Possibly selling - modded 987.1 S

Hi All,

Just testing the water here..

( Moderators- please pull if thread not allowed here - Not a for sale add as such but an indicisive owner struggling to choose between two passions )

I'm at a crossroads whereby I really love my Cayman but having come from 10 years of hillclimbing and sprinting a single seater, I'm already  missing the thrill and rawness of a really quick and lightweight car and think i want to get on track a bit.., ( possibly against the clock ). As a result I have the itch for a quick Caterham as a road/track toy...

I don't have the space/time/cash to own two toys so if I go Caterham the Cayman will have to go ..It's a fantastic car and pretty much everything i could hope for as an all rounder but I'm really just using it for Sunday morning blasts so figure i could poss sacrifice some practicality for ultimate driving thrills and even better track suitability if I start to go there.. I'm really worried I might regret it as it's a cracker that's had a fortune spent on it to bring it to this spec and as is always the case,  I'll never get back what it owes me but more to the point, if I sell it and regret it I couldn't hope to find something as good for the same money..

The car has receipts for £30k+ of parts or mods since 2017 and owes me well over £20k since i bought it a year ago so I'd hope to see high teens for it now..It's pretty immaculate baring the odd small stone chip..

The car had been well developed by the previous owner, ( MD of a motorsport company ), and I've spent a considerable amount in the last year developing it further..Not sure I really want to do this but here's the spec..The miles really don't reflect the car as its pretty immaculate and rebuilt or new in most areas..

If you're genuinely interested and want to discuss or have a fast road spec R400 or VHPD Superlight R Caterham you might want to swap please let me know..

2006 Cayman 987.1 S

Lapis Blue

95k miles

Full PARR rebuild at 60k in x6 liners

All sus/steer component new 2017

Top gear s/s 200cel manifolds 2020

Carnewal GT exhaust

AWE stainless x tips 2020

BMC filter/desnork 2020

Chipwizards remap 2020

Aasco LWFW/Sachs clutch 2021

Low temp thermostat 2021

964 RS gearbox mounts 2021

Bigger/baffled billet sump 2021

Wavetrac limited slip diff 2021

GT3 short shift

Cobra Nogaro seats

Door cards/gaitor/wheel retrimmed

Rennline throttle pedal 2020

Sprint Booster V3 2021

KWV3 2 coil overs/custom valving

Eibach lower suspension arms

R geo set up at RPM technic

GT3 master cylinder/fluid 2020

Braided brake lines

Performance pads, ( unsure spec? )

GT3 Brake ducts 2020

718 S 19" wheels/spacers

Zunsport outer grills black 2021

Michelin PS4S 2021 ( 100 miles )

As you can see it's really well prepped and would be a great on road or track..I'd love to take it further with a Hartech 3.9, ( circa £15k ), or MNR twin turbo conversion, ( circa £7k), which would make a mega car but you could argue it's optimum as is as you get to wring it out more often..?

Feel free to drop me a line if interested..

Cheers,

Ed

Resized_IMG-20201122-WA0000_156610329873064.jpeg

8N6M2LNQ.jpg

Cayman3-2520Copy2_95667816844684.jpg

IMG_17712_96106075459909.JPEG

Edited by Edmundo2

Dear Ed,

My SLR has literally just been picked up this morning by GP Sevens who are selling it on my behalf.  It has a recent rolling road tune showing 218bhp.  I bought it from them ~18 months ago and want something more useable having scratched the Caterham itch. It's a fabulous car:

http://www.gpsevens.co.uk/portfolio-item/caterham-superlight-r-1-8-vhpd-210bhp-6-speed-2002-plaque-number-111/

I have a 1972 911 for Sunday morning blasts (owned almost 24 years).

I've been looking at Caymans to replace the SLR....

I don't know if yours would suit me.  I need a daily driver.  I tested a 2006 Caymans S on Saturday with 19inch wheels and coilovers + aftermarket exhaust (& Hartech rebuild) but the NVH in the cabin was too much to bear and I turned it down.

I'm no expert on forums and tend to consume info rather than create/contribute.  Can we talk off-line?

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

Hi David.

How strange...I'd been looking at your very car for a few days! 

Not sure if mines right for you but I personally don't find the NVH to be bad at all. Really quite civilised until you really give it the beans..

I'll send you a pm to exchange numbers..

Cheers,

Ed

Have to say that if I didn't already have my gen 2 I'd be very interested in that car.

The gen 1 engine has a very different character/noise to it that I sometimes miss.

GLWTS

Edited by Andyoz

Hi,

James- PM replied to thanks..

Andy - thanks and yes it sounds great. I had a fabulous run out a couple of days ago. Bright skies, epic roads and cold, dense air... The TT road from Helmsley to Stokesley and then across and back down The Blakey Ridge over the North York Moors. Had a friend  in tow in a 981 GTS and nothing in front of us...Sublime! If I sell it I've no doubt I'll miss it desperately but just hope that the Caterham experience is enough to make it worthwhile..🤒

I hired out a new 310R for a weekend (300 miles) it was a right blast! completely different experience to the Cayman S

On an empty background it gives you thrills the Cayman could never dream of, it's not actually that quick after 70mph but that's the beauty of it! It's all about raw driving pleasure, no frills! The car is incredibly playful, turns heads much more than a Porsche. Everybody wants to speak to you at the petrol station or in traffic, even a lot of my neighbors who rarely talk to me came out of their house to come over and chat about the car. Owning the car is an event

The cars themselves are quite flimsy but if you are mechanically minded you won't worry as everything can be fixed with a screwdriver/spanner, the roof's bracket flew off as I was trying to get the roof on before it started raining (fixed in 5mins) and one of the wipers (thankfully passenger) flew off on the motorway when i was handing the car back to Silverstone but otherwise such an incredible experience. I was expecting the dealer to kick off when I returned the car with just one wiper but she said this happens on a regular basis 🤣

I'd want one but I'd only really take it out in damp/dry conditions, it's a nuisance to drive in heavy rain. its a proper weekend/track car (not what I'd consider the Cayman to be). The one i had was only 160bhp and i did feel a little short changed after second gear on the power front, i'd want one with 200+.  If you want smiles per miles i don't think you can get much better than a Caterham / atom.

