Any 987.2 Cayman S Black Edition in UK

Hunty

Hi all!  

I'm looking to change my current car (gen1 987) and i'd like a gen2 car, but ideally i'd like the black edition, I know they only made 500 cars worldwide, but my question is were any of these UK cars exported, as I can't seem to find any for sale over here...  

I'm pretty sure they did make them for the UK market, how many though I'm not entirely sure.  

GenII cars are difficult enough to find, let alone narrowing it down to a GenII LE model, got your work cut out! 

There were one or two about when I was looking for mine a year and a bit ago. You just need to be patient and then equipped to move very quickly if a car which tickles you pops onto the market.

• Founder

yep, 500 made.  No idea how may made it to the UK, but that makes it even harder to find than a CR.  

However, they made a lovely promotional video....   :Smilies_Characters_Spiderman3:

• 2 weeks later...

So I had an appointment to see this one today, and for one reasoner another I had to cancel.  

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/cayman/porsche-cayman-3-4-s-pdk-black-edition-2dr/4580300

However, it's got me thinking a bit about the price, i've suddenly thought are they really worth this kind of money??  £40k...  I could get an Cayman R for that! 

You can see where i'm going with this now right... 

Perversely, the reason I bought it is because it's NOT an R.  :huhsign:

I had the option of the R at the same time as I bought the BE.  I loved it that the BE was a bit rarer, it didn't have a bare bones interior (Bose, Porsche Crest Head rests, Nav, Climate, Cruise etc), and it has the Engine of the R for a little more go and quite a bit of noise from the Sports Exhaust (which is lovely).  I also wanted a manual car so I could actually feel the car - PDK (for me) just numbs the experience - bit everyone has their own preferences.  I know the R has the better suspension, and feels more planted, but for me (as it was my daily driver at the time) it was a bit compromised for the roads I travel on.  I know the R is amazing, and part of me would like one, but actually the BE has everything I wanted, and still does.

Also I love it that my car doesn't stand out on the road - yes people notice it, but it's not too flashy. Plus it's frickin' quick in a straight line and around the twisties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beanoir said:

Strange question....Do the BE have 18 or 19" wheels?  

19" Spyder alloy wheels, the same as the Cayman R and the Boxster Spyder. I think they were the lightest wheels in the Porsche range at the time, and that's the reason Porsche fitted them to the R and the Spyder. The ride on non-PASM suspension can be a little jiggly sometimes...

• 4 weeks later...

#257 is in (Swiss-resident) British hands since last October. PASM but not Sports exhaust. The Cayman R exhaust is loud enough for me.
If I really want to annoy the neighbours I get out my 2001 Ducati 748R, complete with straight-though Termignonis :D

IMG_1668.JPG

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. I live in a small village nestled amongst the Genevan vineyards about 15kms from the city centre, here since 1999.

Similar to Mr Bingles above I deliberately went for a Black Edition instead of the R version. In my case it was I wanted PDK so that Mrs B would be happier driving it, and PASM such that on the bumpy country roads here in Switzerland (and especially in the neighbouring Jura mountains in France) I wouldn't lose my fillings. Also the only R cars I found for sale were manuals, had either high kilometres, horrendously garish interiors or were distinctly lacking in options. Or all of the above o.O

This one was first registered in January 2013 (so has the Swiss Porsche 2+2 guarantee until Dec 2017), looks and smells like new with only 24'000 kms on the clock. The combination of the 330hp engine, R-style exhaust, Sport Chrono Plus, black stealth looks, plus the comfort of full leather dash, satnav, cruise-control, PASM, etc made it a good choice for me. I did put a set of 18" BBS Himalaya wheels and winter tyres on it in case of getting caught in the snow, but it has not been out often since the wet and cold arrived here in mid December. I'd say roll on spring, but I've only just got the skis out :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Michael_B said:

Thanks for the welcome. I live in a small village nestled amongst the Genevan vineyards about 15kms from the city centre, here since 1999.

Future venue for one of our meet ups maybe? Do they do bacon butties out there?

;)

Welcome!

• Like 1

On 13 January 2016 at 17:10, Michael_B said:

Hi,

Similar to Mr Bingles above I deliberately went for a Black Edition instead of the R version. In my case it was I wanted PDK so that Mrs B would be happier driving it, and PASM such that on the bumpy country roads here in Switzerland (and especially in the neighbouring Jura mountains in France) I wouldn't lose my fillings. Also the only R cars I found for sale were manuals, had either high kilometres, horrendously garish interiors or were distinctly lacking in options. Or all of the above o.O

This one was first registered in January 2013 (so has the Swiss Porsche 2+2 guarantee until Dec 2017), looks and smells like new with only 24'000 kms on the clock. The combination of the 330hp engine, R-style exhaust, Sport Chrono Plus, black stealth looks, plus the comfort of full leather dash, satnav, cruise-control, PASM, etc made it a good choice for me. I did put a set of 18" BBS Himalaya wheels and winter tyres on it in case of getting caught in the snow, but it has not been out often since the wet and cold arrived here in mid December. I'd say roll on spring, but I've only just got the skis out :)

Is there a BE register anywhere?  Be interesting to know where they all live etc.