the intake area for the intake system. This improves the intake noise, in particular on the "open" Boxster models with minimal intrinsic insulation from the roof construction or when driving with the top down” . . . 

And their you have it for 987.2 models: Caymans are more powerful than Boxsters, Boxsters are noisier than Caymans,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, duncan said:

From the small print in the 987.2 Technical Appraisal by Porsche see post in “Technical FAQ & How to” below :

. . “Air cleaner
All new Boxster and Cayman models are fitted with the same air cleaner as their previous models.
On the Boxster models only, the size and position of the opening to the Helmholz resonator (H) have been modified at the air cleaner output in the intake area for the intake system. This improves the intake noise, in particular on the "open" Boxster models with minimal intrinsic insulation from the roof construction or when driving with the top down” . . . 

And their you have it for 987.2 models: Caymans are more powerful than Boxsters, Boxsters are noisier than Caymans,

Interesting.

So Cayman owners, who go through the De-snork process and / or fit a panel filter - to expose a little more of the glorious flat-6 howl; therefore have the best of both Worlds you could argue.......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have really noticed how much quieter (mechanically/induction) the DFI gen 2 engine is.  I am about to order the EVOMS V-Flow.

Purely for the sound as my research indicates any power gains are purely at the top end (rarely used for street driving). It's not cheap but I really need some induction sound back...to me it's THE sound of Porsche.

• Haha 1

When I switched to a BMC filter and desnorked my 987.2 S in March this year I noticed an appreciable difference in induction noise - not so much a ‘roar’ but a distinct change for the better. 

best way I can describe it is imagine a deep and fast inhale with a hoarse throat.... 🤨😄

might be a cheaper ‘try before you buy’ (the V-flow) option if you’re just after some more sound. 🤔🤷‍♂️

no idea if any power gains, that wasn’t my intention, just wanted more aural satisfaction. Certainly doesn’t feel any slower mind. 🤪

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

When I switched to a BMC filter and desnorked my 987.2 S in March this year I noticed an appreciable difference in induction noise - not so much a ‘roar’ but a distinct change for the better. 

best way I can describe it is imagine a deep and fast inhale with a hoarse throat.... 🤨😄

might be a cheaper ‘try before you buy’ (the V-flow) option if you’re just after some more sound. 🤔🤷‍♂️

no idea if any power gains, that wasn’t my intention, just wanted more aural satisfaction. Certainly doesn’t feel any slower mind. 🤪

Can only wholeheartedly agree with every word written above..... 

**Also de-snorked and BMC user.

• 8 months later...
On 30/12/2020 at 17:41, Andyoz said:

I have really noticed how much quieter (mechanically/induction) the DFI gen 2 engine is.  I am about to order the EVOMS V-Flow.

Purely for the sound as my research indicates any power gains are purely at the top end (rarely used for street driving). It's not cheap but I really need some induction sound back...to me it's THE sound of Porsche.

Andy, how's the Evoms V-Flow?