ragtop lurker!

huytonman

Hi Keith and welcome. I understand why you'd keep looking in here as you're subconsciously longing for a Cayman! 

Was one of your previous models a Cayman? Which one?

Sealed away!! How very sad. Ah well, I guess that's what convertibles are for...

...no, wait a minute I had rag tops for 15 years as daily drivers!!

Are you of the "nice car in the garage... crap runabout" brigade? I do hate that.

Please tell us your daily is an RS6 or V12V or similar, then I could maybe understand it?

4 hours ago, DJMC said:

Sealed away!! How very sad. Ah well, I guess that's what convertibles are for...

...no, wait a minute I had rag tops for 15 years as daily drivers!!

Are you of the "nice car in the garage... crap runabout" brigade? I do hate that.

Please tell us your daily is an RS6 or V12V or similar, then I could maybe understand it?

Dude you're harsh! 

9 hours ago, huytonman said:

Cheers guys, yes I had a Mk1 CaymanS in silver, bought from RSJ in Slough but wait for it...I traded a 1996 993C4 with full RS bodykit for the Cayman...at the time I was happy with the £23k trade in allowance, being yellow lots of traders wouldnt touch the car...apparently something like that now sells for >60k..c'est la vie! As requested pics of the current motor attached, these are from the original add placed by the OPC in Bristol, the car is now entombed in a PermaBag for the winter, one of the downside of a ragtop at least for me. The Permabag is being used because less than a month into my ownership some friendly rats discovered the dogs food and decided a nice place to store it for future use was the 981...in the process they had a little chew on bits of wiring landing me with a £500 bill...so lesson learned, dog food now in the house, car hermetically sealed!

Keith

boxster.jpg

boxster1.jpg

WP0ZZZ98ZDS123907_WU62GCO_6.jpg

Very nice, welcome! 

58 minutes ago, 987Monkey said:

Dude you're harsh! 

Only because I suspect Keith, with his past pedigree stable, will not be in a crap runabout.

C'mon Keith, can you match Beanoir's brand new M5 daily driver?

by the way, on the subject of M5's, I had an E39 M5 in the mid-2000's, it was a cracking motor and one of the few that I wish I hadnt moved on - thats also probably worth a bit more than I sold it for now too!

1 hour ago, huytonman said:

I want it to last a while so yes its being cocooned until the spring.

Now this is what I just don't get. I do understand the thought process, and even more so when someone has bought, say, a GT3 almost purely as an investment, but for me I couldn't bear to be in an "inferior" car even for mundane motorway and trips to the shops etc.

Do you not think, whilst driving the Merc sometimes, "I wish I was in the Porsche right now"?

My thoughts are "I want it to last a while but every minute it sits in the garage is a minute of enjoyment lost" so mine will do 15k miles a year, out in all weathers, all winter, attract stone chips and other damage, be worth half of what yours will be in 5 years time BUT... enjoyment costs money and I can accept that.

Take it to extremes. If you never, ever, drove your 981 it would depreciate to £20-25k in five years. What have you had in exchange for that loss?

We too have a "sensible" car for the dogs etc but I couldn't bear to stick my 981 in a plastic bag and forget about it for 6 months. It must be driven, and often!

PS. Not having a go at you personally as I don't know you from a Vauxhall Adam!

Each to their own i'd say, on the flip side keeping the sports car in the garage for occasions when the sun shines means it keeps that 'special' feeling for much longer.  Using my GTS as a daily driver does mean it feels pretty much like my daily driver now if I'm brutally honest.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DJMC said:

Now this is what I just don't get. I do understand the thought process, and even more so when someone has bought, say, a GT3 almost purely as an investment, but for me I couldn't bear to be in an "inferior" car even for mundane motorway and trips to the shops etc.

Do you not think, whilst driving the Merc sometimes, "I wish I was in the Porsche right now"?

My thoughts are "I want it to last a while but every minute it sits in the garage is a minute of enjoyment lost" so mine will do 15k miles a year, out in all weathers, all winter, attract stone chips and other damage, be worth half of what yours will be in 5 years time BUT... enjoyment costs money and I can accept that.

Take it to extremes. If you never, ever, drove your 981 it would depreciate to £20-25k in five years. What have you had in exchange for that loss?

We too have a "sensible" car for the dogs etc but I couldn't bear to stick my 981 in a plastic bag and forget about it for 6 months. It must be driven, and often!

PS. Not having a go at you personally as I don't know you from a Vauxhall Adam!

As this is the first year I've done this I wont be able to anwwer your question until the Spring but I'm sure there will be days when I will regret it but I'm not going to lose sleep over it, lifes too short and I can live in anticipation for a few months. Incidentally the 981 isnt exactly the most comfortable of cars for long boring motorway journeys and sometimes there really isnt an alternative to using MWays and on those days if I was in the 981 I would certainly regret not being in a comfortable car like the 320...

Good job everyone is different really isn't it.... 

Not everyone can afford to run such a car as a daily, so having one kept in the garage and running a shed for the boring trip to work where it will pick up all sorts of damage is a way in which they can have such a car.

You might not really care that yours will pick up all of those miles, but others certainly would.