Hose water filter for rinsing- anyone used it??

• Administrators

I've seen the results of these before, they work.  If you're in to your car detailing and searching for the perfect finish then i'd recommend them. 

I've just had a warm water outside tap fitted. Softened water, but not filtered.

...actually, it's for washing the dogs after a walk. But useful for the car shampoo bucket too.

And no... they don't go in the Cayman. That's what an Audi A3 Sportback is for!

Thats a novel idea, I have never thought to have a hot tap outside, but relatively simple in terms of plumbing when you think about it...I wonder if my jet wash can take a hot water feed without melting...:sCh_reader:

1 hour ago, Grant78 said:

Thats a novel idea, I have never thought to have a hot tap outside, but relatively simple in terms of plumbing when you think about it...I wonder if my jet wash can take a hot water feed without melting...:sCh_reader:

It's not a hot feed, it's a warm feed. Similar to these: http://www.pegleryorkshire.co.uk/EN/Brands/Prestex/Mixing_Valves

I guess you could have hot and cold, but for dog washing it needs to be one tap with a hose and spray which it hand hot. Just happened to be perfect for car washing too.

I'm loving the idea of a warm tap outside... why haven't I thought of that before!!! 

It would be really easy to do too! 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

I'm loving the idea of a warm tap outside... why haven't I thought of that before!!! 

It would be really easy to do too! 

My parents have a hot tap outside, makes it easier as you don't have to carry a bucket of washer through the house.

I live in a flat so will have to live with carrying the buckets downstairs

• 1 month later...

I've got into the habit now of rinsing as I shampoo. I wash an area (roof, front, side etc) and immediately rinse with the hose. Leaves no residue and the whole car is still wet enough to chamois afterwards for a "no mark" finish.

Tried micro fibre, but the traditional chamois is still the best I find.

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 20:41, gmtsteve said:

I've used the Aquagleam for a while now. It's okay. Much better than untreated water, but you still get some marking if you don't microfibre it too. I've just got a proper warm air dryer. Much better. You don't need touch the paintwork at all.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/metro-vac-air-force-blaster-cat5.html

I've seen these, but not having a power outlet nearby makes things like these difficult as I would have to run a really long extension lead.

Do these filter the air first?

I have to run a long extension too. Bit of a pain, but works okay. Yes the air is filtered and the motor warms the air too. I used to use a leaf blower, which was okay, but this is much better. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2016 at 15:13, gmtsteve said:

I have to run a long extension too. Bit of a pain, but works okay. Yes the air is filtered and the motor warms the air too. I used to use a leaf blower, which was okay, but this is much better. 

Has anyone tried using dishwasher rinse agent.

I heard that can be used for rinsing cars off when mixed with clean water

10 hours ago, magic8080 said:

Having spend good money on a great car I am inclined only to use tried and tested products on it. This definitely sounds like an idea to try on a hire car before using it on your own :ph34r:

11 hours ago, magic8080 said:

OMG, WHY would you do that!!!

I strongly suggest you don't do that, nor use washing up liquid to wash the car with, as this damages the paint over time.

Who told you this would be a good idea and why- would it stop your dinner sticking to the bonnet? :-D

12 hours ago, magic8080 said:

I remember my mum bought dishwashing powder instead of washing powder once by mistake. Got my clothes super clean but noticed when my underpants disintegrated.

Cheers mum.

• Like 1

• Founder

I don't think he means the actual detergent, just the rinse aid - but still I'm not entirely sure what's in it.  

Using collected rain water is the cheapest and easiest way to ensure you don't have unwanted residue or hard water deposits when rinsing your car, provided your collecting recpetical doesn't collect other debris.  

1 hour ago, Beanoir said:

I don't think he means the actual detergent, just the rinse aid - but still I'm not entirely sure what's in it.  

Using collected rain water is the cheapest and easiest way to ensure you don't have unwanted residue or hard water deposits when rinsing your car, provided your collecting recpetical doesn't collect other debris.  

I understand rinse agent - not scrubbing detergent.

I prefer to use bottled distilled water gently warmed to 27.5 degrees sprayed onto the car by a topless model... or the hose.

I do use a drying/ dewatering spray that is sprayed onto the wet car and then dried with the microfiber towel in the usual way

2 hours ago, richjar said:

I understand rinse agent - not scrubbing detergent.

I prefer to use bottled distilled water gently warmed to 27.5 degrees sprayed onto the car by a topless model... or the hose.

I do use a drying/ dewatering spray that is sprayed onto the wet car and then dried with the microfiber towel in the usual way

I dry my car using an otter, gives an excellent result. Also very cute.

(on a serious point, never owned a silver car before. looked filthy within about 10 days of being parked out front in London)