PCMs

SimonP

My  2012 987 has a PCM fitted which has I think been upgraded to 3.0. As we all like to get the best out of these devices, I was wondering if it can be upgraded further to one with a jukebox (basically a digital music storage device) so I can store all my collection on the car with having to use Bluetooth etc. Sadly I don't have BOSE so only a single CD slot.

It amazing how many standard features that my 10 year Mondeo 2.2 has that the Porsche doesn't!!

SimonP

• Administrators

I believe all Gen2 cars have PCM3 models (black fascia), the earlier PCM2.1 (grey fascia) were only found in Gen1 Caymans.  

PCM3 did not come as standard with 7 digit post code search, it was done by software upgrade at OPCs (normally at cost!) 

I don’t believe there was a ‘jukebox’ option on 987 cars, came later on 981 - whether the parts are backward compatible is a question for the techies.  

8 hours ago, Tom said:

I believe all Gen2 cars have PCM3 models (black fascia), the earlier PCM2.1 (grey fascia) were only found in Gen1 Caymans.  

PCM3 did not come as standard with 7 digit post code search, it was done by software upgrade at OPCs (normally at cost!) 

I don’t believe there was a ‘jukebox’ option on 987 cars, came later on 981 - whether the parts are backward compatible is a question for the techies.  

Thanks Tom,

id like full postcode addressing - but I can well imagine the OPC upgrade cost will be in the 00’s... ?

think id rather spend the money on a track day.

or some piloti driving shoes..

or a sports design steering wheel...

?

sooooo many (better) things ‘needed’ ?

• 2 weeks later...

Thankfully the previous owner had the Postcode upgrade done and I will have the bill for that somewhere. As for playing music I was pleased to find that there is a built in amplifier on the aux input (under options) so that I can play music linked to my Samsung phone at a reasonable volume. Similar feature is available for Iphones too.

SimonP

I opted for an Android Auto unit as the built-in ICE is ancient tech.

With AA, you connect your phone via USB and off you go... Play music, navigate with maps, make/receive calls.  And it never goes out of date as the head unit is just casting your mobile's display onto it.  You update your phone and your Android Auto updates with it! 

Works the same for iPhone and Apple CarPlay too.  I can snap a pic if anyone would like to see the install.

On 1/5/2018 at 07:44, Windymiller said:

Thanks Tom,

id like full postcode addressing - but I can well imagine the OPC upgrade cost will be in the 00’s... ?

think id rather spend the money on a track day.

or some piloti driving shoes..

or a sports design steering wheel...

?

sooooo many (better) things ‘needed’ ?

Slightly off topic but Nav update to include 7 fig postcode search is  Part number: 997 044 908 60 and is listed at £329 for OPC, I got mine slightly cheaper :-)  but completely agree that Porsche systems seem to be about 5+ years behind the drag curve when it comes to tech.