Track day towing strap

Has anyone fitted these to their cars for a trackday? Are the metal eye ones with a bolt ok or am I better with a strap. Only trouble with a strap I guess is that the mounting plate has to be external to the bumper.

Whenever I have done trackdays I've just put in the std tow eye and all is well, no complaints. The only thing you may want to consider is whether you want to fit tow eyes front AND back since you can never know which end will be buried in the tyre wall 🤐

4 minutes ago, Masher said:

Whenever I have done trackdays I've just put in the std tow eye and all is well, no complaints. The only thing you may want to consider is whether you want to fit tow eyes front AND back since you can never know which end will be buried in the tyre wall 🤐

But I don’t think there’s a rear towing eye anchor point on the rear to screw to... 🤔

MSV site says front and rear required. There are similar orifices at each end covered by a circular plastic bung.

2 hours ago, Masher said:

Just shows what happens when you let 911 owners loose on a Cayman forum 😳

I will correct myself. Just been out to look and there’s the pop-out disc next to the rear number plate behind which you can screw in the towing eye 👍🏻

2 hours ago, andygo said:

MSV site says front and rear required. There are similar orifices at each end covered by a circular plastic bung.

I’ve only ever fitted the standard toolkit towing eye into the front anchor point on the MSV tracks I’ve been to (brands, Cadwell, oulton, Bedford) and never been picked up by them for it. 

I would hope that if they needed to tow me out from the rear they’d at least give me 2 minutes to swap the eye from front to rear before just hooking up to my rear subframe to drag me out... 🤔😯🤷‍♂️

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224089837510

Ordered one of these, got to look the part!

Prolly going to swap cars partway through as my wife fancies a go in her Mini Cooper S with coilovers and JCW 4 pots before moving on to the porker to thrash that.

Typically the Mini tow eye bolt is also some weird thread so cant swap tow stuff from car to car. Trying to find somethingto fit that is becoming a PITA.

Edited by andygo

When we went to Spa, Nordschleife and Nurburgring F1 in my Golf 7.5R i mounted the GoPro on a section of plastic plumbing pipe drilled to fit the headrest 'prongs' , one on each seat. Worked really well. I'm thinking of using the little rail behind the cayman seats for the trackday. Or maybe sellotaping the go pro to my forehead.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, andygo said:

When we went to Spa, Nordschleife and Nurburgring F1 in my Golf 7.5R i mounted the GoPro on a section of plastic plumbing pipe drilled to fit the headrest 'prongs' , one on each seat. Worked really well. I'm thinking of using the little rail behind the cayman seats for the trackday. Or maybe sellotaping the go pro to my forehead.

There was a guy on ebay selling GoPro mounts specifically for the Cayman rail thing. I assume it would be fairly easy to fabricate yourself but it depends whether you can be bothered.

I keep thinking about buying a Go Pro but them remind myself that a) I don't need to be reminded about my failing as a driver on track and b) my wife would relentlessly take the piss out of me for wanting to record my trackdays (she already likes to tell people that my hobby is "driving round and round in circles")

It's quite nice to have the video to look at afterwards. Get your wife to drive, she'll not take the mick again.

Just now, andygo said:

It's quite nice to have the video to look at afterwards. Get your wife to drive, she'll not take the mick again.

She won't even come in the Cayman because it "makes her feel sick."

Which GoPro do you have? I quite like the idea of givng it a go but probably not enough to invest much money in it. When I looked previously, it seemed as though they started from about £300. Is that about right or do people tend to use other makes these days?

19 minutes ago, andygo said:

Use an Olfi camera. All the fitting are interchangeable with a GoPro. Quality is really good, 4k.

Couple of vanity clips below, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1073944399372274

Which one do you have? The white or the black model? 

Black. Its 3 years old now. Been used a lot on a single seater race car and still looks and works 100%, despite it's harsh environment with a lot of vibration etc.

On 18/05/2021 at 14:05, andygo said:

Black. Its 3 years old now. Been used a lot on a single seater race car and still looks and works 100%, despite it's harsh environment with a lot of vibration etc.

On your advice, I've ordered an olfi black and a mount for the luggage bar. I have quite a few trackdays over the summer so looking forwards to making my wife and kids relive the fun with me

How much did that cost you?

I have found a self adhesive mount in my bag of bits that I might have a go at sticking onto the plastic trim in front of the luggage bar. It's actuallythe same way it was mounted onto the cockpit side of the Formula Ford I linked to earlier. To be fair, until I had a look into my Cayman a few mins ago i  didn't twig about the plastic trim and self adhesive mount. I might fiddle about with some other parts in my bag of bits as I would rather the camera is screwed to something rather than stuck on!

One thing I did when I used it 'in Car' was to connect it to the ciggy lighter so it was powered on all the time and no worries about the battery charge. I use a 128 GB Sandidk Ultra high speed micro Sd card so have plety of storage for the day, although I backed it up every now and again to my lappy.

You'll have great fun with the camera, you can mount it on bike handlebars or just use it as a video camera instead of your phone. I'm sure you will get your moneys worth.

IMG_9940.JPG

IMG_9941.JPG

Edited by andygo

I paid 105 quid for one off ebay. It was opened but everything inside was still in the sealed packages and so I thought it was worth the gamble. 

I'm planning to secure it to the luggage bar and see how that works. 

Looking forward to giving it a go and boring my friends and family with my footage

Edited by Lennym1984

17 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

I paid 105 quid for one off ebay. It was opened but everything inside was still in the sealed packages and so I thought it was worth the gamble. 

I'm planning to secure it to the luggage bar and see how that works. 

Looking forward to giving it a go and boring my friends and family with my footage

Bargain!