need advice please on 987.1 3,4

sham

hi everyone im going to look at a 2008 cayman s monday, well i hope i can with this petrol shortage going on. its guards red and its up for 25995 with 44k  at brookspeed.  sorry im having trouble putting the link to the car on here,  i know its a little overpriced but i dont mind paying a little more for the right car,  but this bore scoring is a little worrying,  they told me its all been checked and it is fine but i would like some advice from you guys.  what percentage of cars did have bore probs, does anyone know?  

Sorry but £5 off of £26k for a gen1 S is ridiculous imo...

It would need to be absolutely mint mint mint with a FULL  Porsche History & best spec...

Even if they "guaranteed" zero borescore it would still be wayyyy over priced...

https://www.brookspeed.com/used/cars/porsche/cayman/24v-s-213

Edited by Mavrik

Yeah, that's insane. I knew Brookspeed were expensive, but I'd never consider over £20k for a gen1, regardless of spec and mileage. In fact, 44,000 miles on a 13 year old car worries me more than 80,000 would.

Here's a grey gen 2 for cheaper, at a less worrying 75,000 miles in 12 years. Okay, it's a private seller, but there's a comparatively tiny set of engine problems you need to be worried about. It's all of a mile away from the one you're considering seeing.

Alternatively, there is a dealer-sold guards red gen 2 being sold for not much more, lower mileage but PDK and located near Oxford.

5 hours ago, sham said:

hi everyone im going to look at a 2008 cayman s monday, well i hope i can with this petrol shortage going on. its guards red and its up for 25995 with 44k  at brookspeed.  sorry im having trouble putting the link to the car on here,  i know its a little overpriced but i dont mind paying a little more for the right car,  but this bore scoring is a little worrying,  they told me its all been checked and it is fine but i would like some advice from you guys.  what percentage of cars did have bore probs, does anyone know?  

Forget the imitation, get the real deal

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109267811029

1 hour ago, sham said:

wow nice, is this the same car someone on here bought last year, im sure i saw it somewhere when i was looking through older post.

Ginginho bought an orange one recently. As he says, along with his thats about all there is in the country of that model. Very rare. Thats the one to get at your budget. as it'll always command a premium and sought after, but most importantly I bet its a fantastic driving experience. Only one thing to consider with some of the Gen 1 era models is the annual tax is more expensive than you'd perhaps anticipated for. 

I should clarify that, when I was talking about two examples, I was referring to Guards Red. I think I've posted this before maybe but these are the numbers according to the DoT:

The colour breakdowns are as follows.     On The Road:     BLACK                                8  GREEN                               1  MULTICOLOURED           2  ORANGE                           18  RED                                    1  SILVER/ALUMINIUM      7  WHITE                               18    

SORN’d vehicles:   BLACK                                2  ORANGE                           8  RED                                    1  SILVER/ALUMINIUM      1  WHITE                               4

Wow, I had to read your post twice to make sure that the 2008 wasn't a typo and that you were actually looking at a gen 2.  https://www.brookspeed.com/used/cars/porsche/cayman/24v-s-213

Not sure what's so 'high' about the options.  I guess it has full leather but not even the full Sports Seats.  Is there even PSE?

I can only assume in this market dealers are hoping some realise that the difference between a gen1 and 2 aren't subtle.

9 hours ago, Ginginho said:

I should clarify that, when I was talking about two examples, I was referring to Guards Red. I think I've posted this before maybe but these are the numbers according to the DoT:

The colour breakdowns are as follows.     On The Road:     BLACK                                8  GREEN                               1  MULTICOLOURED           2  ORANGE                           18  RED                                    1  SILVER/ALUMINIUM      7  WHITE                               18    

SORN’d vehicles:   BLACK                                2  ORANGE                           8  RED                                    1  SILVER/ALUMINIUM      1  WHITE                               4

thats good going, how do you ascertain the colour breakdown may I ask?

1 hour ago, Julian987 said:

thats good going, how do you ascertain the colour breakdown may I ask?

There is a means of submitting a question to the statistics people at the Department of Transport. I can't remember if I found a form online or just an email address. I think the latter. I can confirm if you were thinking of doing something similar.

7 hours ago, Andyoz said:

Wow, I had to read your post twice to make sure that the 2008 wasn't a typo and that you were actually looking at a gen 2.  https://www.brookspeed.com/used/cars/porsche/cayman/24v-s-213

Not sure what's so 'high' about the options.  I guess it has full leather but not even the full Sports Seats.  Is there even PSE?

I can only assume in this market dealers are hoping some realise that the difference between a gen1 and 2 aren't subtle.

it is expensive mate, but im worried if i wait the prices are gonna carry on rising, ive snoozed and lost because i did not pull the trigger on a few in the last 12 months,  i was waiting for a certain trader to get one in which never happened.  

12 minutes ago, sham said:

it is expensive mate, but im worried if i wait the prices are gonna carry on rising, ive snoozed and lost because i did not pull the trigger on a few in the last 12 months,  i was waiting for a certain trader to get one in which never happened.  

it is simply too expensive. £26K for a Gen 1 is Gen 2 money. 

Offer £27 on this, which is not a huge step up from where you are at

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/12197503

Extended leather, Bose, Cruise, tons of options, metallic paint, its nicer all round. With a good detail, lower it in stance, and some choice rims you'd have a lovely Gen 2 there.

or as I say that Sport S Orange one.

And there was me thinking that asking £18k for my CS on a 56plate with 61k miles was at the top end and just had wheels refered and detailed lol with  FSH.

Dean

Edited by FLAT STICK

1 hour ago, FLAT STICK said:

And there was me thinking that asking £18k for my CS on a 56plate with 61k miles was at the top end and just had wheels refered and detailed lol with  FSH.

Dean

It is top end. that dealer gen 1 car price is crazy.

2 hours ago, sham said:

I think things have plateaued and the craziness will die away a bit. 

As soon as you start to think the way you, it's a sign that we're in a mini bubble...FOMO...fear of missing out drives so many markets for a while.

Don't underestimate the cost of tax for a gen 1S at £560 versus £330 for gen 2S. I know it's easy to think you won't care about that but it is a factor now and definitely into the future if governments really start ratcheting up car tax.

Also, a gen 2 engine is a good bit different to a gen 1. More tuneable for a start. They just rev up faster etc. The whole bore score/IMS thing is only part of a bigger story. 

Edited by Andyoz

7 hours ago, Andyoz said:

I think things have plateaued and the craziness will die away a bit.

Don't underestimate the cost of tax for a gen 1S at £560 versus £330 for gen 2S. I know it's easy to think you won't care about that but it is a factor now and definitely into the future if governments really start ratcheting up car tax.

I agree with your sentiment that things have plateaued; although I haven't really been paying close attention since my purchase last month, those cars with huge asking prices were on the market for a good while. The winter will see prices fall further too IMO.

Road tax on a Gen 1S is £585 btw!