House Self Build

• Founder

So we're looking to embark on a self build for our next house.  We currently live in a converted barn which has fantastic views and lots of interesting features, however it also has its down sides and so we'd like to build something from scratch to suit ourselves.  

I'm completely new to anything having never built more than a 'space station'  from old cardboard boxes, however my dad is relatively well qualified to advise on the actual build and project management.  

E73E4E31-27DB-4706-857C-1FB35504DD39_zps

It's the first steps however that I'm intrigued about, so many questions, like can you call the local planners and have normal conversations with them? How do you find a piece of land and know if it will get PP or is it trial and error? Do you try and draw the house yourself and ask an architect to turn it into something of substance or take a Potton type of ready designed house... 

Went to the Self Build centre in Swindon today which was interesting but absolutely nobody on hand to talk to which was weird I thought, it was practically empty! 

Anybody here undertaken a self build project?

I've never done a self build, but like the idea. With regard to getting permission, or even having a discussion with planners, then this can vary from council to council. Wiltshire planners were unwilling to discuss anything without receiving an 'outline' application and fee whereas my local borough council provide a 'duty officer' service where you can go for an informal chat with planners.

Some areas are classed as 'designated countryside' where getting planning permission can be difficult but 'he who dares wins' and in my area I've seen several cases of people buying land to set-up agricultural/equestrian businesses and then applying for permission for a mobile home and eventually a 4+ bedroom house.

These days I think a lot of people use planning professionals to submit their application and deal with the planning authorities.

Good luck, I hope it goes well, it will be great to design and build your own house.

• Like 1

• Founder
12 hours ago, twopointnine said:

Some areas are classed as 'designated countryside' where getting planning permission can be difficult but 'he who dares wins' and in my area I've seen several cases of people buying land to set-up agricultural/equestrian businesses and then applying for permission for a mobile home and eventually a 4+ bedroom house.

Yes we live in a Conservation Area, so planning requires a few more rules and permitted developments don't apply either as i understand.  Still, I spoke to a local builder this morning from our village and he seems to think that Bedfordshire Council are approving more developments than ever before mainly due to some kind of requirement to build a certain number of homes in the area.  

8 hours ago, DJMC said:

I used to work with a chap who has now gone into land consultancy. If I were going to build and look for a plot I'd speak to him first and maybe employ him to find a suitable plot. I've just asked a mutual friend for his contact details and will pass them on if they arrive. He's based in the Midlands but I'm fairly sure would be able to find a plot anywhere. With, I'd guess, 40+ years in the business he'd be an ideal sounding board.

We looked at Potton many years ago and liked the wood frame idea, and some of their standard designs. I'd also look at eco heating systems but be wary as I hear some aren't as efficient at they claim.

PS. I start my "mini" self-build project week after next. Wood framed, double glazed...

I hope you're incorporating some eco-friendly tech into that, perhaps a small bio-mass piece of kit??  

36 minutes ago, Beanoir said:

Yes we live in a Conservation Area, so planning requires a few more rules and permitted developments don't apply either as i understand.  Still, I spoke to a local builder this morning from our village and he seems to think that Bedfordshire Council are approving more developments than ever before mainly due to some kind of requirement to build a certain number of homes in the area.  

I hope you're incorporating some eco-friendly tech into that, perhaps a small bio-mass piece of kit??  

Solar lighting - does that count?

Land chap has replied...

"Good morning.

Yes I’m very well & still at it, but on a much reduced basis these days.

My tentacles don’t reach that far, I’m afraid as I tend to work on sites within say 25 miles of home base in leafy Redditch.

Self build is very difficult because there are not many single plots on the market at any time, and those that are are often over priced or have ‘imperfections’ - hence being marketed. The good plots rarely come to the market, only the resulting new build from small builders who often spend time on Google Earth identifying plots then making approaches to owners in order to try to buy on a subject to planning basis.

My advice is to spend some time trawling the local independent agents as the nationals do not have the expertise to deal successfully with single plots - as I know only too well from my time with Scarfo’s mob. I remember Bob & Vick looking to buy two plots for their own occupation & failing in spite of their positions.

It would be worthwhile visiting, or checking on line, the planning departments of the target areas to see what applications have been made & making contact directly with either the owner or the developer - although that can be frustrating too!

Sorry to be a tad negative, but dream plots are a little like hen’s teeth!

Take care & kind regards,

Paul."

(Bob & Vick were high up in a national estate agency.)

Edited by DJMC
  • Like 1

• Founder

Cheers David, that's interesting advice actually.  Local builder here said its hard particularly where we live to find plots suitable for what we need, said it would be easier to buy a house and knock it down and start again... $$$$

16 hours ago, Beanoir said:

... it would be easier to buy a house and knock it down and start again... $$$$

People are doing just that in my area, they are paying £350k + for bungalows which they then demolish and replace with a new build property.

Local Authorities will tend to have planning documents that will out-line some of what you can and can't do, like where you live now, a conservation area. You will find the restrictions are many and there will be no wiggle room on them which can result in costly implications for a project. 

I've spoken several times with local councils, having written to them with providing some information and a rough sketch drawing of proposed plans, I've always received an answer of some sort to confirm what information they would need or the next steps. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a delay in delivery, arrived Thursday, but house now built. Just the floor to lay and then exterior wood preserver and top coat. Oh... and then the path - granite sett edging with "seashore" pebble infill...

20160815_142821.jpg

Edited by DJMC
  • Like 1