Options for a track build - MOT requirements

I'm looking at making some quality of life changes for tracking my daily car: small-diameter steering wheel, bucket seats, driver's side harness and half cage*.

I understand MOT requirements changed in 2018 to require original safety equipment still be fitted. It sounds a lot like an airbag-less steering wheel is entirely out of the question, then, since our cars came with them.

What are your experiences with this? I'm reluctant to have a harness setup if I'm still going to have a wheel airbag installed, but the only exemptions seem to be for actual "rally" cars (not track cars).

* If anybody has suggestions for a sensible alternative to a half cage, let me have them. I don't want something that'll collapse in a flip, but I also like my rear shelf and engine access...

Are you going to be using Hans? I'd be careful about safety equipment, from the various conversations I have had, it should be either all or nothing. 

If you are using Hans then you should remove the airbag, if not, you should probably stick with the inertia reel belts and airbags

@Dougle_turbo changed his stock wheel to something more track focussed. He might be able to inform you on the implications of that on ‘nil airbag’ and MOT? 🤔

in fact his whole car is very much track focussed so worth dropping him a PM possibly and he’s a top chap just to chat with too  😊👍🏻

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Are you going to be using Hans? I'd be careful about safety equipment, from the various conversations I have had, it should be either all or nothing. 

If you are using Hans then you should remove the airbag, if not, you should probably stick with the inertia reel belts and airbags

Obviously not for road use.

On the track, yes, the goal is a full setup except for the front portion cage.

@Hunter I have a racing steering wheel, airbag removed, harnesses and half cage and no problems with passing an MOT. As long as you keep the standard seat belts you shouldn't have any issues with an MOT. 

RSS harness bar is a good alternative to half cage, easy to fit and doesn't take up any space. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jcm987 said:

@Hunter I have a racing steering wheel, airbag removed, harnesses and half cage and no problems with passing an MOT. As long as you keep the standard seat belts you shouldn't have any issues with an MOT. 

RSS harness bar is a good alternative to half cage, easy to fit and doesn't take up any space. 

Wait, so you run with harness and seatbelt together (presumably belt for road, harness for track)?

When things calm down I'm still tempted to come and see your car in the flesh!

Yep, belt for road, harness for track. Here's a picture of the harness bar location. 

I have a HANS device a new helmet on order, because harnesses without the Hans in't actually that safe. 

Sure that would be great, it will be nice to see yours going through the build process as well.