• Founder

So I've decided my CR really is missing a sports exhaust, and going to treat myself for Christmas.. 

I've considered the Carnewal route but I think I'd like to stick with the OEM route.  

Has as anybody retrofitted PSE to their CR? Price wise I'm guessing it's c.£2k? 

One thing that I'm worried about is making sure that if I take it into my OPC that it's the CR sports exhaust rather than a standard Cayman sports exhaust, am I worrying unnecessarily?? 

• Founder
On 29 November 2015 at 14:02:29, Webdunk said:

From what I've read, OPC will not retrofit CR PSE. Carnewal will retrofit OEM CR PSE if you want.

So they do fit PSE but they don't fit the button in the dash you get a key fob instead, not sure if I like that idea - fussy! 

This is trickier than I thought it would be...  

Some 981 Cayman owners report PSE either booms or there's not that much difference. Most say they love it.

Not taken much notice of CR owners' posts about PSE, sorry.

Have you experienced an identical car to yours with PSE fitted?

Someone here had 981 PSE retro-fitted for £1500 at an OPC, so I'd have thought yours would be that at most? Haggle!!

• Founder

I've not heard people complain about boom on the 987 so hopefully it's ok...  

Unfortunately i've not driven an R with PSE, those I looked at when I got mine didn't have it fitted, and there aren't many about either so might struggle.  The problem with OPC is they won't fit PSE to an R as a retrofit, annoyingly, so it would mean sourcing the parts from Porsche and getting an Indy to fit, then back to Porsche to have them code the ECU to make the PSE button on the dash work, thats the score as far as I can work out anyway.  

The hunt continues...  

6 hours ago, Webdunk said:

I've read some comments around boom on the 987 but not my experienve - I've got the PSE on mine and am very happy with it.

Is that specifically exhaust boom, or the boom related to the boot cavity? 

Some spirited driving today on empty A & B roads and my standard exhaust and whatever other "whizzing around" noises are going on all sounds great, even with the windows shut. But it's down to what each individual wants? Maybe they made the 981 2.7 a little louder than the 987 as standard?

• Founder

Not sure whether a 981 is more throaty than a 987 or not, but the R is a bit more so than a standard 987 S, here's mine at the moment. 

and from inside the car...

Edited by Beanoir
  • Like 1

• Founder
2 hours ago, SpannerMan said:

That 997 GT3 sounds fruity!! Great video where is that? 

Sharkwerks pipe on the GT3, sounded immense in the tunnels.  That video was ascending Stelvio :D

On 04/12/2015, 18:33:37, Uncle Dave said:

Is that specifically exhaust boom, or the boom related to the boot cavity? 

I have been mercifully unaffected by either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

Ok, so I got some 'help' from Porsche this week, they offered me 2 'approved' ways of fitting PSE to the CR 

1) they will sell me the correct Cayman R PSE parts required, but the Mufflers and bits will cost in the region of £2,300, this doesn't include the switch, the electrics or the fitting and programming required!  The catch here is that an OPC will NOT fit the parts, only supply... Or

2) if I want them to fit and warrant, then they will fit the Cayman S PSE to my Cayman R, all parts required including switch and fitting for £2,079!  I was quite amazed they'd fit what is essentially a downgraded exhaust and still warrant it.  

I spoke to the guys at Paragon and they suggested the best route sounded to them like the Carnewal route, so I'll order the exhaust and have Paragon fit it I think.  

PITA!! 

I am in exactly the same predicament as you Beanoir!  Since owning the R I have craved a sportier exhaust sound. It has a reasonably meatier sound than an S as stock but after hearing a GTS with the PSE, I realised how much I am missing out.  The R sounds great from inside of the cabin because of the induction roar right behind your ears but  got to say when I start it up in the morning it just sounds like a tractor from outside  :(  A sports car should always sound like a sportscar!

Its a blinking R it should have PSE as standard equipment, but that's Porsche for you. Ridiculous also regarding their retro fit options! No way I would pay £2k to have a lesser spec 'S' system put on the car, very odd they only offer that upgrade to an R.

Bit like you, I am very tempted by the Carnewal option but I wanted the factory PSE button and mapping to use it to keep it all genuine(ish). Tough call.

• Like 1

I got to say.... I've got PSE on mine and I wouldn't pay to have it if I didn't. The difference is not that great TBH. If you want a raunchy exhaust then the Carnewal would be the way to go but then you risk black flags on track days and grumpy neighbours too, and I also wonder if it detracts from the cars value in UK market.

• Like 1

I have a carnewal catback on my 987.1 s and it is awesome. Just the right balance of sound and volume. I had mine fitted at gerts place and he explained it took a lot of work to get it really right, 6 months work in fact. He is an engineer iirc and has shedloads of knowledge on all thngs porsche. I am sure he would be happy to advise you re options and i would be surprised if he couldnt do whatever you wanted either oem or his exhaust (he supplies porsche parts...) including any recoding needed. I also checked before fittng mine whether it would pass track day tests and concensus was yes. Gert mentioned that fitting the front 200 cell sprts cats would increase volume by about another 25 pct, too much for me.

Edited by PR36
  • Like 1

• Founder

Gert does actually supply the CR PSE but instead of a switch in the car it's on a key fob...possible option, but i'm swayed towards his GT exhaust if it growls a bit more!