Hello from Essex

Porschaholic

Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first post. Hello!

Looks like a great forum with loads of good information. I'm not yet a Cayman owner, but have wanted one for ages. I've finally decided to take the plunge. For me, I am torn between the following options...

1. Buy a 987.1 Cayman S manual with my savings.

2. Buy a 987.2 Cayman S manual and borrow an extra £10K.

3. Buy a 981 Cayman S manual and borrow £20K

I test drove a 981 yesterday and loved it. I have yet to try either of the 987s, but I'm looking forward to seeing how much better the steering feel will be (it felt pretty good in the 981 to be fair).

Hopefully, one day soon I'll be an owner. 

Sonny

Hi Sonny, and welcome! Sounds like you've started the journey already; test driving! Drive heaps ( and I mean LOTS...it's a great hobby!) of cars, try the different models, engine sizes and transmissions....see what works for you. The more modern the model, the better re performance, fit out, equipment etc....except for the point that 911 fans often opt for older models for a variety of reasons....same may apply one day re Caymans?! You'll have no doubt done your research re the different generations and any potential risks (I did the same...and bought a Cayman S happily, almost 5yrs in, a few mods, and still grinning), caveat emptor and all that. If you've no qualms about borrowing money, it's probably a coin toss b/w the 987 gen 2 and 981, but all are excellent in their own rights. Happy test driving, and keep asking questions.

Hi Sonny - welcome!

It's a pretty common topic and depends on a few things. Besides personal preference (you should definitely drive some 987's!): your priorities, your risk appetite and your budget.

The 987.2 and 981 have the same series of engine (MA1), which is generally seen as very reliable (and trackable, if that's of interest). It's also marginally more powerful than the 987.1's M97. The 981 benefits from a significantly more modern fit-out and electronics, though some criticise its steering feel. The 987 seems next-in-line to be brought under Porsche's "classic" labelling... whether that makes a real difference to anything, I don't know.

The 987.1 has, as I'm sure you've heard, some potential engine issues. These seem to be particularly prevalent in tracked cars (especially with sticky tyres), seemingly to do with oiling issues. That said, issues are still somewhat rare: there are plenty of cars over 100,000 miles and plenty of cars that are tracked (with varying degrees of modification - check out jcm987's build thread).

I've had a 987.1 for a little over a year, if you have any particular questions :) 

Hi Sonny,

I've had a 987.2 for coming up to a year. Good car. My only advice - which is advice to myself really - is go for the car that is a steal, a bargain, the one that is going for a great price, because that gives you more options in the future. In particular one'll have no fear of selling. If you buy a car without getting a bargain, however great it is and however happy you are with it, you have this knowledge that when it comes to selling it's gonna hurt. You might even hold a car longer than you want because of this problem.

In my case I bought an excellent car at I guess around market price but I've since noticed that savvy and careful people take a lot of care, and wait, to grab a bargain. For instance a chap of my acquaintance got a Cayman GT4 for a great price. This put him in such a great position. He could either keep the car or sell it, both with a smile. If you buy an expensive car and pay expensive for it then you've cornered yourself, you're up the creek without a paddle. . . 

best Ed