How do you drive your Cayman?

Jo3h

So after driving with my Boxster buddy I came under fire for not driving my Cayman like a Porsche. I normally keep rev's under 3k till warmed up then change around 4k, normal driving that is and 6-7k when I'm having a bit of fun. 

Apparently I'm not loosing the engine up enough for the occasions I do welly it. How do you guys drive and is there any truth to this?

I'm pretty much the same as you.

Mine is my daily driver (although I use public transport most days), if I drove my Cayman "like a Porsche" all the time I wouldn't have much of a license left!

• Like 1

Most of my driving is pootling around London at the weekend, a completely inappropriate car for that. About twice a month it gets a longer trip out of town and will be doing a 4-5 track days a year. A more logical (and cheaper)  choice of car for my kind of driving mix would be a hot hatch but I try not to let logic get in the way.

Regardless on which car I drive a always wait for the engine oil to get up to temp.. My daily has an oil temp gauge as well as the water temp. 

It's also left to cool down when I finish driving because it has a....... 

... Turbo...... :sAng_stirthepot:

• Like 1

The one thing I always wish they'd carried over from the Carerra was the oil temp gauge - do miss it on the Cayman. 

I generally wait for water temp to warm up, give it another 10mins and in which time the tyres are warm too.  Then rev away until your hearts content :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am the same with my gt4, until the temps are up I keep it below 3,500 rpm.  In addition to this with current uk temperatures I also make sure I have some heat into the tyres and brakes before I consider pushing it at all.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I try my level best to keep it below 2k revs until the temperature reaches about 75-80 degrees during which I basically drive like I did on the day of my driving test.

(I got the figure of 80 degrees from my AMG as the oil temp indication in that car would be in blue text until you reached 80'C, implying that 80'C is 'warm'. I don't know if this applies to the Porsche flat 6 but I can't be far off)

I then drive it a tiny bit more firmly until it reaches 90'C and then .... well, it's no time for fun as I've reached work lol.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sonnenschein3000 said:

I try my level best to keep it below 2k revs until the temperature reaches about 75-80 degrees during which I basically drive like I did on the day of my driving test.

(I got the figure of 80 degrees from my AMG as the oil temp indication in that car would be in blue text until you reached 80'C, implying that 80'C is 'warm'. I don't know if this applies to the Porsche flat 6 but I can't be far off)

I then drive it a tiny bit more firmly until it reaches 90'C and then .... well, it's no time for fun as I've reached work lol.

I always wait for water to reach 90 degrees, but what about oil? That lags behind water temp but I'm not sure whether it's as vital.

This being the case, I usually wait for oil to get to 90 degrees too, before applying welly.

If you attempt to check the oil level before it's up to temperature, it will tell you exactly that. Therefore, if it doesn't tell you that, it must be up to temperature, which is always later than water getting up to temperature. Once that's happened, then I whenever I get the chance, it's foot down and let the PDK box worry about the red line. I also have the PSE which apart from when I drive the few hundred yards out of the estate, is on all of the time.

One of the things that frustrates me is that if you press the throttle a little too hard, it can drop into 2nd, which means the revs are too high (when cold), so you have to get into 3rd before pushing on. But when it's up to temperature, it's a truly joyous car to drive hard and that's what I bought it for. 

Cheers,

Bryan

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On Thu Mar 16 2017 at 16:12, DJMC said:

I always wait for water to reach 90 degrees, but what about oil? That lags behind water temp but I'm not sure whether it's as vital.

This being the case, I usually wait for oil to get to 90 degrees too, before applying welly.

I'm referring to oil temperature. The way I see it is that the oil temperature is the closest thing we have to engine temperature and I want to wait until the piston/cylinder gap has closed under heat (i.e. pistons expanded) to it's optimal dimensions before asking the engine to do things. I know were talking microns rather than centimetres but still, it's the fine things which make all the difference.

Either that or I've got some strangely outdated idea of engines, I don't know :D