2 hours ago, PR36 said:

I have a carnewal catback on my 987.1 s and it is awesome. Just the right balance of sound and volume. I had mine fitted at gerts place and he explained it took a lot of work to get it really right, 6 months work in fact. He is an engineer iirc and has shedloads of knowledge on all thngs porsche. I am sure he would be happy to advise you re options and i would be surprised if he couldnt do whatever you wanted either oem or his exhaust (he supplies porsche parts...) including any recoding needed. I also checked before fittng mine whether it would pass track day tests and concensus was yes. Gert mentioned that fitting the front 200 cell sprts cats would increase volume by about another 25 pct, too much for me.

Many cars pass the static track day/competition noise check but an increasing number of tracks use drive by tests situated at a couple of points around the track (Usually where you are under hard acceleration with full induction noise too) This is where most cars are getting black flagged now. 

9 hours ago, Andy Fagan said:

Many cars pass the static track day/competition noise check but an increasing number of tracks use drive by tests situated at a couple of points around the track (Usually where you are under hard acceleration with full induction noise too) This is where most cars are getting black flagged now. 

Thats interesting, i do countless trackdays on my fireblade all across the country and i found the opposite is true. Ie lots of riders are passing the static test and removing there baffle and not pinging the meters. Perhaps cars are different. Anyway if you just do the carnewal rear section it isnt massively loud and on youtube search for cayman snetterton and there is a chaps video running with a carnewal. In the comments someone asks about the noise test and he mentions it was fine.

• Founder
On 18 December 2015 at 11:11, DJMC said:

How about... something invented 60 years ago?:

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US2791630

You could then adjust the treble, bass, etc and also the volume, to your hearts desire!

Isn't that what they use these days in modern cars?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3 December 2015 at 20:08, Beanoir said:

I've not heard people complain about boom on the 987 so hopefully it's ok...  

Unfortunately i've not driven an R with PSE, those I looked at when I got mine didn't have it fitted, and there aren't many about either so might struggle.  The problem with OPC is they won't fit PSE to an R as a retrofit, annoyingly, so it would mean sourcing the parts from Porsche and getting an Indy to fit, then back to Porsche to have them code the ECU to make the PSE button on the dash work, thats the score as far as I can work out anyway.  

The hunt continues...  

Ok  A couple of things? How is the Cayman R PSE different?  

Are you coming on Sunday? You can hear mine if you are..

• Founder
1 hour ago, Red Square Images said:

Ok  A couple of things? How is the Cayman R PSE different?  

Are you coming on Sunday? You can hear mine if you are..

Well, the R exhausts are 55mm rather than 48mm on the S, so the diameter basically is different at some point, what affect that has on the sound/performance though is anyones guess! 

I'll certainly be there on Sunday, looking forward to meeting you sir! :) 

what system did you order Beanoir?

My dilemna increased a few days after posting in this thread, when I had an empty basement carpark to drive away late one evening, and with my window down to wave to a mate the car sounded great resonating through the car park, so I am once again pondering if its actually worth me laying out a lot of money on something for marginal gain in sound  :-/

• Founder

So PSE update:  

I decided after speaking to the useless numpties in my local OPC that on the advice of an expert in the field I should talk directly to Porsche Germany about the apparent lack of interest in the OPCs retrofitting the R exhaust.  It turns out that this isn't true and that an OPC will and should fit an R PSE system including any additional parts required, dash button etc.  The example used was that if my car had PSE and was faulty under warranty then the OPC would have to replace the R PSE - so they can do it.  

Armed with this info I went back to my local OPC, explained the conversation i'd had with Porsche Germany and the example used.  They went away and I received a phonemail this morning from the centre manager firstly apologising and offering to undertake the PSE retrofit with the correct R parts that they he offered to order directly from Germany.   They also confirmed that provided the R PSE parts were new and supplied by Porsche or an authorised seller then Porsche warranty will be unaffected and cover the new installed parts. 

Ending the saga of 'can an OPC retrofit the correct sized CR PSE with dash button'  

However, after hearing difference on a few cars i've decided to return my CR PSE parts, as they just don't sound that great and hardly a difference over standard.  Side by side with a Carnewal confirmed that this is by far and away the best choice and sounds much throatier and more like a 997 GT3 exhaust.    

I have spoken at length to Gert at Carnewal and he will order some new CR standard exhausts from Germany and convert those himself :)  

Nice, think that's the route I would take. Are you driving out there for the fitment?

Look forward to your before and after reviews (and videos ;-) )

• Founder

No Gert is sending it over, I didn't want to drive back with my old exhaust sitting on the passenger seat.  Paragon are going to do the fitting for me.  

I cant wait, quite excited about it!! I'll be sure to do some video! 

So so do you think you'll be getting one soon? 

I don't think I have ever owned a sporty car where I haven't changed the exhaust system! so be surprised if I don't for the R. Still think it sucks that an OPC cannot retro fit the correct PSE to an R, seems bonkers really. Did they explain why they will only offer an 'S'  pse system?

Will see how you get on with your retrofit at Paragon and may well go the same route.

2 minutes ago, MJ said:

I don't think I have ever owned a sporty car where I haven't changed the exhaust system!

Have you looked into other options for the Cayman? IPE, Remus Titanium and Miltek have all caught my eye. There seem to be real performance gains to be had from tweaking the breathing on these cars.

• Founder
On 07/01/2016 at 13:39, MJ said:

I don't think I have ever owned a sporty car where I haven't changed the exhaust system! so be surprised if I don't for the R. Still think it sucks that an OPC cannot retro fit the correct PSE to an R, seems bonkers really. Did they explain why they will only offer an 'S'  pse system?

Will see how you get on with your retrofit at Paragon and may well go the same route.

Apparently OPC will retrofit the R PSE but there was never a specific workshop manual issued, it only covers retrofit of the S PSE.  I have no idea what the difference in practice is but doubt there can be any really, very irritating. 

• Founder
18 hours ago, Webdunk said:

Have you looked into other options for the Cayman? IPE, Remus Titanium and Miltek have all caught my eye. There seem to be real performance gains to be had from tweaking the breathing on these cars.

Isn't the main gain from changing the headers though rather than just the mufflers? 

Gains seem to be on offer from plenums, sports cats, cat removal, headers in the 10-20bhp range and sub 10bhp for the rest of the exhaust. A good combination of these elements and a map seems to have the potential to hit 370bhp.

How have insurers reacted to a proposed change to a non-Porsche exhaust system?

Premiums stayed the same? Easy to get them to accept 3rd party parts?

o.O

2 minutes ago, DJMC said:

How have insurers reacted to a proposed change to a non-Porsche exhaust system?

Premiums stayed the same? Easy to get them to accept 3rd party parts?

I've had a Miltek and an Magnex on previous cars. They were easily insured as a minor modification as their performance enhancing potential was pretty limited. I would assume the story would be the same for a Porsche.