I'm considering one next but i'd only want to budget around 15-20k for one personally, i think when you start heading over to the 25-30k's the  Atom's  are there with their Type R engines and gearboxes and i'm a sucker fo them!

If you haven't made your mind up I'd contact your local Caterham OPC and ask them about their hire program, the prices are pretty reasonable especially if you just want a 1 day weekday hire

Good luck!

Guy in our Porsche drivers group here in NI has just bought a GT3 and is selling this. I don't know much about Caterhams TBH but it seems pokey as hell!

Not much use to you being in NI but just thought I'd mention it

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1341492159546687/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A311dc2f1-822d-4d79-a65e-eb156125224c

Hi Sarlech..

Thanks for the comments. I've grown up around 7's so fairly familiar with them. I have fond memories of riding shotgun in my Dad's Westfield SE as a kid. It was basic but with a Mountune built crossflow on big webbers which sounded great. 200 bhp looks like a sweet spot so I'll be aiming around there. Duratec on RBTB or VHPD K both of interest but prob have max £23k ish if I get the right money for mine..

As mentioned previously I'd been hillclimbing a single seater prior to buying the Cayman and it was great fun. My thinking is a quick 7 will potentially allow me to enjoy some track time gain with more focus/ability than the Cayman and with lower risk/costs but also provide just as much fun on B road blasts which is what I'm actually doing most of the time. Obviously Covid has limited opportunities to attend events and use the Cayman as I intended but in hindsight I suspect any toy I have will spend much more of its time doing short blats vs longer runs ). Caterham are grim in the wet or on motorways but I'd avoid that where possible anyway.. 

The down side is the practicality is not as good if ever I want to travel further and of course I'll always miss the sound, balance, look, character, quality of the Cayman. The thing is I've developed the car to be a great all rounder on road or track and it is absolutely that, ( I've not had it on track but it's prepped suitably and it's performance suggests it will be great ).However I've come to realise that I possibly don't need an all rounder! I planned to drive to watch some motorsport as a replacement for competing and figured I could enjoy the Cayman as a means of travelling to such events..In reality I've had a season out, ( transpires everyone has ! ), and I'm missing being on track and whilst I still want to spectate I have a nice new 330e that is good transport. If I want to do some track stuff then a Caterham is even more focussed so begs the question - why not..

The only reason I'm hesitant is just because the Cayman is so lovely..If I had the space and slightly more in the kitty I'd be keeping it and adding the Caterham as a third car but I don't so if I want to scratch the itch the Cayman will reluctantly have to go.. Tragic but I realise I'm very lucky to own either and life is short ..

In retrospect I should possibly not have spent so much on the Cayman so quickly but it's created a cracking car and I've enjoyed it and glad it exists.

I'm going out as a passenger in a 200bhp K series Caterham on the 18th just to check i haven't lost my marbles. My suspicion is i'll come to the same conclusion. They are both epic but if you have the luxury of another car for transport and will therefore just be heading out for Sunday blasts, trackdays and poss want to enter the odd sprint again etc then the Caterham is the best choice..

If that's the case and I'm certain then I'll advertise the Cayman properly..

Andy - Thanks for the heads up but that Caterham is poss a bit too highly strung for my needs just now..

Cheers,

Ed

• 1 month later...
  • Founder

Cheers Ed, I’m sure you’ll love the Caterham (as you already know), I still maintain it’s the most fun I’ve ever had in a car - one day. 

I’m sure I’m not the only one here that would love to see the new arrival! 

😎

13 minutes ago, Beanoir™ said:

Cheers Ed, I’m sure you’ll love the Caterham (as you already know), I still maintain it’s the most fun I’ve ever had in a car - one day. 

😎

Sure no probs. Stands to reason that most Cayman owners will like the notion of a Caterham as both are about driving purity...I'll post something up here as and when. Cheers 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edmundo2 said:

Just a quick note to say my car sold today. A sad day as I really loved it but it had to go to make way for a Caterham. I hope the new owner enjoys it...

Thanks to all on here that gave me advice and tips. 

I may be back in the fold some day as other than a Caterham there's very little for sub £50k that interests me...

Cheers and happy motoring,

Ed

Well done 

I'd actually shared it with a few lads I know. Seemed a VERY fair buy to me!!!

12 hours ago, Beanoir™ said:

😎

I second this, would be keen to see it!

Very keen to get into a Caterham at some point, will need a garage first though, it pains me enough leaving my Cayman on the street, but I don't think it's really an option with a Caterham! (at least not to me)

44 minutes ago, wtaite01 said:

Very keen to get into a Caterham at some point, will need a garage first though, it pains me enough leaving my Cayman on the street, but I don't think it's really an option with a Caterham! (at least not to me)

44 minutes ago, wtaite01 said:

Yes this was my dilemma.. The Cayman finished up my perfect spec but I've always wanted a Caterham as they offer something no other car can. If I had the space and a few more quid I'd have kept it but theres only room for one toy so needs must. First world problems I know but a tough decision non the less..

• Like 1