Reactions towards Porsche drivers?

Red5

As a former BMW 1-Series owner, I'd been used to virtual anonymity on the roads! The little 1er was way faster than the GTS, but totally below the radar visually, which I used to like a lot!

There was often a reluctance of other drivers to change lanes and feeling of 'Typical BMW' attitudes from time to time. 

I was a tiny bit worried about rolling a little more overtly in a red GTS! 

However, after 6 months experience, it seems I needen't have given it a second thought :)

In the GTS I seem to be able to make better progress if anything! People let me out so they can have a look, but also, as they must presume they won't be held up by the red Porsche :)

A few blokes in other enthusiast motors have nodded or given a thumbs up and kids often utter an unguarded 'Wow' or similar, so I always give them a wave, blip etc.

Some folk do drive up quite closely behind in traffic to see what it is, but then seem to drop well back. Very different to before! 

I've not noticed if any women / girls ever notice, as I'm NEVER EVER looking, so wouldn't notice even if they had eyes on stalks :$xD

The only negative comment I've received, was actually from a woman, who was struggling to park in front of me and felt I was grudging her harshly lol! (I secretly was) 

Having never owned an car of this type before, I'm pleasantly surprised!

Have any of you ever noticed a change of attitude, either positive or negative in any way? 

I had some complete pillock in a petrol station in Essex a few weeks back take offense to me choosing a pump whilst he was sitting his old Mondeo hedging his bets waiting for all 6 pumps.  He was literally hanging out of his car window shouting at me across the forecourt whilst I was filling up, I got the usual 'cheap Porsche, not a 911' and 'what's that mate, just a 50 grand motor?' And then finished it off with 'I've got a 911 turbo, cost twice what your hairdressers car did mate' - it was an absolute flawless performance I have to say, so much so I was laughing my head off throughout, as was much of the rest of the forecourt.  

1 minute ago, PhilCS said:

I had some complete pillock in a petrol station in Essex a few weeks back take offense to me choosing a pump whilst he was sitting his old Mondeo hedging his bets waiting for all 6 pumps.  He was literally hanging out of his car window shouting at me across the forecourt whilst I was filling up, I got the usual 'cheap Porsche, not a 911' and 'what's that mate, just a 50 grand motor?' And then finished it off with 'I've got a 911 turbo, cost twice what your hairdressers car did mate' - it was an absolute flawless performance I have to say, so much so I was laughing my head off throughout, as was much of the rest of the forecourt.  

How unfortunate!

....for him :rofl:

I'd be surprised to hear someone call a Cayman a "hairdresser's car". A Boxster perhaps, but I find mostly that joe public doesn't know what the Cayman is, especially de-badged. They're not that common I guess.

I get the same "close following" but not sure why people do it. To see what it is maybe, or just because it's a beautiful looker. Nobody has tried to race me away from the lights in 5 months of ownership. What IS under the "bonnet" they may be asking themselves?

I wave and/or flash at every other Porsche (well, not Cayennes for some reason) and most respond. But none seem to wave or flash me first? Too pompous? Not used to it? Who knows!

All my clients love it, and make the usual "earning too much" comments. I just say "well, I AM the boss."

I have always found that other cars follow really closely behind. When I'm out in my van it's completely different.

At 1st I thought it was the mirrors making things look closer but it's not they actually do drive right up to the back of the Porsche for some reason :(

Oh... and I had a brand new GR Boxster courtesy car yesterday. Made me feel a little uncomfortable when putting petrol in it at Sainsburys (Super UL).

Managed not to get any comments though.

(Boy did it DRONE at constant speed!! PSE on OR off! 1600 - 3000 RPM)

10 hours ago, DJMC said:

I wave and/or flash at every other Porsche (well, not Cayennes for some reason) and most respond. But none seem to wave or flash me first? Too pompous? Not used to it? Who knows!

Is it generally considered to be a good thing to wave at other Porsches or is it a bit naff? I've never waved/flashed and no-ones waved/flashed at me either, it makes me feel as though I'm being rude if I don't acknowledge seeing another Porsche especially if it's a Cayman.

As a Cayman owner I'm sure it would be bad form to wave to a Boxster, and I can't help feeling that the owners of the rear engined Porsches would just sneer at the 'poverty' Porsche owner trying to be a member of the pack.

10 hours ago, PhilCS said:

What's a GR Boxster? 

If I said you had a BB Cayman and I had a CR Cayman, would the penny drop? :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twopointnine said:

Is it generally considered to be a good thing to wave at other Porsches or is it a bit naff? I've never waved/flashed and no-ones waved/flashed at me either, it makes me feel as though I'm being rude if I don't acknowledge seeing another Porsche especially if it's a Cayman.

As a Cayman owner I'm sure it would be bad form to wave to a Boxster, and I can't help feeling that the owners of the rear engined Porsches would just sneer at the 'poverty' Porsche owner trying to be a member of the pack.

I don't mind the waving thing, but I don't expect the average status car / Porsche buyer to know what's going on!

To some, the PDK soft top Porka is just the next step on their MX5, SLK journey >:(

I might wave if I spotted another red Cayman, but not all the time! 

Strangely enough I got my first proper thumbs up from someone driving the other way on Saturday when we were out and about! I thought it was a Nissan of some sort but my wife thought it was a Porsche and I only glimpsed them as they drove by. 

Later we parked up having something to eat when another Cayman drew up and made a point of parking next to ours, he got out and gave a little look of satisfaction having two Caymans next to each other :D It was at Malthouse Emporium Antiques near Stroud just in case it was anyone here ?

On the way back from the SS, another Porsche waved, but I was too late spotting him and didn't have time to wave back. :Smilies_Sad_Cry:

With my daily driver being a 2002 Leon Cupra, I tend not to wave at anyone.... I'm generally trying to work out what the new rattle is :sAng_banghead:

• Like 1

ive had a few porsche drivers wave at me but defo not the Cayenne. best one was a 356 near me. the porsche  dose turn some heads thou and gets lots of pics taken of it. so cant be that bad owing a porsche   

I drove 100miles in a Ford Connect today. I was needing to make decent progress, but boy, people really do not want to let a van pass them! Horrible experience! The van was actually OK to drive though xD

In a red Cayman, it's mostly like riding a motorbike, in that people just want you to get past and bugger off into the distance asap! 

Great drive out yesterday criss-crossing most of Hampshire.

Saw plenty of other people doing the same and had a few waves and thumbs up from other Porches :)

I was pulling out of work today when a guy who works at the same place but on a higher pay grade noticed me and turns and said " their paying you to much " my reply was no, I'm divorced and happy. 

• 5 weeks later...

Generally I get very positive comments and thumbs up etc, especially on a garage forecourt, often getting a nice car mate comment. Have noticed a different perception from others depending on whether i'm in my classic 911 or the R. I can take more liberties overtaking in the old one whereas if I do the same in the R, I get the annoyed 'flash git' looks sometimes.

Pleased to see the R gets the same admiration from pedestrians/other road users as the old 911 though. :)

Very occasionally I see a look of complete hatred from some scumbag in his beaten up hatchback/sad car but then hes probably one of lifes losers who hasn't worked his nuts off to earn his pride and joy. But you will always get envy.