My first Porsche

Barry

Welcome along Barry, the long wait will be worth it! 

With all cars you love, there will no doubt be a teething problem or two. But you're in a good place here to speak to other owners and get some good advice. 

• Like 1

Hi Barry and welcome. You're probably not too far from me.

With the Gen 1 Caymans I believe there were some engine and/or bearing issues (someone will explain better). Have you done the necessary checks to make sure your car is a good one?

DJMC,

Not far at all I'd say. Well funny you should mention getting checks done as I have just been talking to my brother (911 owner) and he has offered to get a porsche garage worker to take a look for me. Spookily enough this same persons garage has serviced the car I'm buying.

Anyway, no warranty offered on the Cayman which is worrying to say the least. I do not want my first Porsche experience to potentially be a problematic one, so will take up this offer. If there are are any concerns I will be happy to walk away. The Cayman provider website states that any inspection is welcome and I think I'd be foolish not to get one done.

Edited by Barry

• 2 weeks later...

welcome Barrie. like you, 6 months ago, I bought my first Porsche, love it, big grin factor. Ive found this site and the OC members really helpful. havnt met any of then in real life yet though.

• Like 1

• Founder

Looks great Barrie, you must be chuffed!  

I'd have it looked over, like you say it could be the AoS or obviously more sinister problems.  However, it could just be the usual puff of white smoke that most of these cars will display from time to time due to the design of the engine.  The main thing is that you have time on your side and can have it checked by your friendly contact and then if it turns out to be something that should be covered by a warranty then you can take it back to the seller and insist it is fixed under warranty at their cost.  

I wouldn't worry though, these cars are to be enjoyed :)  

• Like 1

Looks lovely! Great spec with the sports seats / wheel there. I'd have waited for one with them I think if I had done a little more research before purchase! :sAng_banghead:

Having owned mine for 4 ish months now and put 4500 miles on it since I've started getting a little bit of white smoke on start up. I guess I'll try the air oil separator also (52k now). Though I get what you mean, it's a little worrying given all the horror stories. I managed to get a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty for £850, so it's worth looking into getting one! Though I think the max single claim is 5k, which wouldn't cover a rebuild but would help at least.

• Like 1

It's quite common for these engines to suffer from a bit of bore scoring. It's not usually a big problem but it does sometimes result in a bit of oil seeping past the piston rings when the engine is off. It's a flat six problem. I get it occasionally on start up, it depends on the angle the car has been parked at and the type of journey it last did for some reason. The mileage on yours would be about right for some scoring.

I actually have a 'BAZ' plate that I have had for years. The paperwork for transfer is going through as we speak - but at my age and with the Cayman, it might be a little 'boy racer'?

I have just bought another plate last night (*** BAC), so that might look a little better.

By the way, Mobil 1 0w40 oil or something else? Advice please.

And regards the meet, we are away this weekend, but it's a priority to meet-up at some point going forward for sure.

Barry, welcome. 

Whatever , you'll love the Cayman.

Please don't get your knickers in twist over engine failures , read this, it puts it all into perspective!

http://philipraby.co.uk/porsche-boxster-996-and-997-engines-the-truth/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barry said:

I have just bought another plate last night (*** BAC), so that might look a little better.

Is it G37 BAC? - that would be boy-racer-ish!

• Like 1