A longer overdue introduction and an untimely exit

Hunter

Can't blame anyone for having a plan! 

Car looks lovely though, but having something for track sounds like fun. 

From the two you have mentioned I would go for the MX5 all day long, rear wheel drive will be a much better driver on the track, you'll learn much more about how far things can be pushed and still be in the rear drive world the Caymen was/is.

MX5's have a HUGE amount of aftermarket track parts and companies that supply for them and are very easy to work on, plus being an NA engine you have to actually drive the thing rather than waiting for the glob of turbo to throw you down the next straight. 

1 hour ago, Andy said:

From the two you have mentioned I would go for the MX5 all day long, rear wheel drive will be a much better driver on the track, you'll learn much more about how far things can be pushed and still be in the rear drive world the Caymen was/is.

MX5's have a HUGE amount of aftermarket track parts and companies that supply for them and are very easy to work on, plus being an NA engine you have to actually drive the thing rather than waiting for the glob of turbo to throw you down the next straight. 

Having just tested an MX5, I completely agree with you. Even compared to the fancier mk3 TTS I tested some time ago, the MX5 wins out for drivability.

That said, there is convenience to consider. I can't justify a second car, so a little boot space could be nice (I have a bike for my short commute if I bin it on track). Likewise, TT track builds do look fantastic ...but there's so much extra work getting it doing what I want: forcing the AWD system to behave and give me a balanced/rear bias, first of all.

Rest assured I'll check back in when I've a) sold the Cayman and b) pulled my thumb out and decided on a car. Perhaps I'll join you and your Focus in the darker corners of the forum.

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy a TT specifically for track days. They're not particularly sharp drivers and compared to a Cayman they'll feel very dull. Have you thought about a Megane RS or a Civic/Integra type R? Both are FWD but are pretty epic on track and offer a good degree of practicality on the road.

My friend had an Integra Type R (a DC5 I think) track car (rose jointed etc) and I was amazed at how well it handled.

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

I wouldn't buy a TT specifically for track days. They're not particularly sharp drivers and compared to a Cayman they'll feel very dull. Have you thought about a Megane RS or a Civic/Integra type R? Both are FWD but are pretty epic on track and offer a good degree of practicality on the road.

My friend had an Integra Type R (a DC5 I think) track car (rose jointed etc) and I was amazed at how well it handled.

The TT would certainly require some work, though that's part of the fun - how many MK2 TT's do you see at track days? Though I imagine improving the TT's handling will be a far deeper rabbit hole than adding power to the MX5.

As for the hatchbacks, really, I'm just being unreasonable. I prefer the aesthetics of the hairdresser cars (and frankly, don't want to be bundled with the Civic Type R crowd that run round here). That said, I've seen first-hand how insanely fast the Megane RS is, so if I ever needed a four-door, that'd be on the list.

On 13/11/2021 at 10:46, Ginginho said:

10 hours ago, Hunter said:

how many MK2 TT's do you see at track days? 

Almost none. In the past two years, I think I've seen three. On the other hand, I've lost count of the number of MX5s I've seen.

The TT is a lovely car (I drove one of the first press cars when the MK2 TT came out) but its not renowned for its handling. I'm sure it would be possible to make it fast round a circuit but I don't think it will be all that fun. 

How about a GT86? The interior is a bit naff but they're nice to drive

2 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Almost none. In the past two years, I think I've seen three. On the other hand, I've lost count of the number of MX5s I've seen.

The TT is a lovely car (I drove one of the first press cars when the MK2 TT came out) but its not renowned for its handling. I'm sure it would be possible to make it fast round a circuit but I don't think it will be all that fun. 

How about a GT86? The interior is a bit naff but they're nice to drive

Exactly: a bit more exclusive/special. But yes, not as much of a workhorse as a MX5. A bit like the 'ring: there's a reason you see a lot of Porsches.

I seriously considered the GT86, but they're going for similar money to the Cayman I'm selling. Better mileage and maintainance but, since I'm looking to put some money away for the next oil burner, not an option right now.

23 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Buy my 987.2 S in May next year - a perfect start point for a ‘daily track toy’. 😉

she hasn’t put a foot wrong for me after ~20 track days 2018-21 👍🏻

Deal!

... you'll take 2010 MX-5 money, right?

• Haha 1