Door locking opening issue - FIXED, then UNFIXED... :-(

futureechos

Hi, have an odd but hopefully recognisable issue.

Car is locked, pulling handle on driver’s side dips the window but door remains locked.

Unlock with remote, but drivers door remains locked. Window still dips.

If I unlock with key turning to front of car the driver’s door unlocks and I can open

From inside I notice when driving that the auto lock feature isn’t working, the red ‘locked’ light that comes on when doors auto lock, (the key button top middle of dash).

I can’t open the drivers door from inside unless I press the key button to unlock.

at least I think that’s what allowed me to open it.

I presume a sensor issue?

any ideas?

diy job?

thanks!

Edited by futureechos

18 hours ago, Ben said:

Might be a silly idea, but have you tried disconnecting then reconnecting the battery, to see if that resets anything?  

I was thinking about it - but not done as yet.

I read there are several microswitches in the door to ascertain position/state..  still thinking if one of those is dodgy..

Very odd that in locked state pulling the handle causes the window to dip - the door is locked but the mechanism/sensor thinks it is unlocked.  

The window dips with the first part of the handle motion. With a working door you can observe this by barely pulling the handle, the window will dip but you won't engage the mechanism to open the door. Sounds like the car thinks it's unlocked (hence the window dipping) but not actually opening the door.

Does it open from the inside?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, yuffyhaggo said:

The window dips with the first part of the handle motion. With a working door you can observe this by barely pulling the handle, the window will dip but you won't engage the mechanism to open the door. Sounds like the car thinks it's unlocked (hence the window dipping) but not actually opening the door.

Does it open from the inside?

Nope, (well not consistently) I used central locking button on dash and it opened once, but does not appear to now.  I can lean out of window and open with key whilst still in the car..!

Edited by futureechos

• futureechos changed the title to Door locking opening issue - FIXED
2 minutes ago, futureechos said:

Just for future ref - this fixed it!!!  Thanks Ben.

Was scouring for info related to this but 5 mins off Battery and fault was fixed.

I also learned - When you remove Battery and reattach on first start you get "PSM Failure".

Oh 💩 🤦‍♂️

Slightly worrying until 2 minute google found this is normal. Started and drove for 30 seconds and it self fixed, I think needs some steering input and other sensors and its all good.

Happy Bunny. 🙂

There are so many electronic components in cars these days, they're a bit like computers, always worth trying switching them off and on again! 

And yes the PSM light is normal, a slow drive with a few movements of the steering wheel resets it. 

Glad it's sorted! 

• Like 1

• futureechos changed the title to Door locking opening issue - FIXED, then UNFIXED... :-(

These Cars are power hungry, its worth a try, worked for me in a previous non Porsche Car, as soon as I replaced the Battery the similar central locking issue was fixed.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Montana said:

These Cars are power hungry, its worth a try, worked for me in a previous non Porsche Car, as soon as I replaced the Battery the similar central locking issue was fixed.

Showing 11.49 volts with engine off..  Looking like battery.

Its a Porsche battery but at 12 Years old this cant be original.

Any recommendations for replacement battery - I'll have a search now myself too.

5 hours ago, futureechos said:

Anyone have experience of this:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/enduroline/110/ 

Enduroline batteries are good.  I haven't had an issue with the couple I've bought.

As a side note: I would double check any replacement's height against the OEM battery as you don't want something that will foul the cover.

Edited by Aaron
  • Thanks 1

Tayna are good to buy from, have been using them for years.

Remember to charge the new Battery up overnight before fitting, despite what all the suppliers state, they are not fully charged on delivery.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ben said:

Have you checked for any error codes? That might save some time in trying to diagnose. 

I only have a basic £20 generic code reader, nothing Porsche specific but I'll give that a go - thanks.

Hi,

Sorry if it has already been said (I couldn't be bothered to read all of the replies) but I would be 99% confident that the issue is with your door lock module. The microswitches can fail and send all sorts of strange signals to the door. This was an issue with the old 986 and it persists with the 987 (both of mine have been done within the past 5 years).

The modules aren't expensive but don't cheap out too much.

They are not particularly hard to replace but if you need further convincing and can bring the car to Oxfordshire, I can show you on my Porsche scanner.

45 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Hi,

Sorry if it has already been said (I couldn't be bothered to read all of the replies) but I would be 99% confident that the issue is with your door lock module. The microswitches can fail and send all sorts of strange signals to the door. This was an issue with the old 986 and it persists with the 987 (both of mine have been done within the past 5 years).

The modules aren't expensive but don't cheap out too much.

They are not particularly hard to replace but if you need further convincing and can bring the car to Oxfordshire, I can show you on my Porsche scanner.

Thanks Lennym1984 - Appreciate the offer.

You reminded me in Jan 2022 the door was fixed under warranty for the window drop issue where it doesn't stay down when you open the door.. same door.

I'm not sure if the door lock module was replaced as part of this but being only 1 year old I guess not.

I assume all the microswitches are part of the door module?

Out of warranty now of course.