Coffin arm and bushes replaced

Neil_jdmr

I was in my indy getting 2 rear tyres and they were offering a complimentary 4 wheel alignment that day so i obviously took up that offer.

I was surprised to hear my rear coffin arm bushes were delamination to the metal. This would affect the alignment process so chose to have the parts replaced to allow proper alignment. 

I'm surprised these bushes needed attention after only 30k miles. 

What brand coffin arms had you fitted (that lasted 30k miles)?  What have you replaced them with?

my rears (MEYLE HD - fitted in 2017 @4?k miles) needed replacing last year @68k miles (again with MEYLE HD). But they had done about 20 track days in those 4 years… 🤷‍♂️

The arms that were removed were oe originals from factory.  They had covered 30k without any evidence of track time. 

They had however covered 30k road miles 26k which are unknown.  

The new fitted ones are porsche replacements done again by my indy. As to the actual manufacturer.  No idea tbh.

I have had a few polybushed track cars and also removed poly to return to oem rubber bushes in my rx7 as they were awful. 

I just was interested to know if 30k was a reasonable lifespan 

I think 30mins low for OE from factory, however, it’s a polymer, which will degrade over time and weathering as well as miles. So if they were the original ones from factory on a 987 they were at least 10years old now so pretty reasonable that they’re time had come…  

• Like 1

On 08/04/2022 at 14:25, Windymiller said:

my rears (MEYLE HD - fitted in 2017 @4?k miles) needed replacing last year @68k miles (again with MEYLE HD). But they had done about 20 track days in those 4 years… 

Which element had failed? The bushes or the balljoint? 

23 hours ago, Windymiller said:

I think 30mins low for OE from factory, however, it’s a polymer, which will degrade over time and weathering as well as miles. So if they were the original ones from factory on a 987 they were at least 10years old now so pretty reasonable that they’re time had come…  

Its a MY2014 981.

On 10/04/2022 at 16:12, Lennym1984 said:

Which element had failed? The bushes or the balljoint? 

The bushes had degraded / deformed. Which I find surprising as the Meyle HD bushes have a higher ‘shore rating’ (engineering measure of resistance to deformation under load) than Porsche OE ones. 

On 10/04/2022 at 17:24, Neil_jdmr said:

Its a MY2014 981.

Ah ha - my error. But that’s still 8years of ‘weathering’ and I think time eventually has a deteriorating effect on all polymers unfortunately, regardless of miles / usage. 🤷‍♂️

I'm happy its been spotted and replaced and the whole alignment done.  Rubber parts i think are more susceptible to lack of use as much as heavy use.