New tyre time

Munch197

It's come to that delicious time when new tyres all round are needed. Currently running on potenza RE050A's that are getting rather geriatric and rears near the wear markers. 

Rather than just take the option of just applying fresh Bridgestones, does anyone else have any other recommendations? Maybe someone that has switched brands for better or worse? N rated or not.

• Founder

I’ve switched away from Potenzas twice, once in a Porsche and once in an Audi S3 - both times I’m glad I did.  

Michelin always impress me, so that generally is what I’d recommended.  If you can get the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in your size then you’re lucky, if not I’d be sticking with the MP Super Sports  (which I have on several cars)  

• Like 1

I have good year eagle F1 assymetric N0’s all around. 

I like them, they seem to offer good grip in both dry and wet with a progressive feel of ‘breakaway’. And they feel reasonably compliant and forgiving in their ride on 19” wheels on horrendously potholed Bucks roads. 

They have proven to be utterly pants in even the slightest flurry of snow / ice, leaving the ‘snow queen’ stranded on the drive a couple of times through December. ?

Not yet tracked her on the GYs, first experience of that will be March. 

The GY N0s are quite an old design of tyre now though, so quite possibly surpassed by the likes of the MPS4 (even if it isn’t N-rated). 

The GYs are often cheaper on the likes of oponeo and mytyres websites. 

However, I’ve not yet had any experience of Michelin’s on a cayman and suspect I will ‘migrate’ to MPSS or MPS4 come the time I need to change, given the great feedback that all users of them report. 

If your car car is not under an OPC warranty then the ‘to N rating, or not to N rating’ is a subject of endless debate on all Porsche forums. 

So that will come down to your personal preference. 

As an aside - I recently bought a replacement (due to puncture) via the just tyres website, which was cheaper than their in store price (the website matches other internet sellers), and was available for next day fitting at my local store, at a time of my choosing. Great customer service experience. 

Edited by Windymiller
  • Like 1

I switched from old Bridgestones to Pirellis cos I couldn't afford to stretch to Michelins that were my first choice. A couple of guys at work are tyre nerds and both do trackdays and Nurburgring events so we went through all the options I could afford, taking into account, dry grip, wet grip, tyre noise, wear, shoulder deformation under cornering, contact patches, car weight and balance, loading and ratings etc. the P zero N1's are actually ok, much better than the Bridgestones that were very noisy , hard on the sidewalls and slid all over the place, but to be fair were probably over 5 years old.  I drove through the snow last week without any heart stoppers and have found them competent in the rain. as I have no plans to track day my daily ride, not having a set of PS4+ boots isn't really a massive disadvantage, the Pirelli's are more than good enough.

• Like 1

I'm glad a couple of you have steered away from the Bridgestone as so far I've not been overly impressed by them with lack of feed back, noise and poor wet performance

The p zero, eagle f1's are the next on the list. Just waiting a price on ps4's or if I can get a set of supersports.

Just got a full, fresh, set of Pirelli P Zero N0's on, after them being replaced under warranty.  The OEM, 4 year old tyres had cracked on the side walls.

Pirelli have told me that there is no longer an issue with these tyres and they had their first run out the other night.  Although not pushed hard, they felt a lot softer than the originals and increased grip.  They have a full 8mm and the originals had 6mm so I suppose that could be expected.

As time goes on, I will give some feedback on their performance.  The customer service from Pirelli has been second to none and that is something I probably wouldn't have considered when selecting a tyre before.

H.

• Like 1

No, or at least marginal. unless you have a porsche warranty but even thats not clear cut I’m told. Standard PSS are available with N marking but are about the same price now as the PS4s, id rather go with the latest tech - and did

• Like 1

I recently changed the rears to Michelin PS4S and they are very good so far. No problems in the cold weather; obviously the real test will come in summer when I can carry a bit more speed through the corners.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. Post much research and consideration as to what the Cayman is used for (road car mainly for weekends with some exceptions) I opted for the Goodyear N0 eagle f1's from oponeo which was both a good price and 3 day delivery from Germany which I can't sniff at. Already noticed the difference in road noise over the Bridgestone

Now for that summer weather to come to put them through their paces. 

1 hour ago, Munch197 said:

Thanks for all the input. Post much research and consideration as to what the Cayman is used for (road car mainly for weekends with some exceptions) I opted for the Goodyear N0 eagle f1's from oponeo which was both a good price and 3 day delivery from Germany which I can't sniff at. Already noticed the difference in road noise over the Bridgestone

Now for that summer weather to come to put them through their paces. 

Good choice ??

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the Mich SS on my Cayman S but I've been running Yokohama AD08R's on my 350z... I realise they aren't "N" rated but they stick like the proverbial on road & track.

Think I'll be buying the Yokohama's next :35_thinking: