Hello

dunny

Hello, I am Dunny.  Been around cars my whole life, went through a midlife crisis and bought a car I didn't really need and I still don't use properly.  The car in question is a 987.1 Cayman S in black with beige interior, manual gearbox etc.  All jokes aside, I love it but I do feel like I need to use it more appropriately, so I'm planning on some long drives out with likeminded firends (fellow Caymanists are welcome to join in) and a trip to the Nurburgring soon, plus some slightly more local track days.  And that's it.

Hi Dunny, sounds good - I think a few people fall into the trap of owning a nice car that doesn't get used often enough so good luck with redressing that!

Got any pictures of the car?

Sounds a lovely car, welcome :) 

A few people have mentioned the NC500 in Scotland as a good road trip recently, might be worth considering? I saw some photos on here of people who've done the trip.  

:welcome:

...is that TO the Nurburgring or ON it? Having watched the videos where lots of lovely cars get wrecked by unsuspecting drivers I'd steer well clear personally!

You may have noticed we meet up monthly-ish, so keep an eye on that section: http://www.caymanoc.com/forum/22-caymanoc-meets-other-events/

I'm in that category (48 - how did that happen?!). Live in London and only used at the weekend, I'd like to do a few adventures and cant wait to get it on track.

1 hour ago, DJMC said:

:welcome:

...is that TO the Nurburgring or ON it? Having watched the videos where lots of lovely cars get wrecked by unsuspecting drivers I'd steer well clear personally!

You may have noticed we meet up monthly-ish, so keep an eye on that section: http://www.caymanoc.com/forum/22-caymanoc-meets-other-events/

I'll drive ON it, I'm not driving all that way just to watch everyone else have all the fun.  If I crash, I crash, I don't really care.  I'm not going to be going full chat, I'm not that experienced and my car isn't a P1 so I have nothing to prove, it's just the experience of wringing its neck within my own limits in relative safety that appeals.  I could write the car off on the commute, it is what it is and I don't really worry about things like that.

It was actually the monthly meet that brought me to the forums, looking forward to popping along to a couple!

• Like 1

Welcome along Danny, the formation for the next meet will be posted soon :)

Very true, a car could be smashed up on the trip to the supermarket or on a track just the same! Most of the crashes I've seen on the ring are either race teams or people overcooking it in the corners.  Knowing that nothing is coming the opposite direction and knowing  your own limits would make the Nurburgring a great place to go. 

• Founder

Hi Dunny, 

My Cayman is a weekend and holiday car these days, the previous one was a daily driver though.  

I've done 3 memorable road trips so far: 

- a week in the Alps with Petrolhead.Tours which was a amazing, lots of fun on that trip.  The roads were stunning, the views were breathtaking and the company was great.  I'm booked onto the same tour again next year, can't wait!  Contact Pete Osborne if you're interested but worth checking their website/Facebook page. http://petrolhead.tours 

- north Wales, again a Petrolhead.Tours trip for a weekend and went along with a friend of mine also.  

- cross-country route to Le Mans.  Avoiding the motorways and taking a day to navigate the French countryside, found some good roads and a nice village to stop for lunch.  

Hopefull there will be many more :) 

• Like 1

France is definitely one to do, I really want to go to Monaco.  Ideally for the F1 one day, but I think going on a none F1 weekend would be a good idea too so I can take it all in

3 hours ago, dunny said:

France is definitely one to do, I really want to go to Monaco.  Ideally for the F1 one day, but I think going on a none F1 weekend would be a good idea too so I can take it all in

Go the weekend / week before the F1  , its great to see the build up.  

I recommend Le Mans, having done it for the past 2 years. Overnight "cruise" from Hull to  Zeebrugge with excellent dinner and a few glasses of wine, then off the boat after breakfast, onto the first toll motorway with "bip and go" tag and in Le Mans square sipping beer for the drivers' parade by 3 pm.

The trend seems to be to sticker up your exotic car, or old banger, to look like a race car and impress the photographers who wait by the toll booths (or were they police??) to see you roar away. I managed to blow the exhaust studs apart on the first trip, so it sounded like a race car all weekend:4fvgdaq_th:I haven't had the bottle to get all the stickers yet though, maybe next year...

I used Select Motor Racing for tickets and accommodation, also used them for F1 at Silverstone this year. Good value.